The Movies Make It Look Easy

Chapter Fifty Three

Chapter 53

Shannon’s P.O.V:

The apartment was eerily silent as I flicked off all the lights and went into my room, shutting the door behind me.
I stood beside my bed, debating the merits of having a shower now or in the morning. I chose now; that way I wouldn’t be under as much pressure in the morning.
I took my time, doing a number of girly things like moisturising and exfoliating that I didn’t usually have time for these days.
I took the time to do those things because it was either that or stare at the ceiling – I wasn’t in the mood for reading or going on the computer.
I was almost certain that this was the first time I’d spent the night alone in the apartment.
Even before Nick had practically moved into my room, he’d always only been a few feet away.
I found that I missed him; I was used to his presence, even when we weren’t touching, or even in the same room.

Mark and Jay had dragged him out to celebrate…well, nothing really, they just wanted to go out.
Both Nikki and I had been invited but Nikki was home visiting her family and I had declined because my classes started up again tomorrow. I was determined not to miss the first class back after the Christmas holidays, and I definitely didn’t want to turn up hungover. So I’d opted out of socialising in favour of staying in like a good student…sad, I know.
I hadn’t been alone all that long though because Nick had decided against pre-drinking, and he didn’t go out until around eleven.
Part of me felt bad because I knew that the reason he hadn’t gone pre-drinking was because he didn’t want to leave me. The other part of me though, was grateful that he’d stayed at home for as long as he did.

I rolled over onto my side, reaching my arm out until my fingers lightly grazed the cold spot in the bed beside me; Nick’s usual place.
I reached over to turn off the light and lay in the dark, willing myself to go to sleep, to fall into oblivion.
Sadly, it didn’t come.
I couldn’t help wondering what Nick was doing and where he was.
Was he with the guys or was he with random people?
Was he drinking?
Was he thinking about me?
I sighed in frustration, knowing there was no point in dwelling on thoughts of Nick, especially when I knew I wouldn’t get answers until morning, at the very least.
What surprised me the most was that I felt no jealousy whatsoever; not at the thought of Nick being out with the guys, drinking and probably talking to random (slutty) girls.
Even though I knew his reputation, I firmly believed that he wouldn’t even think about doing anything shady.
I was relieved that I wasn’t experiencing any irrational jealousy; the type that screams of needy people and a lack of trust.
I smiled slightly to myself at the thought and felt my mind ease, finally able to drop off to sleep.

I wasn’t sure exactly what it was that woke me, but I vaguely recall my eyes blearily opening as I heard the faint sound of a door shutting.
The small part of my brain that did wake up knew that it must be Nick coming home. Normally I would have called him into my room but I knew that if I woke up properly, the chances of me getting back to sleep were slim.
So with that half thought, I fell back asleep and didn’t move again until my alarm went off the next morning.

When I woke up, I felt surprisingly refreshed and for once wasn’t cursing the morning with everything I had.
Those kinds of days were so rare, so few and far between that I decided to take advantage. I rolled out of bed and stretched happily, a small smile making its way onto my face. It was a feature that, in the morning, was sadly rarer than a dodo.
My stomach rumbled ominously, demanding that I go get breakfast.
I took a small detour on the way to the kitchen though, into Nick’s room.
I wanted to spread my sudden good mood - the fact that he was probably horribly hungover and not in the mood to put up with me was an added bonus as far as I was concerned.
I never said I wasn’t evil…or vindictive.

