The Movies Make It Look Easy

Chapter Forty Eight

Chapter 48

Shannon’s P.O.V:

It seemed as though I’d made the right choice.
Nick grinned at me happily as he dragged me through the gates and into the playground.
I figured the playground would be the best place to go to just have fun and act like kids...and judging by the goofy smiles on my friend’s faces, my logic was pretty sound.
I looked around and was relieved to see that we were alone. I could just imagine the disapproving looks we’d get from parents trying to spend a nice day with their kids. Besides, knowing Mark, he’d probably get into a fight with a five year-old over who’d get to use the swings next – we’d probably be kicked out.
I pulled my camera from my pocket and snapped a picture of my four friends, all going in different directions.
I skipped after Jay, and when I caught up, linked my arm through his and pulled him over to the swings.

I felt like a little kid again as I started to go higher and higher, my stomach dropping slightly when I started my descent.
I put my heels down after a while, slowing myself down until I eventually skidded to a halt.
Jay continued to swing beside me, and I pulled out my camera again, snapping a photo of his laughing face. It was one of those pictures that had no posing or preparation – I preferred them, they were more natural.
I zoomed in on where Nick and Nicole were racing each other to the slide, before turning the lens on Mark.
When I looked back at the picture after taking it, I burst out laughing. I continued to laugh as I stared at the photo, until Jay eventually came to a halt beside me and whipped the camera out of my slack hands.
He burst into loud laughter, and that of course just spurred me on. We ended up leaning against each other, out of breath from laughing too much. I looked up to see Mark in still in the same position.

While Nick and Nicole had headed for the slide (they were now walking over to us to see what was so funny), Mark had walked straight over to the seesaw, on the other side of the playground.
You’d think the fact that he was alone would stop him, but no. He continued to push himself up and down on the seesaw, a wide happy smile on his face. Sometimes, I swear he’s a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
When the others reached us, Jay just silently held out the camera as we continued to lean on each other. Nicole took it and she and Nick put their heads close together to see what we were laughing at.
Nicole began to giggle and Nick’s lips twitched as they both turned to look at Mark – still on the seesaw.
‘He looks like such a creeper sitting over there by himself’ Nick said through his laughter, ‘he’s the epitome of Stranger Danger’
At that moment, Mark looked up to see all four of us staring at him, in stitches. He raised one hand and began to wave enthusiastically, completely oblivious to the fact that we were laughing at him.

I felt Nick take my hand and suddenly I was pulled from the swing. I glared at him as he sat down but didn’t get a chance to say anything before he pulled me down onto his lap.
I rolled my eyes but didn’t bother complaining – why would I? I loved being close to him.
‘That’s better’ he whispered, resting his head against mine as he interlinked our fingers.
I just smiled even though I knew he couldn’t see it.
There was a sudden flash of light and I looked up to see Nicole pointing the camera in our direction, a smug smile on her face. I stuck my tongue out at her but didn’t make a big deal – I could always delete it later...cue evil laughter.
God, I was weird, I thought with an internal sigh.
I focused on Nicole and Jay who were sitting exactly the same way as Nick and I...have I ever mentioned that they’re a really cute couple?

Mark eventually joined us...he obviously grew bored of the seesaw.
When he was standing in front of the swings, he glanced between us, his brow furrowed. I knew exactly what he was thinking...fifth wheel.
He might joke about it, but I knew it must be hard.
I stood up and away from Nick (ignoring the pout on his face) coming to a stop in front of Mark.
‘Wanna come get food with me?’ I batted my eyelashes at him.
He rolled his eyes, ‘as long as you’re buying Sweetcheeks’
I snorted, ‘we’ll see. Let’s go’ I grabbed his hand and started dragging him back the way we’d come, calling back over my shoulder to let the others know where we were going.

We walked hand in hand down the street – it felt nice.
I so rarely spent time with just Mark...Nick or Jay were always around.
‘So, what’s up with you and Lover boy?’ Mark wondered aloud as he swung our hands between us.
I shrugged, ‘I don’t know’
He eyed me sceptically, ‘I don’t believe you’
‘Believe what you like, but I’m serious’
‘Well, are you going out? Nick’s being unusually tight-lipped’
I smiled slightly; I’d say Mark found it extremely frustrating not knowing exactly what was going on.
‘No’ I said, answering his question.
‘But...’ he trailed off, obviously not knowing what to say.
I laughed, ‘I told you I didn’t know. It’s complicated’
‘But you like him?’ he persisted.
‘I guess I do’ Even as the words came out of my mouth, I wondered why I was saying them...why wouldn’t I just admit that I loved him?
I focused on Mark again when he started to speak, pushing my disconcerting thoughts to the back of my mind.
‘Well for the record, I think you’re both idiots’
‘Why so?’ I asked, interested to hear his opinion.
Surprisingly, he started to laugh. I sent him a confused look, stepping closer to him to avoid being knocked over by a jogger plugged into her iPod.
‘If you have to ask me that Sweetcheeks, I’ve given you far too much credit’
I just stared at him, wondering what the hell he was talking about.

