Espionage

Chapter Eleven

"C'est belle. (This is beautiful.)" I told the tailor as he finished with my dress. He had already done the tuxedos and was putting the final touches on my dress. It was a gorgeous garment. It was white and flowy as it fell to the ground. It gave my waist the perfect shape as it pulled to the back in a medium sized bow. The back had a deep 'V' shape. The bottom was perfect for hiding the bombs on my leg. It was a shame that a dress this beautiful was going to be blown to pieces.

We were getting ready here, seeing as the tailor didn't have a problem with it. Since finding out I was a Landa, von Hammersmark thought it was crucial for me to change my hair color in fear of seeing my father. My once golden locks were now a dark black, making my pale skin even paler and my green eyes shine. After my hair and make-up was complete, I slipped my shoes on and grabbed my clutch and put a small pistol inside. I stared at myself in the mirror for the last time, thinking about my life. Was I happy with the way it turned out? Not completely. Am I happy that I got to be with the Basterds? Absolutely. I heard footsteps coming my way, so I turned around.

"Wow." Donny breathed, taking in my appearance. I did the same to him. His suit fit him perfectly, the black on white complimenting his figure. White gloves were held in his left hand as he put our tickets in the breast pocket inside of his blazer. I looked up to his face. His skin was freshly shaved and his hair was combed perfectly up and to the side. His chocolate eyes were gentle as he stared into me. "You look gorgeous." I could feel a slight blush rise up my neck and to my cheeks. I gave a nervous chuckle.

"Gratzie. (Thank you.)"

"Well, let's get you strapped." He said. His tone wasn't one of excitement like any other mission. Who would be excited to go to their death? I know I'm not, but what else do I have to live for?

I nodded my head as he led me to a chair in one of the changing rooms. I sat down as he shut the door. He went over to one of the corners and picked up something from a bag, the explosives. He pulled a chair in front of me and sat down. He patted his leg, indicating that he wanted me to rest my leg on his so he could strap the bombs on. He pushed the hem of my dress up a bit and gave me a lopsided grin. When he wasn't an asshole, he was quite adorable, like a teddy bear. He is The Bear Jew, so I think that may have something to do with it. I felt tears start sliding down my face as he finished strapping it on. I gave him a sad smile in return. I wiped them off of my face before he brought his gaze back up to me. My hard demeanor was going soft and I didn't like it. I was losing my mind.

Donny lightly set my leg back on the ground and stood up. He extended his hand to assist me in getting up as well. We stood in front of each other, my hand still in his. He saw the tears in my eyes and I could see that he was beginning to panic.

"Reality is zetting in." I muttered as another tear fell. I looked to the ground, ashamed of letting myself fall apart. His large hand cupped my cheek and brought my face back up.

"You were practically beaten to death, shot and jumped by countless Nazis, and you're crying now?" He asked, humored. I gave an airy chuckle.

"Zilly, I know, but I didn't feel death during zose times. It just zeems zo final now vith a bomb attached to my leg. I hate zinking about zie inevitable." I stared at him. "You're too good for this, Donny."

"What?" He was confused.

"Vhy vould you put yourzelf in zis zituation? Vhy vould you give yourzelf a death vish?" I brought my hand up to his face and cupped it, my thumb rubbed his smooth cheek.

"I could say the same for you. A beautiful girl, stuck in this, when you could've had a husband, a family, a life." Our tones were almost silent as we spoke. I gave a humorless chuckle.

"It is too late for me to have zat. I vas never meant to have zat. I accept it. Let's just hope zat zis vill vork." I put a more confident smile on my face as I stroked his face one last time. "Let's go."

I knew right then and there that we had forgiven each other for every asshole thing we did to one another.

***

We managed to get inside the building without any trouble, though many questions were asked to von Hammersmark about the cast on her leg. Mountain climbing, yeah right.

I clutched onto Donny like a life support, but kept my composure. My heart was pounding in my chest as we passed people who I had met through my father and I prayed that they wouldn't recognize me. It would be hard to see who I was, though, since I never wore make-up and I now had black hair. I was a completely new person.

The lobby was crowded as we slowly made our way through the sea of people, trying not to be noticed. We made a circle in a less crowded area, and talked in hushed tones.

"Fräulein von Hammersmark. (Miss von Hammersmark.)" The one voice that I didn't want to hear ever again called out. My grip on Donny's arm tightened as the man in the grey suit advanced towards us. She turned around to come face to face with my father.

"Oberst Landa, ist es Jahre gewesen. Stürzen als überhaupt sehe ich. (Colonel Landa, it has been years. Dashing as ever I see.)" They greeted each other with a kiss on each cheek.

