Status: Complete.

Take Me There

Two

Time was excessive when sitting in a small wooden desk, staring at the teacher who wore a toupee that matched his Hitler mustache as he wrote on the bored about the presidents of the past. My eyes instead focused on the clock and when exactly it was going to tick. One more second.

Nick had picked Cass up this morning, like he had said, and he even offered me another ride. I instead took the bus with Sam. The only problem was that Sam didn’t want to talk to me. Sam had been my best friend since 6th grade, and before then it had been Tony Hopkins, but he was long gone. I always thought he had cooties anyway. Sam and I were so very different, I didn’t understand why we were friends. She was always jealous when I spent time with Cass, my sister.

Sam had blond hair, like Cass, but she had gray eyes. Sam was tall and was the head girl on the Hornets ladies basketball team. She also had a temper like a bull. I guess we weren’t on speaking terms today, for whatever it was I did.

The bell rang loudly, echoing through the halls. I jumped at the sudden noises, the clattering of books being closed and bags being zipped up. Mr. Reynolds through the marker down and cracked his knuckles, waving us all off. Monday’s were always my weak spot.

Slowly standing, I let out my thousandth sigh and grabbed my notebook, holding it underneath my arm. I spotted Sam bounding down the hallway through the door and I pushed past the kids, jogging over to her.

“Sam,” I breathed, but she kept walking. “Sam, wait!”

It wasn’t often Sam listened to me but now she actually stopped. She swung around, her gym bag in hands, and waited. I smiled. No return.

“What?” she breathed, tightening her ponytail. I sighed.

“You haven’t talked to me all day. What’s up?”

“Nothing; just busy.” Then she turned away and left.

Everyone seemed to be too busy for me. I was used to it.

I let out another sigh and turned around, mumbling an apology to some sophomore kid I hit. He just glared. Turning down the hall, I grabbed my padlock and quickly spun the numbers, pulling hard on the object. My locker came open and papers were ready to fall like an avalanche. I grabbed my bag quickly and shut it with a sigh, shoving my binder in, replacing it with my phone. My eyes scanned the screen; no new messages.

Cass was a senior and she only had half days, but since Nick took her to school, she said she’d stay and wait for me in the courtyard. Nick would take us home and then we’d be off on our drive to her college. I’d pretty much have nothing to do besides watch Cass gush over every object and every room at that place.

I strolled down the hall and pushed past the doors, entering the courtyard. I wasn’t much of an outdoor person, but the courtyard was always so pretty. Lively, too. It was like, whenever anyone sat down on the stone benches, or stood by the blooming flowers, things just got a little brighter. And there Cass sat Nick’s arms around her, her head in his lap. They always looked so picture perfect, so happy and alive--just like the blooming roses next to them. Nick and Cass, despite the grade difference, had always been considered an item and no girl or guy approached either of them with a wish for something other than friendship. Every yearbook had a picture of the two together, smiling and hugging, right underneath the words Cutest Couple. People thought they would go far together. I was one of them. I just wanted Cass to be happy. Nick wasn’t so bad either though. I hated him, but he was a great guy.

“No,” Cass giggled, smiling her perfect smile. Nick grinned back, stroking her blond hair away from her face so lovingly. Nick looked up then, his chocolate eyes catching my own hunter green ones. Sometimes my eyes were a light green with gray, sometimes they held blue, but they weren’t like Cass’. Nothing was like her.

“Hey Julissa,” Nick smiled, his voice kind, happy. I did my best to return it, but it still seemed flat.

Cass looked up immediately, her smile changing into a frown when she saw my expression. I didn’t know what the difference was. I wasn’t exactly the most cheerful person. Sam always said I was morbid. I wasn’t morbid.

“Jules, what’s wrong?” she asked quickly, her big sister mode kicking in. I smiled a little more and gave her a one-shoulder shrug, readjusting the strap on my shoulder.

“Sam.” She knew we fought a lot. She also knew that it was hardly ever my fault. Cass was never biased, though. She’d tell me right from wrong--just like mom should. “She’s just mad at me again.”

“She’ll get over… whatever it is,” Cass grunted, smiling at Nick as he helped her up. They stayed close, their fingers laced, and I sighed. Sometimes I wished Cass would tone it down. Nick made all the gestures to get close to her and she accepted them naturally, but it didn’t seem right to me. Nick and Cass were best friends and when we moved next door, I was only five years old, making Cass nine. She played with Nick all the time, even though Joe was closer to her age, and I found myself alone. This, of course, was before mom and dad got divorced. I always felt like it was my fault. Cass said it wasn’t.

