Status: Finished

When She Cries

Chapter 32

Image

I sat in the plastic hospital chair, glaring angrily at the floor. This was all my fault, all of it was my fault. Why didn't I just keep my mouth shut?

"Elle?" Zacky knelt down in front of me, resting his hands on my knees. "You want to go get something to drink with me?" I simply shook my head.

"It would be good for you to get away from here for a little bit," Uncle Jimmy said softly. "We'll call you guys the minute we hear something."

I saw I wasn't really getting a choice here as Zacky took my hand and helped me out of the chair. "Do you mind if I come?" Michelle asked.

"Of course not, Chelle," Zacky said.

The three of us started walking around until we found a little coffee shop. They ordered some coffee and Zacky got me a hot chocolate. "I'll be right back," Zacky said after we had sat down at a table.

"Are you okay, Sweetie?" Michelle asked, putting her hand on top of mine. I pulled it back and held both of my hands in my lap, staring down at them. "Elle, say something, please. You haven't said a word since we got here," she pleaded.

I looked up at her, angry tears forming in my eyes. "What am I supposed to say?" I asked, my voice cracking.

"Oh, Sweetie." She wrapped her arms around me in a side huge. "He's going to be okay."

"But he wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for me!"

"Why would you say that?" She asked, pulling away and wiping a few of the tears away.

"Because! If I hadn't of told him, then Mike wouldn't have shot him, and he would still love me!"

"Elle, if you would have kept that in, it would have eaten you alive. You shouldn't have kept that in. Your dad would have been even more upset if something really happened to you because you didn't say something. And he does love you, there's nothing in the world that can keep him from loving you."

"Then why is he acting like he doesn't? He hardly says anything to me, let alone looks at me."

"Because he's blaming a lot of this on himself. He wanted to always be there to protect you. Being that he just found out about you, he hasn't been able to be there for you you're whole life. So he wanted to protect you from anything and give you everything."

"I think I know what I have to do to make him forgive me," I mumbled after a few minutes of silence.

"Elle, you don't have to do anything, because there isn't anything to forgive."

Yes there is

*Michelle's P.O.V.*

My heart was breaking at everything Elle was saying. She was confused and exhausted, I knew that much for sure. For some reason, she felt like everything was her fault. Like it was her fault that Mike beat her and got her pregnant. Like it was her fault that Mike shot Matt and that's why he's now in the hospital.

What were we going to do with her?

"Ready to head back?" Zacky asked, walking back over to us. I nodded and stood up. Elle slowly followed, off in her own little world.

"Did she talk to you at all?" He asked quietly as she walked in front of us.

"A bit."

"What'd she say?"

I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. "It's bad, Zacky. We can't let her out of our sight, that's for sure." He gave me a worried look. "She just keeps blaming herself for everything. She thinks she has to do something for Matt to forgive her and love her again."

"What?" I simply nodded. "I didn't think she was this bad off."

"Put yourself in her shoes, Zack. So much has happened to her over such a small period of time. Now this? She finds out she's pregnant and her father gets shot. How do you think you would handle it?"

"I would probably jump off a bridge."

I looked at him. "Exactly."

As soon as we were back with the group, Elle went back to her own little corner. Everyone gave her a worried look, before looking back at us.

"Any word?" Zack asked as I went over to help Brian comfort my sister.

"The doctors haven't said anything yet," Jimmy said, his head in his hands.

"How's Elle holding up?" Brian asked softly, kissing my forehead.

"Not too good," I sighed, sitting on the other side of Val. "Hey, Hun. You want some coffee?" I asked softly.

"No thanks," she said softly. "How's Elle?"

Val was always trying to be the super hero. She always tried to stay strong for everyone in the toughest of situations. When she was about to break down, she was still there to comfort someone else.

"How are you?" I asked, trying to distract her. She looked at me with tear filled eyes. I just held out my arms and she collapsed into them.

"I can't lose him, Chelle. I just can't."

"Shh, it's okay. It's all going to be okay." I rocked her back and forth, trying to some what comfort her until we heard some news on Matt.

*Elle's P.O.V.*

I've managed to stay in my corner. No one has really come over, but I was fine with that. I just wanted to be by myself. To be left alone with my thoughts...

"Sanders family?" Everyone practically jumped up at the name.

"Is he okay?" Val choked out.

The doctor sighed. "He's extremely lucky, that's for sure. The bullet went into his shoulder, so not much damage was done. He will be very sore for a while though."

"Can we see him?" Johnny asked.

"One at a time." He nodded, before walking off.

Everyone turned to me, still in my corner. I didn't like all of their eyes on me. "Elle, why don't you go first?" Val said softly. I started to shake my head, but Uncle Jimmy wasn't hearing it. He picked me up and carried me all the way to Dad's room.

"We're right out here," Brian said softly, before gently pushing me into the room.

The room was dark and quiet, except for the beeping of the heart machine. I slowly walked over to Dad's bed, not knowing what to do.

"I'm so sorry, Daddy," I whimpered, softly touching his hand.

He stirred slightly, but didn't wake up. "Val." As soon as the name left his lips, I felt a single tear slide down my cheek.

I walked back out the door, not bothering to make any contact with them. "He wants Val," was all I said, before walking off.

I knew what I had to do, and I was going to do it.

*Michelle's P.O.V.*

I left for a few minutes so I could run to the restroom, before I came back and saw Val was missing. "Where's Val?" I asked confused.

"In the room with Matt, Elle said he wanted her," Leana said.

My heart sped up. "Where's Elle?"

Image

Image