Status: Finished

When She Cries

Chapter 31

Image

"Elle?" I was sitting on my bed, just staring at the ground. "Are you ready?" Val asked, poking her head into my room.

"Why do I have to go?" I mumbled, just wanting to curl into a ball and continue to hide from the world.

"Because, Sweetie, we need to get things sorted out," she said, sitting next to me on the bed, wrapping her arm around my shoulders.

"I just have this... This feeling."

She frowned. "What kind of feeling?" I shrugged. "It's okay, Elle. We'll all be there for you."

I looked up, shocked. "Everyone?"

"Hell yeah. Do you really think anyone was going to let your dad do this by himself?"

"I guess not."

She stood up. "Come on." She grabbed my hand walked me down stairs.

"Let's go," was all Dad said as soon as we were down stairs. He still really hasn't said anything to me, and it was just making me feel worse.

Brian saw my expression, because he walked over and wrapped his arm around me. I wrapped my arms around him and buried my face into his side. "It'll be over soon, Elle," he said softly, as we walked out to the cars.

When we pulled up to Mike's house, I felt like I was going to hyperventilate. Brian squeezed my hand reassuringly, before getting out of the car. He waited for me to climb out also, before wrapping his arm around me again.

Dad rang the door bell, and we waited for someone the answer the door. "Can I help you?" Mike's dad asked after opening the door.

"Are you Mike's father?" Dad asked, and he nodded. "We need to talk."

"Um, alright. Come on in." He held the door open wider for all of us to walk in. "Elle, it's nice to see you again," he said, smiling politely. We all went into the living room, some sitting and some standing. Val had me sit next to Dad and her on the couch. "Now, what can I do for you?" Mike's dad asked.

"Is your son home?" Uncle Jimmy asked, trying to control his already rising anger.

"Yes, he's in his room."

"Could you call him out? This involves him." Dad said.

"Just a second. Mike!"

I could feel my body starting to shake as I heard his bedroom door open. "Yeah, Dad?"

"Come to the living room for me!"

I felt someone place their hand on my shoulder as a comforting gesture, but it didn't help. "What's up?" Mike asked, walking into the room. He cautiously looked around the room, then his eyes landed on me. There was a look in his eyes that made me want to crawl under a rock.

"Mr. Sanders wants to talk about something," Mike's dad said.

Dad nodded, before setting his gaze on Mike. "Well, we're here to sort some things out. Mike and my daughter have been dating for a while now. What hadn't come to our attention was that he was abusing her."

Mike's dad's eyes widened, before looking questioningly at Mike. "Son? Can you explain yourself."

Mike had a panicked look on his face. "She's fucking lying! She's just saying that for attention!"

"Oh yeah?! Then how the hell do you explain her wrists?" Brian yelled.

"Roll your sleeves up, Noelle," Dad said.

"Dad-"

"Now." Instead of arguing, I just rolled them up.

"There is plenty more for proof," Brian said.

"Proof for what?" Mike snapped.

"The police, that's what," Dad snapped back.

Mike looked at his father. "You're not really going to let them get away with this, are you?"

His dad sighed, shaking his head. "I don't know what's wrong with you, I honestly don't. I know I taught you better than this."

"Dad!"

"No, Michael. This is a serious matter."

"Not only was your son beating her, he also raped her, ending up getting her pregnant," Uncle Jimmy continued.

By now, Mike's dad was fuming. "Dad! You're seriously going to believe them?!"

"The evidence is right there, Michael! Why wouldn't I?!" Mike shook his head, before he punched the wall. I jumped and grabbed Val's hand.

"Shh, it's okay," she said soothingly. Mike stocked off, leaving his dad still angry.

"I don't even know where to start," he mumbled. "I know sorry won't cut it, but I am sorry for my son's actions. I don't know what could have gotten into him."

"Drugs," Uncle Jimmy stated bitterly.

"Whatever needs to be helped with, we'll help, especially with the baby. He'll be paying child support, whatever you need."

Dad nodded shortly. "We'll be getting the police into this, I hope you know," he said, standing up.

Mike's dad sighed and nodded. "That's fine with me."

"Yeah, well, it's not fine with me," Mike snapped. I looked over, and the worst fear possible ran through me.

Before I could register what was happening, I was being pulled over the back of the couch, and a loud bang ran through the living room.

Image

Image