Love Complicates Everything

Chapter 7

The next day I woke up with a headache and butterflies in my stomach. I was definitly nervous.

My mother made me breakfast and then she quickly left for the meeting with Dr. Park.

"Good bye, honey. And good luck!"

I nodded.

"See you later," I mumbled through spoonfulls of cereal.

Then I ran to my room to get ready. Hopefully the rest of the band will get there early so we can practice a bit.

But i have to admit that so far we're pretty good.

Besides, the hardest parts of a song are the guitar and vocals and Tom and I have been practing those for at least a month.

The charity event as being held in the school's auditorium. There were already a few people there, setting up.

A woman directed me backstage.

"You'll be last to perform," she said.

I nodded. Good. More rehersal time.

When I got backstage I saw that quite a few performers were already there. There were 3 bands including us, 5 soloists, a magician, a comedian , an acting skit by the drama club, and some group dancing.

I was happy to see that Tom, Gustav, and Georg were already there.

"Hello!"

"Hi."

"Hey."

"Hi."

"So...should be practice a bit?" Georg asked.

I nodded.

"Yeah, but quietly."

Tom got out his guitar. It was a beautiful black and red electric guitar, and it must've been expensive.

"Nice guitar. How did you afford that?"

"Oh, mom's been sending me money."

"What?! How much money?"

"Only $50 a week."

"ONLY $50? She doesnt' give me any money!"

"Well maybe she just feels sad for sending me away. Its probably guilt money."

"She should be giving me guilt money! I'm the one who has to live with the crazy woman everyday!"

He laughed.

"Good point. But, hey, it was a good thing I did have the money!"

He looked at the guitar proudly.

I laughed.

"Yeah, and now's the time to use it! Hey, are you two ready?"

Georg and Gustav nodded.

"Ok, let's start then."

An hour later the event started. From what I was told, each person had to pay $15 to get in, and it all went to hospitals and homeless shelters

Also, people can donate money in the name of their favorite act , like voting. The act with the most money donated wins.

But we probably weren't good enough. After all we literally threw the band together in like a month with only a day's rehersal time.

As we sat backstage, waiting, I began to get more and more nervous.

What if I forget the lyrics?

What if I trip and fall?

What if my song sucks?

There were so many ifs! And none of them positive.

Tom saw how nervous I was and held my hand.

Truthfully, we hand never held hands before, so it was nice. But maybe we shouldn't of...

I forgot that no one except us, mom, dad, and Dr. Park knew about our relationship.

Not even Georg or Gustav knew.

I hated keeping it private but if everyone reacted to it even half as bad as mom did then that'd be terrible!

After an hour and a half of speeches and lousy amateur entertainment, we were up. I stood at the side of the stage while the principle announced us.

"And now, for our last performance, by a great new band. This is their first public appearence and what you may not know is that the lead singer is Bill Kaulitz, whom you all know from Starsearch!"

I heard some applause and cheering.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to Devilish!"

We walked out on stage, smiling.

I was so nervous; there were at least 500 people there.

I picked up the microphone and looked behind me to see if everyone else was ready. Tom looked so handsome with his guitar...

He smiled at me. I smiled back and nodded.

We were ready.

I faced the crowd and cleared my throat.

"This is a song that I wrote called 'Durch Den Monsun' and I hope you like it."

Tom started playing the first few chords. I took a deep breath and sang the first line. So far so good...

Eventually it was over.

The applause was deafening, and i felt as if a giant weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

I smiled at the rest of the band. Actually, I started laughing, I was just so relieved that we had done ok. I'll never fogot the sound of people cheering for me. For a song I wrote. And I knew that this is where I belonged.

Not a solo artist with some shitty pop music like I did on Starsearch.

This was so much more real.