I opened his door, stepping into the near blackness, and my smile grew into a grin as I skipped over to the bed and jumped on it. I felt him stir beside me, slowly coming into consciousness.
‘Good morning’ I chirped, reaching across him to flick on the bedside light.
Dark eyes blinked owlishly at me in surprise and I positioned myself so I was lying on my side with my head propped up on my arm as I looked down at him with a smirk.
To my surprise he actually smiled and took my hand.
What the hell? Where was the grumpy Nick I was expecting?
‘Morning’ he said, clearly his throat slightly.
‘What the hell is wrong with you?’ I asked, looking at him suspiciously.
He looked startled; ‘uh…nothing? Well, besides the usual’ he added as an afterthought with a rueful smile.
I rolled my eyes, ‘why aren’t you holding your head and groaning in pain while simultaneously cursing me for waking you up at this God awful hour?’ I asked all at once, taking a deep breath when I was finished.
‘Because Sweetheart, you have to drink to get a hangover’ he said with a slight condescending tone and smile.
Now I was truly baffled.
‘You mean to tell me that you went out and didn’t drink?’ I asked incredulously.
‘I came home early too’ he grinned.
I immediately reached out with my free hand to feel his forehead - nope, no temperature.
‘Whatever is the world coming to?’ I asked, pretending to be shocked.
He chuckled quietly as he began to play with my fingers. ‘Apparently I was being boring’ he continued as if I hadn’t spoken.
It was sad really that these days not drinking and getting wasted was synonymous with being boring. That being said of course…I could definitely see the attraction.
‘I heard you coming in’ I told him.
He grinned, ‘did you miss me keeping you warm last night?’
I snorted in derision, ‘I loved it actually. There was more space. You should go out more often’
Admittedly, I was lying through my teeth when I said it.
‘Too bad’ he grinned, ‘you’ll just have to put up with it’
I rolled my eyes, ‘putting up with you will surely get me into heaven’ I clasped my hands and raised my eyes to the ceiling as if begging for mercy.
He grabbed me around the waist and pulled me across him. ‘As an atheist, I take offense to that’
I laughed, ‘my traditional catholic family won’t approve’
He kissed me lightly; ‘I better start believing then’
I just laughed again, part of me wondering how the hell we started talking about such random things.

We lay in silence for a while until I finally pushed myself off the bed.
‘Come on’ I told him, ‘I’m starving. I’m going to make breakfast’
Without waiting for an answer, I headed for the kitchen, humming under my breath. I worked quickly, pulling together a pretty amazing fry – if I may say so myself.
Nick joined me at the table to eat.
‘I made breakfast so you can make dinner’ I told him.
I could tell he wanted to argue but he obviously decided that it wasn’t worth it.
‘Okay’ he nodded.
I seemed to be cooking for him a lot these days and as far as I was concerned, it was time to even things out. Besides, he had a pair of perfectly good hands, why couldn’t he use them?

We’d barely taken two bites when the front door opened and Mark sauntered in.
I rolled my eyes; ‘you know it’s polite to knock’
He looked at me strangely, ‘why would I bother? It’s only you two’
I glared at him, exasperated, ‘it’s nice to be appreciated’ I didn’t even try to hide the sarcasm.
His eyes wandered down my chest, ‘I appreciate you’ he said fervently.
‘Are you this nice to Nikki?’ I asked; my sarcasm undiminished.
‘Nope’ he said sitting next to me and slinging an arm around me. ‘You’re special’ he smiled.
‘Lucky me’ I wrinkled my nose.
‘I won’t stop annoying you until you and lover boy make it official’ he whispered so only I could hear.
‘What, so that’s my punishment?’ I snorted.
He nodded happily.
I rolled my eyes again, ‘something tells me that even then you won’t stop annoying me’
‘So you admit that it’s inevitable’ he grinned in satisfaction.
‘You’re impossible’ I muttered.
Nick looked at us in confusion while he continued to eat.
As I was looking across at him, unable to tear my eyes away from his, I didn’t notice Mark’s hand snaking out until it was too late.

I looked down at the empty space in front of me and then over at Mark who was happily eating my breakfast. I pouted as both guys laughed.
Without warning, I reached out and swiped Nick’s plate and the fork from his hand. I took a satisfied bite of his food while he stared at me in shock.
Mark burst out laughing and high-fived me.
With a pout, Nick reached out to take the plate from Mark, but Mark wouldn’t let go.
They were like two dogs fighting over a bone, I thought with a sigh.
‘If you make a mess, you can clean it’ I told them, feeling like I was talking to two children.
Mark immediately backed off, obviously not liking the thought of having to clean.
Nick quickly ate the measly amount that was left on my original plate before eyeing the food in front of me hungrily. I’d had a lot less to begin with so it didn’t surprise me that he was still hungry.
I pushed the plate over to him, absolutely stuffed. My stomach just wasn’t as big as his; I’d long ago resigned myself to that fact.
I stood up from the table.
‘Are you sure you don’t want this?’ Nick asked, gesturing to his breakfast.
I shook my head with a small smile and went into my room.

