Status: We're still working on it.

I Hold On

Words of Comfort

I was trying to start conversation with the kid as he wouldn’t talk to me at all. I asked what happened to his dad, which upset him. Great Van, just spiffing. What if I get fired if I don’t somehow befriend him? The queue in Starbucks wasn’t that long, but I bet the silence between us will be. I sighed and took money out of my pocket.

“So, what music are you into Vander?” Lyric asked me, eyeing up my Hollister jacket.
“All sorts” I replied in a bored tone.
“Like?”
“Rave, Indie, Rock, Metal, Rap, you name it” I began to count my money. This kid was really getting on my nerves.
“I bet that annoys your girlfriend” he said, looking around carelessly.
“I don’t have a girlfriend” I gritted my teeth as the line moves up.
“Lonely, are we Vander?” Lyric giggled.
“Look, just be quiet” I spat.

The awkward silence resumed yet again, I ordered and waited at the little round table for my Latte to be served, Lyric beside me.

Once our drinks were served we made our way out into the busy streets again. I grunted, looking up the sky was growing grey and it began to rain. I was about to put my hood up when I noticed Lyric shivering, seeing he only had a t-shirt on.
“Here,” I sighed, taking off my jacket with one hand and giving it to Lyric.
“No, it’s okay” he glanced at it, but I thrust it at him before turning the corner towards Forbidden Planet.
“Can we go a different way?” Lyric asked.
“Why? It’s quick--”

“Lyric you fag!”
“Is that your new boyfriend?”
“Going for the older ones?”
“Tell me, are you the pitcher or the receiver?” was all I heard as a few boys went past on skateboards. This is what Debbie was taking about. I looked down at Lyric, his face was red and his eyes were brimming with tears.

I clamp my hand on his shoulder, as I’m not that good with comforting people.
“Don’t listen to them, they’re just gay ass…” I trailed off, realising what I had said, “I mean…don’t listen to them.”
Lyric was now visibly crying. My eyes widened in panic, oh no, don’t start this on me, please. I draped an arm around his shoulders and pulled him slightly against me.

“Come on, lets get out of the rain. I’m freezing” I chuckled, trying to lighten up the mood. It didn’t.
Now I have to go back and start the kids on a topic I don’t even know I’m doing. Great.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wanna say thank you to the 2 subs!

What's Vander gunna do?