Status: Finished

When She Cries

Chapter 6

Image

Anger swelled up in me when I heard her say that. "Sweetie, we aren't going to hurt you," I said as softly as I could manage. I walked over and slowly sat down on the bed next to her. "Noelle, look at me," I said, stroking her hair. She raised her head slightly to look at me just above her knees. "I don't know why you're so scared of us, but you have no reason to be. We aren't going to hurt you, so you need to stop thinking we will." I felt a bit harsh saying it that way, but she couldn't keep going on like this. "Okay?"

"Okay," she whispered in a quivering voice.

"I have an idea. What makes you happy?" Johnny asked her, sitting on the other side of her.

She stayed quiet for a few minutes, pondering if she should answer. "Dancing," she finally said.

"Why don't you put some music on and dance, then?" He asked, trying to distract her mind from what she was previously thinking. I had to give him props for that.

But a sinking feeling came over me when the light left her eyes. "I can't."

"Why not?" He asked, confused.

"Dad didn't like me to..." she mumbled, looking at the sheets on the bed.

"Well Connor isn't here now. If you want to dance, then you can dance," Jimmy said stubbornly, crossing his arms over his chest. Her eyes shot up to look at him, so many emotions swimming through them. His eyes softened when they met her's.

"Really?" She whispered, almost afraid to ask.

"This is your house now as much as it is mine. You can do anything that you set your heart to. If you want to dance for five hours straight, then go for it," Matt said, a hint of a smile showing on his lips.

"See?" I said, smiling down at her. "This is your new home, Sweetie. There's nothing to be afraid of."

"Other than your uncles being freaks." Leana shrugged. We all laughed and rolled our eyes.

"Thank you," Noelle whispered, smiling softly.

"For what?" Johnny asked.

"Taking me in." She finally looked up to meet his eyes.

We all looked at each other, not knowing how hard this new journey was going to be. It was obvious this girl needed us. Even if she wasn't Matt's daughter, we all would have still taken her in.

Whatever Natalie and Connor did to break this poor girl, we were going to find out. Because no child should live in fear like this.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for Heather; because I promised her I would update this today :]]