I took my time getting ready, knowing I didn’t have to rush. It was only just after nine and my first class didn’t start until ten.
I threw on a pair of skinny jeans, warm boots and a woolly sweater. It was quite a nice day for January – the sun peeking from behind a sparse blanket of cloud – so I figured I could get away without a jacket.
I was fast becoming sick of winter clothes.
I grabbed everything I’d need before leaving my room.
Nick and Mark had moved to the couch and were furiously playing some game (it was their main occupation these days) while alternately shouting abuse at each other and the screen.
I was happy to see that the breakfast things had been cleared away (I’d bet anything that it had been Nick and that Mark hadn’t lifted a finger to help).
I gave them both a kiss on the cheek before leaving.

I plugged my iPod in and took my time to walk to the right building, making sure not to bump into the many students hurrying around. It was nice to be on time for once.
I had Art History first, something I wasn’t looking forward to.
There was also something else about the class that I wasn’t looking forward to but I pushed that thought from my mind. I didn’t want to have to go to my class after lunch either, but again, I pushed the thought aside.
I’d just get worked up over nothing.
I walked into the half-empty classroom, walking to a desk at the back with my head down.
I turned off my music when I was settled and stared out the window to my left while studiously ignoring everybody else in the room.
I didn’t even let myself stare out the corner of my eye, knowing that I’d be tempted to turn my head and look around the room, and make me think about things I didn’t want to.
I let my thoughts wander to Conor and I felt excitement build inside me. I’d spoken to him two days after Nick’s birthday. He had promised to come visit, he just didn’t know when.
I knew he’d probably just get the cheapest flight over whenever he could, without much warning.
It wasn’t like he had to worry about accommodation; he’d be perfectly welcome to stay with Nick and me for as long as he liked. We had two bedrooms after all, not to mention a perfectly good couch.

I glanced up when I noticed a girl making her way down the aisle between the rows of desks. The teacher had arrived without me realising and the class had begun.
The unfortunately dressed girl, who I recognised from around campus, handed me a sheet of paper from a stack in her hand.
I thanked her and she moved on with a smile. I was pretty sure her name was Nevaeh.
I barely glanced at the sheet (it was something to do with Fra Filippo Lippi’s influence over Botticelli’s work, and his exceptional talent for drawing the human form; the face in particular) before staring out the window again.
I hated this class; I’d realised that not long after I started college and I knew I’d probably drop it for my second year.
Until then, I had to get through just over three months; each class more mind-numbingly boring than the last.
I was close to falling asleep from sheer boredom when class finally ended.
I hurried out the door, one of the first to leave. I was desperate for some fresh air.

I wandered slowly, debating as to whether I should go home before my next class.
I wanted to but I knew that if I did, the chances of me leaving again for my next class would lessen as each minute passed.
I was still wandering aimlessly when I felt my phone vibrate against my hip.
I eased the slim black phone from my pocket and flipped it open, sighing when I saw my mother’s name flash across the screen.
‘Hello?’ I asked tentatively.
‘Shannon’ my mother’s voice spoke into my ear and I winced at her tone; she wasn’t happy.
‘How are you?’ I asked hesitantly.
‘I’m doing fine, but then you wouldn’t know seeing as you never call’ her voice became sharper with each word she spoke.
I winced again. I hadn’t talked to her properly – not including the odd text of e-mail – since Christmas.
‘Sorry mum’ I sighed, ‘I’ve been really busy. No news is good news right?’
‘Well, I’m sorry for wanting to know how my daughter is doing and what’s going on in her life. Should I just wait for something to happen before contacting you?’ her voice was practically caustic now and I was tempted to hold the phone away from my ear to see if it was smoking.
‘I really am sorry’ I said, ‘it’s just that Nick and I have- ‘
She cut me off, ‘Nicholas? How is he? Did he get the cakes I sent him for his birthday?’
I rolled my eyes; this was completely typical of her. ‘He’s fine mum. He loved the cakes; he ate them all immediately…I don’t think he even stopped to breathe.’
She made a sound of approval, ‘such a nice boy. Bring him home for a visit again soon will you? We’d all love to see him again’
‘Aww, do you miss him?’ I teased.
‘Shannon’ she said in warning and I immediately shut up.
We were in different countries; separated by miles and miles of land (not to mention the Irish Sea) and I was still afraid of her.
‘Such a polite boy’ I heard her murmur – most likely to herself – and I had to stifle my laughter.