"So ist was Ihrem reizenden Bein geschehen? Eine Nebenerscheinung des Tretens des Esels im deutschen Kino, kein Zweifel. (So, what has happened to your lovely leg? A by-product of kicking ass in the German cinema, no doubt.)" God, my father could be so corney at times...well, most of the time.

"Außer Ihrer Schmeichelei Sie alter Hund. Ich weiß zu viele Ihrer ehemaligen Eroberungen, um in diesen Honigtopf zu fallen. (Save your flattery, you old dog. I know too many of your former conquests to fall into that honey pot.)"

"Ernsthaft geschah was? (Seriously, what happened?)" She told him the tall tale of how she went, foolishly, mountain climbing. To which, my father started cackling like a rabid hyena. He was so embarrassing. He continued this for a good thirty seconds before composing himself. We all stared at him as he returned. He apologized for laughing at her 'accident'. He started asking her questions, and I could tell that she was getting uncomfortable, and like Dieter, he told her he was joking. I think we all know by now that when a Nazi says that they're joking, they really know something is up.

"So sind wer Ihre Eskorten und schöner Gast? (So, who are your escorts and beautiful guest?)" He looked from Bridget to us, letting is eyes linger on mine for a second longer.

"Ich habe Angst, dass keine von ihnen ein Wort vom Deutschen sprechen. Sie sind liebe Freunde von mir aus Italien. Dieses ist der wundervolle italienische Stuntman, Enzo Gorlomi. Ein sehr begabter Kameramann, Antonio Margheriti. Antonios Datum, der schöne italienische Schauspielerin Marietta Bianchi. Und Antonios Kamera behilfliches Dominick Decocco. (I am afraid that none of them speak a word of German. They are dear friends of mine from Italy. This is the wonderful Italian stuntman, Enzo Gorlomi. A very talented cameraman, Antonio Margheriti. Antonios date, the beautiful Italian actress Marietta Bianchi. And Antonios camera assistant Dominick Decocco.) We all gave slight bows to my father.

"I signori e Marietta, questo è un vecchio amico, colonnello Hans Landa degli ss. (Gentlemen and Marietta, this is an old friend, Colonel Hans Landa of the SS.)" Even though I knew what they were saying in German, I listened as if I didn't, along with the rest of the guys, as she introduced my father in italian.

"Bonjorno." Aldo opened his mouth. His accent made me want to punch him square in the jaw. My father knew we were faking. I didn't know if he knew who I was or not, but he knew we were frauds.

"Signori, è un piacere. Gli amici della nostra stella sherished, ammirati da tutti noi, questo gioiello autentico della nostra coltura stanno andando naturalmente essere nell'ambito della mia protezione personale per la durata del loro soggiorno. (Gentlemen, it is a pleasure. The friends of our cherished star, admired by all of us, this outright jewel of our culture are naturally going to be under my personal protection for the duration of their stay.)" I furrowed my eyebrows. He did it to intimidate the guys, but I spoke up.

"Scusilo? Non capisco questi gioielli di cui parliate. (Excuse me? I do not understand these jewels of which you speak.)" I asked just as fast as he spoke. He had a look on his face that was a second thought.

"Nessun preoccupazioni. (No worries.)" He smiled at me and looked at Aldo. "Gorlomi?"

"Si...er-correcto." He was just as bad, even worse, than Archie when it came to a foreign culture. He went down the line, making us say our names at least three times each. I had to say, Donny's repetitions were the greatest to hear and his facial expressions were hilarious. I was also impressed with Omar. For having the least amount of italian knowledge, he had the best accent out of the three. It was ironic.

"Gut müssen meine Gäste ihre Sitze finden. (Well, my guests need to find their seats.)" Bridget spoke up before he could ask anymore questions.

"Lascilo vedere i vostri biglietti. (Let me see your tickets.)" Donny handed my father ours and Omar his. "Ich nehme an, dass Sie erste Karten für Ihre Freunde erhalten nicht die schwierigste Sache für einen Stern Ihres Status sein würden. (I suppose you getting premier tickets for your friends would not be the most difficult thing for a star of your status.)"

"Zero zero ventidue, zero zero ventitre, zero zero venti quattro. Non dovrebbero essere troppo difficili da trovare. Arrivederci. (0022, 0023 and 0024. They should not be too difficult to find. Goodbye.) Omar, Donny and I said goodbye to my father as we rushed passed him, leaving Aldo and Bridget with my father.

As we walked through the lobby, I spotted one person. Although the premier was partially for him, I didn't expect to see him. Officials were calling everyone to enter the theatre so that they could be seated.

