Sequel: Where Are We Going?

Cocky Brat

Stubborn Egos & Broken Hearts

Billie Joe finds himself alone for the first time all day so he decides to call home. Five rings later and the answering machine comes on, he presses his message access code, sometimes Adie leaves him messages.
"You have 2 messages," the robotic voice states.
"Hey Joey, its Vanessa. I guess you're not home right now so I'll just leave you my home number- Hello-Joey-Hi Ness, nice you to come around...." Billie listens intently to the entire message in utter shock.

He ends the call, not even bothering to listen to the second message and dials his son's cell phone.
"Hey Dad," his son's voice groans.
"You're a fucking retard!" he yells at the top of his lungs.
"What?" Joey asks shocked.
"You heard me! You're a fucking retard! I thought I raised you better!"
"What are you talking about?"
"I was listening to the messages, I heard what you said to that girl!"
"Just lay off, okay, I can handle my own life."
"Obviously you can't," Billie states, "do you think I won your mother over with an attitude like that?"
"Don't bring you and Mom's story into this."
"No I will bring in any story that sets you straight!"
"Listen Dad, first she pretends to hate my guts then we're all over each other and then she hates my guts again and now- I can't keep playing this stupid game."
"Well love is a stupid game!" Billie roars, "It makes you do stupid things and makes your head spin! That's why you wouldn't desist till she went out with you! So don't say you don't want to play this stupid game because you were the first one to roll the dice!"
"Your metaphors suck old man."
"Your attitude sucks foolish child," Billie says cocking an eyebrow. "And I realized something, you don't deserve her. If you can't even suck it up and be a man you don't deserve love."
"How could you say that? I'm your son."
"Right now you're being a jackass," he chuckles at the irony, "maybe you are a cocky brat after all."
"Well award winning children are raised by award winning parents."
"Funny, your brother turned out fine!" Billie yells angrily as he hangs up the phone.

***

After bawling her eyes out for what seemed like hours she picks up the phone and dials her cousin's number.
"Hey Ness."
"He hates me," she sobs.
"Joey?"
"Mmhmm, I called him to say, to say," she sniffs, "to say sorry and he told me it was my turn to suffer."
"Oh Ness."