The Movies Make It Look Easy

Chapter Forty Three

Happy Christmas everyone!! Or...you know...whatever you celebrate...
Here is my present to you...I hope you enjoy (even though it’s a pretty boring Chapter)!!

Kaz xoxo

*************************************************************

Chapter 43

Shannon’s P.O.V:

‘I see what you mean’ Nick said after Kylie and Holly left.
I shivered slightly from the cold I was only now beginning to feel.
I cocked my head in a silent question.
‘About your friends, they’re something alright’
I laughed, ‘that’s sort of an understatement, but very tactful. Now can we go inside?’
I hopped up off his lap, not waiting for a reply, and practically ran for the doors to the main shopping centre.
I just barely managed to dodge an old couple coming out the doors, laden down with bags. They both looked at me disapprovingly, and I called a ‘sorry’ over my shoulder as I went past.

I stopped a few feet away from the doors and took in my surroundings. The small, colourful train that drove from one end of the building to the other snaked past me, a few kids with a mother or a father laughing delightedly from one of the tiny carriages.
Christmas songs played over the speakers, and elaborate decorations were hung up everywhere.

Being here reminded me of being back at school, when you’d always see at least three people you knew at the weekend.
It was a strangely comforting feeling. People had always told me how different college would be, and how sheltered school life really was. I’d brushed aside their comments without a second thought, but being back here made me realise how right they’d been.
I slowly started to move forward, taking my time to just watch the other shoppers.
I made my way past shop after shop, knowing Nick would eventually catch up with me.

I stopped mid-step, causing a harried looking middle-aged man to bump into me. I glared after him as he moved off; cursing under his breath, before turning my head back to the bench just in front of me.
The inevitable had happened – I saw someone I knew.
He looked up and I knew the moment he realised it was me, a cheeky grin lit up his face.
I smiled and quickly made my way over to him.
‘Tell me I’m hallucinating’ he said immediately, but continued on before I had a chance to even open my mouth.
‘I must be hallucinating because the Shannon I know and love would never come home without calling me with exact details’
He glared at me and I sighed, giving him my best sad face.
‘Sorry Sean, I’ve been really busy, otherwise you know I would have called you’
He eyed me for another moment or two before another grin broke out across his face like the sun poking out from behind a dark cloud.

Next thing I knew, I was being encased in a pair of strong arms.
‘As long as it doesn’t happen again’ he said firmly, ‘I’ve missed you Babycakes’
I giggled happily, hugging him tightly, ‘missed you too sweetie pie’
Sean and I had known each other for years, having gone through school together.
He was one of those people you just couldn’t help but love. He was nearly always in a good mood, though he could be more moody than a girl on her period.
Whenever I saw him, I always thought of a teddy bear. He was just...cuddly – though he didn’t have an ounce of fat on him.
He had spiky, reddish-brown hair, and the cutest dimples that added to his charm.
‘How have you been?’ I asked as I pulled away.
He shrugged, ‘same old, same old. How are you Chica?’
I started to answer when Sean looked over my shoulder with one eyebrow raised. I turned my head, following his gaze to see Nick stomping towards us – he didn’t look very happy.

I just rolled my eyes at his dramatics.
He cast me a dark look before coming to a stop beside me.
I sighed, looking at Sean again, who was watching us with amusement.
‘Sean, this is Nick. Nick, this Sean’ I gestured half-heartedly between them.
‘Well this is a surprise’ Sean said mildly, giving me a meaningful look.
I grimaced at him while Nick slipped his hand into mine. I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes again – I knew what he was up to.
Sean glanced at his watch, ‘I’ve got to go Chica; I presume I’ll see you on New Year’s’
I nodded.
‘Good’ he said approvingly, ‘we have a lot of catching up to do’ his gaze flicked to Nick; ‘it was nice to meet you Nick’
Nick just nodded tightly at him.