And when Nick turned thirteen, I noticed the way he looked at Cass. It was… different and I didn’t understand it. Not at ten. That’s when I realized he liked her. He liked how perfect Cass was. He liked her long blond hair and her ice-blue eyes. He liked her unruly obsession with tea and he even liked how she had to have The Beauty and the Beast stamps up front. Nick always struck me as having a perforation of brunettes, though. Maybe, deep down, that was one reason why I never wanted blond hair like Cass. I was pathetic.

“Come on Nick,” Cass smiled, kissing his cheek, and they walked forward. Nick gave me a sympathetic smile, his eyes soft when they connected with mine, and I looked away. I just wasn’t the best with friends… or family, or anything for that matter.

[T I M E]

Cass always made car rides fun, even when they were long and boring. The road seemed to stretch on forever, the freeway holding lots of traffic, and the open fields around looked on for hours. Cass turned the radio on and immediately started singing. That was the only thing Cass wasn’t good at, but she knew it, and she still did it just to make me laugh.

“Come one Jules!” she encouraged, glancing over from the road for only a second. I rolled my eyes. “Jules, you’re the only one with musical ability in our family!”

I guess that was true. Dad knew how to play the guitar, but only a few chords, and mom couldn’t stand music since dad was so obsessed. I liked singing, but it wasn’t something I did often. Just when I was bored. It was fun when I was younger at took car rides with Cass to the amusement park. But now it seemed kind of pointless. Her smile was kind of convincing though.

“Come on Jules!” she giggled, punching my arm gently. I cracked a smile and began to sing along.

Cass turned up the radio as Jason Mraz began to play and I laughed, shaking my head in disbelief. Her celebrity crush had always been Jason Mraz and she knew all of his songs. She always tried to pretend like she wasn’t smiling whenever he came on, and Nick would get just a tad jealous. I thought it was funny. It was also sort of cute.

Cass turned off the freeway and down a main road, a large sign coming into view. The campus was near and, looking around, I could tell that it was a passing time. There we so many older looking kids; some sitting under large shade trees, eating a late lunch, and some were carrying books around, talking to others as they walked across to get to a large building. Joe said this college wasn’t exactly normal. It was probably why he had checked it out in the first place.

“Wow. This is so cool!” Cass breathed, turning the steering wheel as she glanced around, parking on the side. “Isn’t this awesome?” she grinned. I could see the pure excitement in her eyes and I made myself smile again. I didn’t want Cass to go away, but I couldn’t be a baby about it. I was fifteen. I needed to be strong.

I knew that when Cass left, leaving me alone with mom, things were going to be different. I’d be home by myself half the time, mom working her usual shifts. Dad would come over less often since he wouldn’t have to help decide on colleges anymore. I guess I really should start talking to Nick. He’d still be living across the street; he’d still be at my school. How would that work between them?

I knew they had to have talked about a long distance relationship. Cass would come for Holidays, but it wouldn’t be the same. If I knew it, so did they. I knew Nick was completely committed, but would Cass be too busy for him? Maybe I was more worried about her being too busy for me. Nick was… Nick. He didn’t have to worry.

Cass cut the ignition and opened the door, stepping out into the bright afternoon sunlight. The spring air was warm, reminding me of summer approaching fast, and I took it in before stepping out myself. The smell of pizza drifted from the left and I glanced over, my eyes focusing on a girl carrying a slice while balancing a large text book and a bag. College life definitely wasn’t going to be easy, if I ever got there.

“Isn’t this awesome?” she repeated.

I nodded.

***

Everything was big and organized. When we first entered the main hall, Cass received a lot of attention, even in such a big place. I knew that, wherever she went, she’d always be special. Some beefy guy held the door open for her and smiled, but practically let it shut on me. I wanted to punch him in his stupid face, but I’d probably break my hand. I ignored it instead.

An older woman with a long ponytail and khaki shorts gave us an over welcoming smile and hurried over, quickly scribbling down Cass’s name. I chose to ignore their conversation and look around. It didn’t look like a fun place to be. No big screen TV’s or soft couches. There were shelves of books and boxes of papers, a few scattered on a bulletin board, the writing varying on each page. There was a large window in the back and I saw a hallway, probably leading to some filing room or something.