‘So what’s the news from home?’ I asked, pretending I hadn’t heard that last bit.
She immediately launched into a spiel about every little thing that had happened since I had last seen her.
Apparently Ryan had a new flavour of the week, but my mother barely mentioned it, saying only that “it probably won’t last longer than two weeks”.
I didn’t really blame her. If we tried to befriend every woman Ryan went out with…well, let’s just say it would be pretty difficult, maybe even impossible…
She was much more interested in discussing how Adrian still hadn’t proposed to Katie.
‘They’re not getting any younger after all’ my mother spoke seriously, ‘and I want grandchildren before I’m too old’
I listened in amusement, not even attempting to make any sort of comment; she wouldn’t listen anyway.
I felt sorry for Adrian and Katie – I had no doubt in my mind that my mother probably made thinly veiled comments all the time.
They’d get engaged - I knew they would – when they were ready so there was no point in rushing them.

It was then that my attention was completely diverted.
‘Eh mum, I have to go. Send my love to everyone and I’ll call you soon’ I hung up, cutting off her surprised reply.
I’d been walking slowly while I was on the phone to keep warm, not paying attention to where I was going. I took a deep breath, trying to steady my heart rate before looking at the figure keeping pace with me.
‘What do you want Lee?’ I asked, struggling to maintain any trace of civility in my voice.
I edged slightly to the left, keeping a bit of distance between us as we continued to walk.
He shrugged, ‘I just wanted to talk to you. I wanted to after class, but you left so quickly…’ he trailed off, shrugging again.
‘Do you blame me for not wanting to talk to you?’ I asked incredulously.
Was this guy bi-polar? I mean he was literally talking to me as if nothing had ever happened.

He sighed, stopping and placing a hand on my elbow. He had time to lightly caress my arm once before I jerked it from his grip.
He just looked at me for a moment, his grey eyes unreadable. ‘No, I don’t blame you’ he said softly. ‘Look, Shannon, I’m so sorry for everything that happened between us, between you and Nat. I never meant for any of that to happen’
‘But it did’ I said stiffly.
He was acting like the Lee that I had first met and had feelings for, but I now knew what he was really like and I wasn’t about to fall for any of the bullshit that came out of his mouth.
‘I know and I can’t tell you how sorry I am about that’ he said, his voice taking on an edge of desperation.
‘You told Natalie that I cheated on you’ I said coldly.
‘Look, can we just forget about all of that and start over? I know everyone would love to be friends again and I, well I would like to make a go at things again. We were good together’ he reached out to put his arms around me but I quickly stepped back.
‘Don’t touch me’

I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. I had a feeling that none of the others knew he was here, despite his claim that they all wanted to be friends again. I also just loved (note the sarcasm) the bit about us being good together.
We were together for what, three days? I couldn’t even remember at this point.
Even if Nick wasn’t in the picture, I still wouldn’t even consider taking him up on his offer.
‘What do you say?’ he asked hopefully, bringing me back to reality.
‘No’ I said, deciding not to beat around the bush.
‘No?’ he repeated, the hope draining from his expression and voice. ‘But why?’
I snorted, I just couldn’t help it.
‘Besides the obvious?’ I said snidely, ‘I’m with someone’
The last remnants of hope on his face died, quickly being replaced with anger and frustration.
‘Please tell me it’s not your douche of a roommate’ he said through gritted teeth.
I rolled my eyes, ‘that really isn’t any of your business’ I said.
‘It is then’ he said angrily. ‘God Shannon, I’d understand if it was anyone but him’
I stayed silent.
‘I can’t stand the thought of you fucking him’ he clenched his fists in anger.
‘Do you always have to be so rude?’ I burst out, ‘Jesus Lee, it’s so unnecessary. I’m with Nick and I don’t want anything to do with you. Ever’
With that, I turned and stormed in the opposite direction.
I refused to look back, but I knew that if I did I’d see him standing exactly as I left him; his face a picture of anger, fists clenched by his side as he glared after me.