He stopped abruptly and dragged me into a shop to our right.
‘Let’s get food here’ he said, pulling me further into the shop.
Honestly, I’d completely forgotten about food.
As he browsed the shelves, I daydreamed, blindly following him over to the counter to pay.
I wasn’t hungry. I’d only suggested going to the shop to give us something to do. I was turning Mark’s words over and over in my mind, why did he think we were being idiots?
As far as I was concerned, Nick and I had come a long way since we’d first met. I found it strange to think that we’d practically hated each other at the start of the year. Now we spent most of our time together.

I was startled out of my thoughts by Mark shaking me.
I glanced around, noticing we were outside before focusing on him, ‘what the fuck Mark?’ I glared at him.
He placed a hand over his heart and sighed dramatically, ‘thank God. I thought you’d turned into a zombie or something’ he smiled adorably at me, making me laugh; ‘you’re such a freak...have I ever told you that?’
‘Possibly’
I just rolled my eyes; it was like trying to have a conversation with a five year old...it really didn’t get you anywhere.
‘Come on, I’ll give you a piggyback if you want’
Well...if he was offering...
I skipped over to the nearest bench and stood on it, and he obligingly came to stand in front of me.
Ah, it was nice to have slaves, I thought evilly as he began to slowly walk back to the playground and the others.
‘Mark?’
‘Yeah?’ I paused for a moment, ‘You know what we were talking about earlier?’
‘How you Nick are idiots?’ he prompted.
I rolled my eyes...man, I did that a lot.
‘Yeah...can you not tell him about our conversation?’
He was silent for a moment, ‘Okay’ he finally agreed.
‘I’m serious Mark, please don’t say anything’ I said emphatically, not believing him when he said he wouldn’t.
For some reason, I just didn’t want Nick to know we’d been talking about him, about us.

Not wanting to think about it anymore, I looked around for something to change the subject to. I frowned as I looked at Mark’s empty hands supporting me...didn’t we just go to the shop to get food?
‘Umm...Mark?’
He grunted in reply...lovely.
‘Did you not get any food?’ I was really confused.
He laughed, ‘I bought a cookie, but you were so spaced out you didn’t notice me eating it’
‘Oh...’ I trailed off before I thought of something even more important; ‘you mean you bought a cookie and you didn’t give me any? What the hell Mark?’ I pouted even though I knew he couldn’t see it.
He chuckled, ‘Chill Sweetcheeks, I got you this’ he stopped mid-step as he rooted through his pocket.
He produced something small and dropped it into my outstretched hand.
‘Aw shucks Mark, you shouldn’t have’ I grinned as I ripped the wrapper off the cherry flavoured Chupa Chup lollipop as best I could and stuck it in my mouth, throwing the wrapper in a bin as we passed by.
‘Thanks Sweetie pie’ I said sweetly, taking the lollipop from my mouth so I could lean forward and give him a peck on the cheek.
‘You’re welcome Sweetcheeks’ he replied in satisfaction.

It didn’t take long too long to reach the playground, we hadn’t gone all that far.
The others were still gathered around the swings, chatting and laughing. They turned their attention to us when they noticed Mark carrying me over on his back.
When he came to a stop, I slid back to the ground, walking up beside him, my lollipop still in my mouth.
‘Where did you two go off to?’ Jay teased, waggling his eyebrows suggestively.
Mark and I exchanged looks.
‘Okay, I just can’t take it anymore’ I announced dramatically, wrapping an arm around Mark’s waist. ‘We’re in love’ I said loudly, looking off into the distance.
‘You’re in love?’ Nick asked in amusement, watching me from the swing.
I nodded, ‘it’s tragic really. An illicit affair between two people who were just never meant to be together’
I raised the back of my hand to my forehead and tried to look suitably tragic...yeah, nobody else believed me either...
‘I think she’s on a sugar high’ Mark laughed, making me drop my hand and glare at him.
Nick held out a hand to me, ‘I’m heartbroken’ he said drily.
‘You would be if it was true’ I grinned.
He didn’t argue, just pulled me over to him and wrapped his arms around my waist. I stood between his legs and placed my hands on his shoulders.

He pulled me down for a kiss.
I just managed to pull the lollipop from my mouth before our lips met. I felt him run his tongue over my bottom lip, but instead of deepening the kiss, I pulled away when I heard loud groans from our companions. I just stuck my tongue out at them as I sat on Nick’s lap.
‘You taste like cherries’ he whispered.
I grinned and held out my lollipop to him, ‘want some?’
He nodded, but kissed me again instead.
When he broke away with a self-satisfied smirk on his lips, I frowned at him, ‘I meant the lollipop idiot’
His smirk widened, ‘really? I could’ve sworn you meant...’
I shut him up by shoving the aforementioned lollipop into his mouth.
‘That’s better’ I smiled as I nestled my head into the crook of his neck.

We made full use of the playground over the next couple of hours, eliciting the help of a poor, unsuspecting stranger to take a photo of the five of us going down the slide.
It was dark by the time we all trudged back to our apartment.
We were so tired that we pretty much collapsed when we got inside.

It was a good day.
♠ ♠ ♠
I’m really sorry it’s taken me so long to upload, and I’m doubly sorry that it’s going to be another while before I’ll have the time to upload again (damn exams).
I’ll try my best though.
I was wondering what everyone thinks is going to happen between now and the end of the story? I mean everyone must have ideas... please comment and let me know? I’m curious :)

Thanks again for reading,
Kaz xoxo