Cass grabbed my arm but kept chatting excitedly with the woman as we exited the building, moving back out into the sunshine. I could hear voices buzzing around as tall girls with tans bounced, their books in hand, and it looked as if their classes were over. My eyes scanned the crowds and lots, different cars parked; a few filed out and turned down the swerving road that led up to the entrance, but Cass kept us going.

“Oh,” she sighed, taking a look around with squinted eyes. “This is going to be amazing. I can’t wait until I graduate.

“Well, we can’t wait to have you Cassandra,” the woman smiled, leaving us with a wave. She didn’t bother to correct the woman, not yet anyway.

We stood there for a moment, just glancing around, trying not to stand in the middle of the pathway, but that was nearly impossible. Cass mumbled something about getting back to the car and I thanked god silently, pulling out my phone to check the time. It was nearly 5 pm. Shoving it back in my pocket; I followed Cass forward, stopping when I heard a grunt and a crash of items to the concrete. I glanced up and found Cass standing with wide, apologetic eyes, and a tall man grumbling, his eyes on the floor where all his art supplies had fallen.

“Damn it,” he hissed, tugging at his spiked bronze hair. His hard eyes looked bloodshot when he glanced up, his eyes locking on Cass. He had thin lips and a small nose, freckles plastered against his cheeks. His eyes were hazel, but they looked hazy, noticeably bloodshot when I took a closer look. “Are you a newbie? Coming in next year?”

“I am so, so sorry…” she mumbled immediately, biting her lip. Cass was never clumsy, but she was used to people staying out of her way. She just wasn’t paying attention.

“Hey…” he started slowly, his eyes trailing over her yet again, this time curious.

He slowly bent down and started picking up his art pencils and brushes and a tablet. Cass immediately tried to help, leaving me to stand there awkwardly.

“Umm, yeah. I’m so sorry…”

“Zack,” he mumbled, giving her a quick crooked smile. I watched curiously, trying not to be nosy.

“Zack,” she smiled, slowly handing him his tablet before standing. He followed, smoothing out his wrinkled black shirt, wiping his hands on his baggy jeans. “I’m Cass.” She held out her hand and he shook it, cocking his head.

“So how'd ya hear about this place? It isn’t exactly on the map.”

“My friend’s brother,” she smiled. I didn’t know how to explain it exactly, but she seemed to quiver at the word friend, dropping the rightful boy before it. Maybe she just didn’t want to air her business to some creep.

“Oh, that’s awesome. What’re you going for? I’m majoring in art, as you can see…” he chuckled, his voice low. She laughed lightly and nodded, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

“Accounting.”

“Oh, really? Wow. I was never good with numbers. Surprised I even got in any kind of college with my report cards,” he chuckled, smiling when she did. I sighed heavily and shifted my weight, crossing my arms over my chest. His eyes locked mine.

“This is my sister, Julissa,” she finally introduced, motioning to me politely. He didn’t smile and neither did I. I was never good with introductions.

“It’s nice to meet you.” He was referring more to Cass, his eyes diverting back to hers. “Hey, listen. Why don’t we exchange numbers and we can meet up some time? Talk about a way to start off your fresh college life,” he shrugged, pulling his phone out before he could answer.

“Yeah, thanks. It’d be great to know someone beforehand.” She pulled out her own phone and they quickly exchanged numbers, mumbling things I didn’t bother to listen to. I just stood there and rubbed my neck, breathing in deeply. She seemed to get the hint. “I need to get going… long drive. But I’ll talk to you soon Zack,” she grinned, giving him a soft wave. He smiled back, slowly turning in his original direction, his eyes holding her for a moment too long. I furrowed my eyebrows.

“What?” she mumbled, catching my attention.

“You just met the guy and you gave him your number?”

She shrugged thoughtfully, pulling her keys out as we walked. “When I was fifteen, I gave Nick my number.”

“That’s different Cass. He didn’t ask you for it and he wasn’t a complete stranger,” I pointed out, laughing at the memory of a blushing Nick receiving Cass’s number. It was priceless.

“But Nick’s shy,” she smiled, pulling out her phone, quickly sending a text. It was most likely him. “Now come on. Let’s get home before mom does.”

[T I M E]

Sometimes you don’t realize hoe time passes until it does, and then you think about what you’re missing. Right now I lay on the couch, my feet up in the air, and my eyes on the ceiling. I didn’t’ get my homework finished and I didn’t have time to call and ask Sam what the deal was. I did, however, have time to stare up at the ceiling and picture little shapes in the bumps, smiling when I spotted one that looked like a giraffe. Everything took time. Even the macaroni and cheese I had on the stove. Mom wasn’t home yet. It was Monday though; she probably stopped to get her cigarettes.