I barely made it to next class on time; my altercation with Lee had taken longer than I thought; not to mention the conversation I’d had with my mother.
I sat at my usual seat, Natalie on the opposite side of the room - as far from me as she could get.
I got a sudden urge to burst into tears but I wouldn’t let them come – they weren’t worth it.
She ignored me throughout the whole class (further confirming that what Lee had said was a lie) except when we were leaving and happened to reach the door at the same time, both of us trying to be the first out of the classroom.
With a glare, she pushed past me, practically flattening me against the doorframe as she went by.
Gritting my teeth and counting to ten, I followed after her, making sure to keep a good distance between us.

I walked home despondently, my hands shoved into my pockets. It had turned into a really shitty day.
It was with a sigh of relief that I closed the apartment door behind me. I let my bag drop to the ground and my head fell back against the door as I closed my eyes tightly.
The living room was silent, Mark obviously having left.
I opened my eyes again when I heard Nick’s footsteps.
On my way home, I’d decided not to tell him about my conversation with Lee. He’d just get really angry and probably make things worse.
I just wanted to forget what had happened.
‘Bad day Sweetheart?’ he murmured as he came to a stop in front of me.
I just wrapped my arms around his waist without a word and buried my face in his neck.
I felt his arms come around me and his lips in my hair and I immediately relaxed.
‘What happened?’ he asked quietly.
I sighed, ‘nothing, it’s just a pain having to go to class after being on holidays for so long’
He stayed silent and I could tell he was sceptical.

Sometimes having somebody know you so well was annoying; it was harder to fool them.
‘My mum called’ I said to change the subject.
‘Really?’ Nick chuckled.
‘Yeah’ I sighed, ‘she wasn’t happy with me’
‘Why?’
‘Because I haven’t called her in ages. Changing the subject to you though put her in a good mood. She wanted to know if you liked your birthday present’
He laughed, ‘really? I called her after I ate them to thank her’
I looked at him strangely, ‘I didn’t know that?’
He sent me a half smile, ‘I think you were in the shower’
‘You’re so weird’ I groaned.
No wonder my mother was practically in love with him and thought he was “so polite”.
‘I swear if you weren’t already an adult, she’d have adopted you already’
He laughed, ‘what can I say? I’m quite lovable’
I just rolled my eyes, leaning against him completely.
He sifted his fingers through my hair, ‘I’m actually glad that I am an adult’
‘What? You don’t want to be adopted by a scary old woman who likes to feed you continuously?’ I smiled against his skin.
He pulled back slightly so he could look at me.
He reached up to brush my hair back from my face, his finger trailing lightly along my cheekbone as he looked at me thoughtfully. ‘I want many things in life Sweetheart, and none of them include me becoming your brother’
I smiled slightly as I reached to kiss him.
I already felt so much better after just talking to him for two minutes; not to mention how adorable he was.

True to his word, Nick made dinner.
It consisted of a pasta dish with random bits thrown in. I wasn’t complaining – it was good. By the time it was ready I was ravenous.
My bad mood came back as we ate dinner and my mind had time to dwell on everything I’d pushed back, everything I didn’t want to think about.
When we finished, Nick cleaned up without a word and stood just looking at me for a while when he returned, a calculating look in his eye.
I couldn’t make myself meet his gaze, instead focusing all my attention on the table.
‘Do you want to watch a movie?’ he asked eventually.
I looked up and nodded - a movie was just what I needed.
‘I’ll even watch a chick flick if it’ll put you in a good mood’ he offered.
I grinned, ‘no need. I’m in the mood for an action movie; lots of violence and death…definitely no romance or cheese’
Nick quirked an eyebrow and his lips twitched but he didn’t comment.
‘I think I have a few on my laptop, we can watch it in bed’
A slow, seductive grin began to grow on his lips; ‘and here I thought I’d have to work to get you into bed’
I gave him a look but he ignored it and continued to grin, ‘this day just keeps getting better and better’ he pulled me out of my seat and threw me over his shoulder, walking into my room in a few long strides, depositing me on my bed.
He disappeared back to the kitchen to make tea while I changed into pyjamas and set up the movie.

When we got into bed, I cuddled up next to him, my head on his chest as I sipped at my tea.
He kept his free arm firmly around me, stroking my hair or my arm as we settled in to watch Salt; a smile on my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think I uploaded that pretty quickly, well for me anyway :D
I counted at least THREE ironic things in this chapter and I hated every single one of them :(
What those three things are should become clear pretty soon (some in the next 2-3 chapters)…but feel free to guess :)
Vote, comment, etc… you know the drill…
I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Kaz xoxo