As You're Falling Down

Chapter Nine

I started to smile as I grasped the object in my pocket with my hand. From the first touch it felt smooth and small, and when I pulled it out it was just a folded piece of paper. I took my time unfolding it, hoping to find a letter from Jayden, but guess what I saw?

Oh, it was the shortest letter I've recieved in my life.

Considering it wasn't a letter.

Just a blank piece of paper.

I can't believe I thought Jayden would give me something, through a fountain nonetheless! The anger inside of me boiled and bubbled, I was so mad at myself for believing in such a wish. The anger in me took over and I crumpled up the blank piece of paper and through it in the fountain, and I stood up and watched it sink.When it reached the bottom of the fountain, and when I felt satisfied, I turned around and walked on the stone pathway towards the main entrance.

As I reached the entrance I saw the same gaurd come through the west doors and walk in my direction. I stopped, knowing he was after me, and waited. He approached and bowed, which was becoming normal to me, and held out his hand. I placed my hand in his and he led me to Kevin's quarters, but I didn't expect what was about to happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'A long shot, don't even take this bet,' I thought.

Kevin had just explained that in order for me to become Queen Jasmine I have to kill my mother, my father, or...my soul mate. Considering my mother and father are gone, the deal was narrowed down to killing my soul mate.

"Who is my soul mate," I asked Kevin.

"Darling, in your heart, you already know who that is," Kevin answered.

"Jayden...," I whispered to myself.

Kevin nodded and continued to stare at me, waiting for my reaction. I started to smile, which pleased Kevin, but not for the same reason I was smiling.

See, he thought I was smiling because I would get to kill Jayden, but that's obviously not the case here. I smiled because I would get to see him again, and that I would be able to get out of this prison. I stuffed my hand into my pocket again and felt the same smooth and small object from before, I grasped it in my hand and exclaimed, "Give me time to think it over, okay?"

He simply nodded again and went back to work, not breathing a word about me being out of my room. I took that as a chance to freedom and silently walked back to my room. And as I walked up the steps to my room I thought about Jayden and the paper I grasped in my pocket. Soon I reached my door and softly pulled it open, and then I silently glided to my bed while pulling out the paper from my pocket.

Naturally, I unfolded it and set it on my bed. For awhile I just stared and waited for something to happen, but nothing did. I finally grew tired of waiting and decided to draw a picture on it, I mean, what's the use of a blank piece of paper if I can't write or draw on it? So that's exactly what I began to do, draw.

At first I didn't know what to draw, so I let my hand move freely across the paper, willing myself to draw something beautiful. By the time I was fiinished I saw a picture of a teenage boy and teenage girl, wrapped together in each other's embrace and under them was lettering that read, "You're the strength I need to fight, You're the reason I still try." I soon realized that I had drawn Jayden and I, and that the words underneath couldn't be more perfect. I smiled and lifted myself off of my bed with the picture and plastered it onto my wall.

It looked amazing on my wall, surrounded by other pictures from my childhood.

'The happy ones,' I thought.

I gazed back at the picture I finished just a few minutes ago, to see it disappearing right before my eyes. I ran to it and tried to make it stop, but it kept disappearing until the page was completely blank again. I fell to the floor and stared at the paper once more, and then I felt something wet on my hand. I looked down and saw a small tear rest there, and more fall down with it.

Through my tear shedding eyes I peered back up at the blank paper again to see it with writing on the top. I picked myself up to get eye level, but I couldn't read what was written with the tears building up on the rims of my eyes. I wiped them away and read the paper, it said, "Beautiful picture, Jasmine.You were always an excellent artist."

I screamed and jumped back, I was scared for my life. The writing soon disappeared and a new line replaced the blank stationary. I slowly walked over and read the paper, it said, "Please write back?" Then it disappeared and nothing was written after. I finally took the paper off of my wall and brought it to my bed, and laid down with it. I reached out on my silky comforter and grabbed the same pencil I used to draw the picture with, and pressed it to the paper.

I didn't write anything at first, just let my pencil sit in the same spot. Finally I wrote, "Who are you and how did you know how to get this to me?"

It disappeared in seconds and was replaced with, "I know where you are because I was there with you... It's me, Jayden."

The statement put me into shock, and I couldn't believe it. It couldn't be Jayden. If it was Jayden, then he would have no business in talking to me. I'm over it, I'm over him.

'Lies...,' I thought.

I shook the thought out of my head as the writing disappeared from the paper. As I came to my senses I wrote, "Prove it."

After my writing disappeared and another line of writing appeared, I read, "Your parents died."

I gave the paper a hard glare, knowing it wasn't recieved and wrote, "Anyone can know that, give me something else."

My writing disappeared and it took a few minutes for a reply, but the paper read, "I paid for your spring water after you beat up a drunk guy in Speedway."

A smile appeared on my face and I started to giggle, I remember that day like it was yesterday... But it wasn't, it was the past I needed to forget so I wrote, "Okay, so you're that Jayden. What do you want?"

I intended to make it sound harsh, and it did. It disappeared and only a single word was written, it was, "You."

I gave the paper a glare and wrote, "Which one?"

Quicker than expected, the paper read, "Both."

"You can't have both, and I can't be both. It's been 4 months, 1 week, and 18 hours Jayden... I don't love you anymore," was what I wrote as a tear fell onto the paper. I was hoping Jayden hadn't seen it, but he did as it disappeared along with my writing.

"It's been 4 months, 1 week, and 20 hours... You're off," Jayden wrote.

"Like you would know, you didn't even love me in the first place. I was just an easy way to get to Kevin so you could kill him. You're on the bad side," I wrote.

"You don't believe that, I know you don't. Otherwise, you wouldn't be crying," I read.

"I'm not crying," I wrote back. Then I noticed how many tears were falling and hitting the paper so I wrote, "What's your point if I am?"

"I don't want you to ever cry because of me, Jayne," Jayden had wrote.

"You called me Jayne...," I wrote back. It felt good to be called by Jayne again, I truly hated being called Jasmine all the time.

"I know... Sorry, Jasmine," he wrote.

I hesitated but wrote, "No, call me Jayne, okay?"

"Okay," was the only thing he wrote back with.

"I shouldn't be having any contact with you," I softly wrote.

"I know," Jayden had wrote.

I soon wrote, "So why are you even going to all this trouble to talk to me if you just want my grand-father dead?"

Jayden wrote, "Did I say that's why I'm talking to you, or that's why I'm going to all this trouble?"

'He's getting mad at me,' I thought.

After I thought that, the paper appeared with more writing that stated, "I'm not mad at you Jayne, okay?"

I quickly wrote down, "How did you know what I was thinking?"

And that's when I heard a sound behind me.