‹ Prequel: Angel Warrior
Status: Active!

Sacrifice

.5.

Image

They both looked at me, Kyna socked and amused and Mordecai annoyed and angry.

“I’m not an animal,” he growled, stressing each word.

“You might as well be,” I said without thinking, “You sure are acting like one.”

Another growl left his chest as Kyna just stared.

I looked him over, making a show of observing his stance, “I’m thinking a wounded animal…”

His growls and grumbles grew louder as Kyna spoke, “How do you figure?”

“Well,” I studied his face, “An aggressive animal, one who is challenging, will just make a move- attack first, but” I smiled, “a wounded animal will growl and display aggression, but won’t move into a fight if it doesn’t have to.”

Mordecai’s smile was full of malice, “Wounded, huh? Well, how’s this for a display.”

Before Kyna or I could do anything Mordecai palmed one of his swords, slamming me against a wall.

I glared at him, my face reflecting off the pristine metal as it rested against my neck, “Let me go.”

“Mordecai please, there has to be another way. Why can’t we just take her back and ask her parents for protection? They’d help us right? If we brought you back?”

I didn’t look at her, I don’t want to see the hope in her eyes dwindle away.

Instead I held eye contact with Mordecai, “My dad, though his is a fair and loyal leader, can be ruthless. Your brother grabbed me against my will and took me to an undisclosed location. I really doubt my dad’s willing to negotiate.”

“But,” I could hear the tears in her voice, “what about God? Won’t the Lord know that we’re good people struggling through a hard situation?”

I frowned as pain entered Mordecai’s eyes, finally turning to look at Kyna, “I don’t know. No one really does know what the Lord will do in any given situation.”

“But we can ask right?”

I sighed, “We can always ask, but you should ask yourself if you can handle the answer first.”

“We have no choice, we have to try.”

I looked back at Mordecai, his expression a little sad.

He sighed, stepping back from me and sheathing his sword, “Fine, I haven’t called my client yet. We’ll leave tonight, after everything’s settled.”

I watched as he turned away and entered a room down the hall.

I look back to Kyna’s ecstatic face, her radiant making me a little sad.

She has no idea just what she’s sacrificing tonight.

Mordecai will never live long enough to speak his case, not with all the sins his lifestyle entails.

~*~

The night was dark, just a few stars glittered a violent red as we flew in the air.

And by we, I mean Mordecai and Kyna flew.

I was bundled in Mordecai’s arms, my wings tied together just tight enough to insure I couldn’t fly away.

Oh, the humility.

Sighing I lay my head back over my shoulders, watching as the landscape passed by upside down.

“You’re going to pass out with all that blood flowing to your brain.”

I glared at him, “Why do you care?”

“I don’t, but Kyna would be devastated.”

I opened my mouth to say something, but Kyna beat me to it.

“Look, the temple!”

Pulling my head up I watch as we flew closer, a sense of peace washing over me.

After landing at the door Mordecai let me down, but made sure to keep a hold on my arm.

“Come on!” Kyna cried, running into the temple.

“Kyna, wait!”

Mordecai ran after her, pulling me behind him. Just as he entered the temple the heavy door slammed shut on its own, locking us in.

The interior was so dark I couldn’t see my own nose, making it hard to walk.

“Kyna?” Mordecai called quietly

But instead of the young girl calling back a deep growl echoed through the darkness, ending in a mighty roar.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry!

I had school Tuesday so I couldn't put up a chapter.

Wednesday my college was hosting a special guest that I could not miss... Jane Goodall!

It was awesome, she had a greatly inspiring speech and signed my book on big cats and took a picture with me.

And did you know that the JGI started in Tucson? My home town?

Awesome.

I couldn't miss that, now could I?

So, even though I had school today, I made sure to update... since you all would probably riot if I didn't...

And I have a great idea for the new story. It's a Quasar story - are you excited, smurf? - and those of you who have no idea what Quasar is I suggest reading my stories Slave: The Fight to Save a Species and Freedom Is The Choice Between Love And Duty to understand the background and characters.

Thank you!