When Sean moved off, I rounded on Nick, pulling my hand from his grasp.
‘There was no need to be so rude’ I said angrily, trying to keep my voice down.
‘Well there was no need for you to run off’ he said darkly.
‘I shouldn’t have to babysit you. But we both know that’s not what this is about’
‘I don’t know what you’re talking about’ he sniffed.
‘Tell me you didn’t see me hugging Sean and decide to storm over here and act like a freaking cave man’
I sighed when he just shifted uncomfortably in front of me, before I took his hand again and began to walk.
‘Sean’s one of my closest friends’ I told him, ‘we went to school together’
I paused, glancing at him out of the corner of my eye, ‘he’s been in love for like three years now...not that that matters of course. It’s not like you were insanely jealous of him or anything’ I grinned.
‘I wasn’t jealous’ he said with as much dignity as he could muster.
I laughed, ‘yeah, sure. Did I mention he’s gay?’
He glared at me, ‘you could’ve told me that’ he muttered.
I laughed again, ‘it’s not exactly something you tell people straight away. I was hardly going to be like; “Nick, this is Sean – he’s gay”, just because you got jealous that I hugged the guy’
Nick just sniffed and refused to answer.
I chuckled, ‘come on, let’s go have food’

I started to drag him towards the Bagel Factory, already dreading the grilling Sean was going to give me when I saw him again. He was the world’s biggest gossip and he was going to want every detail concerning Nick...and more importantly, Nick and I.
He wrapped his arms around me and rested his chin on my head as we waited in line.
‘I’m going to have to apologise aren’t I?’ he sighed.
‘Yup’ I told him happily, ‘you were kind of acting like a douche...oh and holding my hand in front of him wasn’t obvious at all’ I said sarcastically.
He snorted but didn’t say anything.
When we got to the top of the line, I ordered two chicken Caesar bagels.
‘Do I not get a say in this?’ Nick asked in some amusement.
‘Nope’ I said, popping the ‘p’.
We walked to the cash register, and foreseeing a problem, I decided to skip the drama.
‘Go find us a table’ I said imperiously, ‘sometimes it’s really hard to find an empty one’
I pushed him towards the cluster of tables – already seeing three free ones – just in time for the bagels to arrive.
I paid for them as quickly as I could, looking surreptitiously over my shoulder the entire time.

Nick frowned when he spotted me weaving through the tables towards him.
‘It’s hard to find an empty table?’ he asked wryly, gesturing at the numerous free tables around us.
He frowned, ‘you just wanted to pay didn’t you?’
I grinned, ‘guilty...you know me so well’
He glared at me, making me sigh, ‘come on Nick, you pay for everything – just let me have this one time’
‘Fine’ he huffed, angrily taking a bite from his bagel.
I watched eyebrows raised as the frown melted from his face.
‘Good?’ I asked.
‘Why have I never gone to the Bagel Factory before?’ he said before taking another bite.

We spent around another hour wandering around.
Nick was the one carrying shopping bags when we left – and not because he was being a gentleman...he just likes to shop.
I raised my eyebrows at him as we were getting into the car.
‘I love the way you’re the one who dragged me around the shops – isn’t that supposed to be my job?’
He just stuck his tongue out at me.
It’s always nice to have a mature conversation, I thought to myself in amusement.
‘So where are we going on New Year’s?’ Nick asked as I pulled out of the parking space.
‘Eh, I think Holly’s having something at her gaff, but I don’t know the details yet. Everyone will be there’
‘Who do you mean by everyone?’
I grinned, ‘like everyone I went to school with, and then a lot of other people we’ve met over the years. Like, we’d meet people from different schools on nights out and at all the rugby matches. My school was big on rugby’
‘So there’ll be people like that guy – Sean is it?’
‘Yup, Sean and his long-term boyfriend, Jamie will be there’
‘So you’ll know everybody?’ he was leaning against the window, watching me as we talked.
I spared him a quick glance before concentrating on the road again.
‘No, not even close. There’ll probably be a load of their friends from college that I won’t know’
He nodded slowly, ‘so this is going to be a big event’
‘Oh yeah, probably’
We were silent for a moment.
‘You know we’ve never been out together’ I said.
‘What do you mean?’ ‘
I mean, like, out out; to a club or a bar or something’
His face brightened, ‘my birthday’s coming up soon’
I groaned, ‘I have to get you something don’t I?’
‘Of course’ he grinned.
I cursed under my breath – I had no idea what to get him.
I’d have to think about it – his birthday was really soon, only a week or so after we got home.

