I Know All You Needed Was Me

'till death do us part

"Will you come down, please?" He said with arms outstretched, waiting to catch, to save. She looked at him over her shoulder, just a glance before sighing.

"Please?" He whispered his plead once again.

The lights were beautiful, so small so fragile. She reached her hand down, trying to grab the lights, but every time she did, they would slip away.

"How come the lights won't let me get them? I want to hold them," she said clutching her hands in defeat.

One step, two step. One foot ahead of the other. He counted her steps down, making sure she was out of the sill and safe on the ground. He wrapped his arms around her, sighing in relief; the big stone of dread falling from his chest.

"I want to see the lights again, Pete," she whispered against his chest. "Like the ones we saw that time you took me to see the sunset over Danube. Remember Danube?" She looked up at him, her eyes so sad and washed with tears rolling down her cheek. The boy, Pete, moved his thumbs over her face, wiping the tears away.

"I remember the Danube. I remember the sunset…"

"Promise me we'll see the sunset over Danube again."

He sighed. He wanted to promise, but what's the point of promising something when you know that you won't be able to make it true? Was he going to lie? Not like she'll ever notice. Or be alive long enough, or be healthy enough to make the trip to Vienna just to see the lights reflecting on a still water.

"I promise to take you one way or another." He closed his eyes.

He imagined her with a smile on her face, just a genuine one after a long time. He imagined her hair to be its natural color, as oppose to the greasy straws of something that was mistaken for it; her cheeks flushed and her lips soft and beautiful. He imagined her running all over the place, soft green grass under her bare feet.

He imagined her happy.

As the ashes flew through the wind, loosing itself over the mighty river, he smiled. Tears ran down his face, but he smiled.

Forever was nothing of an obstacle if you are willing to make it forever.

For better for worse.

In sickness and in health.

"'till death do us part."