I tiptoed up to Donny's ear and whispered that I would be waiting in my spot. I left him to disappear in the crowd and backtracked to where we were previously to see my father, Bridget and Aldo gone. I dismissed it and made my way casually up the staircase. I went into an opening where a large washroom was and situated myself in one of the stalls, waiting. It seemed as though an hour passed until I heard footsteps. It wasn't Donny and Omar, otherwise there would have been two pairs of them. I quickly flushed the toilet and opened the stall. I walked to the sink, set my clutch down and washed my hands. I looked up at the mirror to see a man pass me. Seeing as this was a unisex washroom, it wasn't unusual, but his face made me want to drop dead.

I dried my hands with haste and hightailed it out of there, that is, until he stopped me.

"Entschuldigen Sie mich? Fräulein? Sie ließen Ihren Geldbeutel. (Excuse me? Miss? You left your purse.)" I heard his footsteps run after me. He caught up behind me and placed a hand on my shoulder to stop me. My breathing was labored as he slowly spun me around. I stared into the sea blue eyes that I had left behind almost a year ago. As he stared back, he knew who I was. No amount of make-up or hair dye could disguise me from him.

"Lorelei?" I closed my eyes and nodded my head. I've only described Fredrick as a pest, but he gave me the companionship that I longed for. I missed him, to say the least. I felt his fingers under my chin, lifting it up. "Was tun Sie hier? (What are you doing here?)" I shook my head. I couldn't tell him. Those explosives around my leg just got fifty pounds heavier.

He suddenly grabbed my hand and ran to a set of stairs. I tried keeping up with him, not knowing where he was taking me. The stairs led to a solitary door. He opened it up to show the booth of the theatre where the projectors were rolling. I looked around the dark room wearily as he shut the door. I turned around as he came up behind me and we both clashed our lips together. My hands worked their way up to his neatly combed hair, running through it. Our bodies were flush up against each other, leaving no extra room. His hands ran up and down my back, then gripped my hips.

We unsuctioned our faces from each other to take a breath. The gunshots from the film were playing in the background, filling the silence that had taken over us. As much as I wanted him, and that I wanted to stay with him, I had a job to do. I placed my palm against his face.

"Ich liebe Sie bis das Ende der Zeit, Lorelei. Bitte. (I will love you until the end of time, Lorelei. Please.)" He gave me a light peck on the lips.

"Sie sind soviel besser als dieses, Fredrick. (You are so much better than this, Fredrick.)" I fixed his hair by combing my hand through the front. "Sie gerade kennen es nicht. (You just don't know it.)" I let go of him and bent over to pick up my clutch that he had dropped on the floor during our little...session. I opened it to reveal my small gun. I sighed quietly and gripped it in my hand. "Auf Wiedersehen, Fredrick." I said without turning around. I took a step towards the door and swiftly turned around, firing four shots into his chest. He cried out in pain as he fell to the ground on his stomach. My bottom lip trembled as I watched his body. I will love you until the end of time, Lorelei. Tears sprang into my eyes as I began dry sobbing. Gasps of breath escaped me as I stood there, looking at him. It had to be done, I kept telling myself. He was either going to be shot or blown up. I guess I was doing him a favor, even though it didn't feel like it. For the first time in my life, I didn't know what to do. I started shaking as I stepped closer to his body. My shaking hand advanced towards his leg, rubbing it comfortingly. I didn't know what the hell was wrong with me.

I got closer to his face. He gave out a groan and with that he caught me off guard. Two bullets pierced my stomach as he shot up. I gasped. I could still see the love in his eyes as I fell to my knees next to him. The warm blood bled through my dress and down my body as I fell on my back next to him. Tears were streaming down my face as I gasped for breath. I turned my head to the left and looked at him. He was staring at me, breathing lightly. I reached my left arm out and lightly tapped his side. His hand slid into mine as we just sat there, bleeding to death.

His grip on my hand seemed to falter as time passed until his hand gripped mine no more. He was dead. I let out a frustrated cry and let my tears fall freely. I was going to die alone.

This wasn't supposed to happen.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little Fredrick + Lorelei action *wolf whistle*...too bad he died :(
This isn't the end, just so you know ;)
For those of you wondering, this is her outfit

Three updates in one day?! AHHHHHHHH!
Helllllo new readers and subscribers :) Thank you for stopping by and giving this a chance. I would also like to thank my loyal readers and commenters.

Oh, and I totally chose the name Marietta because it is a song by Drop Dead, Gorgeous :)

Feedback?