Sequel: Where Are We Going?

Cocky Brat

It's All His Fault

It's all his fault those were the words that repeated in Vanessa's head the whole flight back to California. It continued throughout the week.

"Ness! Snap out of it!" her aunt says startling her.
"Sorry Aunt Kayla." She says going to tend to the customers in the crowded restaurant.

Vanessa hated waitressing, the smell of the same food, day in and day out. The dress code, the nauseating chef trying to make corny jokes funny.
"Can I take your order?" she asks for the umpteenth time that day.
"Just coffee and a sesame bagel." The man mutters, not even bothering to look at her when he's speaking.
"Right away." She sighs as she goes to take the order to the chef.
"Working hard or hardly working." The chef chuckles. Vanessa plasters a fake smile to her face and walks away. This is all Joseph Marciano Armstrong's fault!

"Hey you're on break." Her cousin Annie says as she ties her apron around her waist. "My mom wants to talk to you."
"Yeah okay." Vanessa sighs as she heads to the back of the restaurant, through the door marked Employees Only.

"Vanessa, I've realized you've been slacking off." Her aunt Kayla states simply as Vanessa takes a seat across from her at one of the break tables, "It wasn't like this last year." Vanessa looks down at her dark red finger nails, "If you weren't my niece, I'd fire you. But since you are and I care for you, mind telling me what's going on?"
"My mom didn't tell you why I'm here?"
"Well she said you got laid off."
"I wasn't laid off, I was fired."
"Oh, why's that?"
"I went out with the client's son."
"But isn't the client . . . . you went out with the rock star's son!" she exclaims in amazement.
"Yeah, he kept asking me out, and I finally gave in and well I fell for him now this and I am just really pissed off now! And last thing I want is people on my case!"
"Wow, well I don't know what to say." Kayla mumbles, "Just leave the attitude at home, you know I can't treat you or Annie differently from the other employees, so buck up."
"Yeah okay." Vanessa mumbles as she heads out the door.

She goes out the back door to where the dumpster is. She pulls out her cell phone to check her messages, she wasn't expecting any calls, she just needed something to do.
07/21/2014 11:03PM Joe-leen
07/21/2014 12:46PM Joe-leen
07/21/2014 02:10PM Joe-leen

Joe-leen was the alias name Vanessa put for Joey in case her mother caught a glimpse of her caller display. She deleted them without even bothering to listen to them, he was constantly leaving messages on her cell phone.

"Wanna smoke?" another waitress asks as she joins her outside. The red cigarette box held up in her hand.
"No thanks." She says out of habit. Her fellow waitress lights up and she watches carefully, right now she knew what Joey meant how tempting it was when the stressed built up. She debated whether or not to take one for a good few moments before heading back inside for a soda.

*
"Get up!" Adrienne yelps at her son, annoyed.
"What's the point?" he mutters as he buries his head in the pillow. Ever since Vanessa left he went from his hotel room to one of the cots on the bus.
"You haven't been outside since that girl left!"
"So?"
"So nothing, get your ass out of bed, now!"
"Mom, I don't feel like it."
"I'll let you smoke, just get some sun you're paler than a ghost."
"I quit." He mumbles, "And you've never seen a ghost."

Adrienne goes to the front of the bus where Jakob is watching television.
"Jake, I know I hate it when you and your brother fight?" she says slyly.
"Mmhmm."
"Well, I'm turning a blind eye for the next five minutes." He smirks, "On the condition that he comes outside for a walk with me." Jakob turns off the TV as his mother leaves the bus.

"ARRGGGHHHH!!!!" he yells as he runs to where the cots are. He kicks his brother in the ribs and drags him off the cot. He sits on his older brother's chest and starts smacking his face and arms. Joey tries to fend him off. "Give up bitch?" he grunts, "Do ya?"
"Yeah, I give up." Joey gasps as Jakob gets up.
"Mommy wants to go for a walk with you."
"Just tell her-"
"Not an option, just get your ass outside." He says getting kicked in the butt in the process. Joey pulls on a pair of shoes and heads outside.

"Nice to see you up." Adrienne says smiling.
"Yeah." He says bitterly, "Since when did you know I smoked?"
"Your father told me when he found out, I chose to ignore it." She says quickly, "Shall we?"
"I rather walk alone." He grumbles.
"Like your father." She sighs, "Okay."

Joey starts down to his left on his walk around the barren outdoor venue. He pulls his cell phone out of his pocket the check for the millionth time that day to see if she called him back.
0 messages

"Joey!" someone calls after him. He stops dead in his tracks and turns around to see Ramona running after him.
"Ramona, please just-"
"I'm going to walk with you." she says firmly, she probably got her stubbornness from her dad.
"What do you want?"
"Okay, its been almost two weeks, so what happened with Vanessa?" he sighs.
"Well she had the day off and I went over to her motel and well." Ramona giggles, "Fine I'll say it, we were getting it on."
"Naturally." Ramona says laughing.
"Anyway, after the major romping and-"
"Screaming." She adds in laughing.
"Well we were just lying around and kissing and shit when her mom and boss walked in!"
"Oh wow, way to make a good impression on her mom."
"Shut up." He snaps, "So she got fired."
"Ahh."
"And now she won't return any of my calls."
"I could see why."
"Then please explain it to me!" he says aggravated beyond his wit's end.
"Well, you're the one the initiated the relationship, and probably initiated such romp. In lack of someone to blame she's chosen you." Ramona says thoughtfully as her cell phone starts to ring.

She pulls her cell phone out of her pocket and her face lights up at the site of the number.
"Hello you." she says walking away from Joey. "I miss you too babe." Joey just rolls his eyes, she was rubbing it in his face. Wondering why Vanessa was blaming this on him, she could've said no to sex and he would've restrained himself and jerked off on his own till after her contract.

Though hopeless he dials her number once more . . . .