Defying Legends and Logic

Close Encoutners

“So, can I ask what you want me for? I’m still a little confused here.” I asked hesitantly.

“Haven’t we gone over this? You are more aware of the creatures like me in this world than other people. That must mean that you are an elemental. So I can’t allow them to get their filthy hands on you and use you against my kind.” Keitaro said in a monotonous tone,

“Whoa whoa whoa! Back up! What’s an elemental? And why is that important? Why me?! And who’s this them you keep talking about?” I asked in a near panic.

“One question at a time shorty! I think it would be better to simply show you than explain it, but unfortunately I am not willing to die just yet, sorry princess. They are the human organization that is bent on using you against my kind.”

“Why should I, a weak human, be any kind of threat to your kind? I’m so not following…” I trailed off.

“Just bear with me. In time, you will understand. You are so much more than a simple human,” Keitaro said as he lifted me to my feet. “Come on, we don’t need to be here anymore, they have temporarily lost track of your scent. Let’s go before they find you again.”

Keitaro started to walk away from me. I didn’t really want to lose the faint line of him I could see in this dark, so I followed clumsily. He stopped abruptly and flipped a switch. The ridiculously dark room was suddenly flooded with light, burning my eyes.

“Sorry, the fact that most humans can’t see in the dark slipped my mind until now.” He said, not sincere at all.

“ You say ‘humans’ like you can see just fine.” I said with a small scoff.

Keitaro shook his head. “I can see in the dark, you dork. I would think an intelligent person like you would know that!”

My mouth must have dropped down comically in disbelief. How would humans know all the fine details about mythical creatures anyway? That’s ridiculous!

I gathered my wits, replaced my jaw so I didn’t look like a freak and said, “Guess you were never afraid of the dark then huh?”

Keitaro chuckled lightly a bit. “Alright, now really, it’s time to get a move on,” he said.
With great precision, my stomach decided to make known the fact that I was exasperatingly hungry to this vampire companion of mine. Under my breath, I cursed slightly, being a burden to him would probably not make him fond of me.

“Hungry human, just what I need. I hope you don’t expect anything special. All I can do is make instant hot chocolate or ramen or something simple like that,” Keitaro said.

To be honest, I was amazed he cared and was even able to do that much as far as human cooking goes. Didn’t seem very traditional vampire like. “That works. Thanks,” I replied lightheartedly, just glad that I was going to get some food.

!~Flashback~!

Cocoa had always been a favorite of mine, but my mom’s was always the best. It always had a sweet and thick texture to it unlike anything else I had ever tasted. Whenever I had a bad day, I could count on mom's hot chocolate to cheer me up.

I reached up to wipe the tears from my eyes as Keitaro handed me a mug that was apparently filled with cocoa. The second my hand came in contact with my hand, a small chip on the side of the mug cut my finger and made me drop the mug.

-silence-

A small drop of blood fell all too quickly.

-silence-

I watched tensely for Keitaro’s reaction. How much longer until he snapped? Would he give in to the temptation in front of him or was his will power stronger than that? I thought I knew the answer and shivered inwardly, afraid once again for my life.

I sensed rather than saw Keitaro crouch to spring. Cringing into myself, I turned away, not wanting to watch my own demise. When I realized that nothing had happened in a few seconds, curiosity got the best of me. I turned back around and noticed that Keitaro was struggling against someone. An extremely beautiful girl who looked to be about seventeen was holding him back single-handedly!

“Calm down, Kei,” She said, in an angelic yet businesslike voice.

Keitaro’s face slowly shifted from blood-driven frenzy to a slightly calmer, but still tense expression. He leaned away from the girl, crossing his arms across his chest as he leaned against that wall.

“Ame, long time no see. I thought they had finally caught up to you. I was beginning to be concerned,” a hint of a smile played at the edge of his lips.

“It’d take a lot more than those cowards to catch me, nice to hear that you were concerned though,” Ame said with a slight flick of the wrist and rolled her eyes.

Watching this exchange, I realized just how much it bothered me to see Keitaro act so casually around her. And she called him Kei. What, was he her dog or something? Wait, why am I so irritated…? I thought to myself.

I must have had a strange expression on my face because Keitaro turned his face to the side a little and looked at me quizzically.

“Hey, you alive over there Shiori?”

Shiori. He’d never said my name that way before, like he cared even a little about me.

“Shiori,” he repeated.

If only he really did care. I’m just his prisoner though, I guess it’s too much to expect him to care…Or is it?

“Shiori! I’m talking to you!” Keitaro said, raising his voice a little louder than I would have liked and shaking my shoulders, as though I was a child daydreaming. Then again, I sort of was daydreaming.

I shook my head slightly so that my hair was out of my face.

“Yeah, I’m fine, sorry,” I said slowly.

Keitaro’s hands left my shoulders and fell to his side. He sighed.

“Had me a little worried there kid,” He muttered.

Ame walked up behind him and rested her hand on his back.

“We really should get going, shouldn’t we Kei?” She asked, oblivious to the jealousy growing in the pit of my stomach at the affection she showed to Keitaro.

“Ugh, I suppose,” I was satisfied a little that he seemed irritated with her rather than showing the same affection.

Great, I’m so going to regret caring about my vampire captor later when I become his next meal…I thought, shuddering slightly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the late addition, but I hope that this chapter was worth the wait! I try to make these especially long, so it takes me a bit to finish the chapters. Anyway, comment if you would, thanks! See you in the next chapter! :D