It didn’t take long to reach my house.
Nick yawned as we got out of the car, ‘you know we haven’t been out of the house in so long that walking around Dundrum actually made me tired’
I laughed, ‘I know, it’s a vicious cycle’ I said as we made our way to the front door.
‘I think I need a nap’ he said mischievously, ‘want to join me?’ he waggled is eyebrows suggestively at me, making me grin.
I didn’t get a chance to answer him though, because the front door opened and somebody launched themselves at me, almost knocking me over.

I fell back against Nick, and felt his arms come up to steady me.
‘Nice to see you too Katie’ I wheezed as she squeezed me tighter.
Eventually, she stepped back and patted me on the cheek; ‘it’s been too long Sweetie’
I nodded in response.
Adrian appeared in the doorway behind Katie and grinned at us as he wrapped his arms around her shoulders.
‘How was your Christmas?’ I asked, raising an eyebrow at the person in front of me.
Katie was tiny, with hazel eyes, light brown hair and a smattering of freckles across her nose. She was twenty three and was just starting out as a primary school teacher. She had a very loud personality and was one of the nicest people I’d ever met.
She and Adrian had been together for years – at this point all of us were just waiting to get the call to say they were engaged.
‘It was good – but I’m happier now that I’m here’ she said casually with a bright smile, before turning her attention to Nick.
‘Katie, this is Nick. Nick, this is Katie – Adrian’s girlfriend’ I introduced them.
She stuck her hand out, eyes twinkling, ‘you live with this one here don’t you?’ she chirped, nodding towards me.
Nick reached around me to grasp her hand, ‘yes I do, it’s nice to meet you – I’ve heard lots about you’
Katie laughed, winking back at Adrian who rolled his eyes, before looking back to Nick, ‘likewise...hopefully that’s a good thing for both of us’
Nick laughed, squeezing my shoulder once before we made our way inside.

Katie linked arms with me, dragging me in the direction of the kitchen.
‘Are you enjoying being home?’ she questioned.
I nodded vigorously, ‘it’s so nice to see everybody...but I have to admit, I like the freedom of not living at home’
She chuckled, ‘I know what you mean. It’s not the same coming to visit without you being here covered in paint or charcoal’
I smiled, ‘you probably just miss me “subtly” changing the subject when mum bugs you about why you and Adrian haven’t done the right thing and gotten hitched yet’
She grimaced slightly, but it was gone within seconds.
‘Seriously though, I miss having you around, I think I’m just going to have to come visit soon’ she winked.
I smiled widely at her, ‘please do, I’d love to have you over, I’m sure we‘d find room for you somewhere – you are tiny after all’
‘Hey’ she mock pouted, pushing me lightly.
I laughed – Katie didn’t appreciate comments about her size.
Did that stop me? No!

I glanced back over my shoulder to see Nick and Adrian talking quietly a couple of feet behind us.
I got an almost giddy feeling in the pit of my stomach at the sight of them laughing together as if they’d known each other for a lot longer than...had it really only been three days?
It felt like a lot longer.
When I turned back around again to see my mother eyeing the four of us shrewdly, I wasn’t sure I liked the calculating look in her eye.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, yeah...Chapter 43...
Comment?
As a Christmas present to me?
Haha

Kaz xoxo