A knock on the door sounded suddenly, but I didn’t bother getting up. Instead, I strained my voice to yell ‘come in.’ keeping the doors unlocked was a terrible habit, but mom always forgot her key and Cass was one of those girls who never saw the bad in people. And mom called me the naïve one.

It squeaked open and the dimming sunlight came in, making me squint my eyes to see who it was, although I had a pretty good idea. Nick slowly stepped in with a purple backpack in his hands, and he offered me a shy smile. It wasn’t creepy. I knew that smile.

“Hey Nick,” I sighed, turning my gaze back up to the ceiling. I lost my giraffe but found a heart instead. “Cass is in the shower.”

“Oh. Okay. I just wanted to drop off her bag. She left it in my car,” he said softly, setting it on the floor. I could tell he was staring at me and I blushed, locking my eyes on his curious face. “What are you doing?” he chuckled.

“Shape searching,” I shrugged, cracking my knuckles before laying my hands on my stomach, keeping my shirt from slipping down. He raised his eyebrows.

“Isn’t that supposed to be with clouds?”

“Not when you have bumpy ceilings.” Nick’s house had smooth walls. I liked smooth walls.

“Oh,” he muttered, looking around. There was a moment of silence before I even acknowledged him still standing there, his face showing thought.

“Do you need something? I think Cass wanted to give you your CD back. It’s probably in the kitchen.”

“No, that’s okay. I was just- never mind. I’ll see you tomorrow Jules.”

There was something about Nick that I never understood. He didn’t speak his mind, but instead filtered his thoughts. He always smiled when you looked at him, but it was soft and pleasant, giving you a warm and fuzzy feeling. Nick and I weren’t friends. We were good acquaintances. But he sometimes called my Jules, just like almost everyone else. He and my mother were the only two who still called me Julissa on a daily basis. It wasn’t often he used my nickname.

“Hey Nick,” I called out, not hearing the door click. He was waiting. I struggled to sit up but managed, wiping the hair out of my face to see him. “How come you didn’t go with Cass to see her college?”

I expected him to say something like; I couldn’t bear to see where she’d be going,’ or even ‘I love her too much and if I found something I didn’t like, I wouldn’t want to complain.’ Nick and Cass were just that way. They seemed to be so drastic in their words or actions, leading to so many of the fights they had, but they always worked it out with a smile that brought them closer. I wouldn’t be surprised if one killed for the other, just Like Romeo and Juliet. They were that dramatic. Mostly just Cass.

“I had to take Frankie to his summer camp. He wanted to get an early look,” he answered softly, swirling his tongue around the inside of his cheek. I nodded. I’d miss Frankie this summer now. First Kevin, then Joe, and now Frankie? Who else would I hang out with while Cass was gone? Time just seemed so stupid. “Anyway, I gotta’ go. See ya.” He gave me a small wave and shut the door behind him, leaving me in a bigger darkness. I could hear him bound down the steps and I peeked through the window from my spot, watching him jog across the street, his curls swaying in the wind.

And then I remembered: the stove.

“Shoot,” I muttered, jumping up from my spot. I slid into the kitchen and let out a groan, the water bubbling over the side of the pot and onto the stove in bubbles. Stupid Nick and his stupid distractions.

I sighed heavily and grabbed a hand towel, quickly shutting off the stove and pushing the hot pot onto the back burner, trying to sop up the mess. I heard feet bounding down the steps and Cass giggles behind me, padding to my side with a towel of her own.

“Good goin’ Martha Stewart,” she joked, running her fingers through her wet hair. It was still straight.

“Shut up. With as much time as you spend in that shower, I’d think you were sponge bob.” She only grinned and rolled her eyes, smacking me with the towel. “Nick dropped off your bag.”

She smiled even wider. “I need to call him later. Hey, I was thinking that I could pick you up after school tomorrow. We can go to the park or something.”

“Okay,” I smiled. That was the good thing about Cass. She was always so active.

“And maybe we can stop by the post office. They have those Judy Garland stamps again and I want some.”

And she was just so weird. I just didn’t know how she’d ever change.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this turned out pretty much how I wanted it too. So now the story will start to pick up, but it'll be gradually of course. I want to hear some predictions since I never really gave the plot of this story.(:

I have like 68 subscribers, which I'm psyched for. I'm really going to like writing this. But I'd like to hear what you think of it so far, so please comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to read this new story and I hope it does okay.