Simple Kind of Man

Pure, Unadulterated Hell

I was in hell. Pure, unadulterated hell.

The devil sat across from me in a white dress shirt rolled up to the elbows, his eyes searing into me with their quiet intensity, his voice with its soothing drawl speaking softly as the flames licked over my skin, the heat burned into my bones and the want glowed like an ember inside of me. It obliterated everything but him.

It was really fucking annoying. And distracting.

I'd never felt this kind of physical pull for another person. I mean, obviously I'd lusted after people before - I was no virgin, but this kind of instinctual reaction, this magnetic pull in my gut was new. I felt almost out of control of myself. I watched him speak, his words slow and deliberate, but articulate. I could see the inner mechanisms; the time and effort he placed on making sure the words that escaped his lips were exactly what he wanted to say.

Eventually my attention was distilled to tunnel vision in which I could see only the movement of his lips as he formed each word, the soft passes of his tongue when he licked his lips between phrases, and the only sound I could ascertain was the blood beating heavily in my veins.

I could hardly focus on the dialogue happening beside me. The pulsing tension around me fluttered at the edges of my consciousness, but I only took full notice of it when Charlie raised his voice in response to something Judith said about Emily. It was then I was pulled from the Aiden Daniels, Esq Tractor Beam of Hot and engaged in the proceedings. I calmed Charlie as best I could and urged them both to remain cordial while conducting official business.

I urged myself to keep my rampaging hormones in check and do the Smithson.

When Charlie and Judith left shortly after, I went to the bathroom to give myself a little come to Jesus talk. This shit was getting completely out of hand. I'd been using Aiden's extra office for nearly two weeks, and the magnetic pull toward him had only intensified with each passing day. His scent would envelope me every time I walked into his building; something earthy and slightly spicy. His voice would haunt me throughout the day as he spoke with clients; the sincerity in his deep tones reverberating through me. I'd feel his eyes on me every now and then; filled with an intensity I could not name, but felt as though it were his hands on my skin. We'd eat lunch together occasionally, his easy laughter and childhood stories making me ache for reasons I could not define.

He'd brush past me in the hallway or the kitchen, and every nerve ending on my body would tremble. He'd once wiped a stray blot of salad dressing from the corner of my mouth with his thumb, and that one small touch ignited my entire body. I felt myself grow hot and wet at just his thumb on my mouth and knew he would wreck me with anything more than that innocuous touch.

I cursed myself for the feelings I could not control; I felt weak and guilty for not being able to stop them, to curb my rampant desire for a man I hardly knew. I was engaged. I had no right to even think these things, let alone act on them. I couldn't allow myself to throw away everything I'd worked for in the last ten years because I merely lusted after another man. I knew what was right and what was wrong, and I wasn't going to let myself forget it.

When I emerged from the bathroom I felt better. Stronger. Capable of controlling myself. I had a case to win, and I needed to hone my focus on the job I was here to do. And when it was done, I would go home. To my life. To James. And I'd forget all about my involuntary attraction to one Aiden Daniels.

It didn't matter that the thought made me feel inexplicably hollow and empty and aching inside. It was what was right.

I gathered the paperwork I needed to work on that night in a rush, suddenly needing to be away - somewhere that didn't require me to swallow his scent like air with every breath.

"Hey," I said, poking my head into his office. He looked up, startled. "Sorry. Umm... I'm heading out for the night, see you tomorrow?"

He smiled, the line of his mouth tight and I wondered what was bothering him. I almost asked, but realized it would be counterproductive.

"Ok, have a good night, Emily."

I nodded and waved, and nearly sprinted to the door. I got all the way to the hotel and into my room before I realized I'd left a key document behind at the office. Shit. I weighed my options. I could be completely unproductive for the rest of the night, thereby making the next day a complete clusterfuck, or I could go back and retrieve the paperwork I needed. I sighed in defeat. I had to go back.

It'll be fine. Good for you, even. An exercise in self-control.

Right.

I dragged my feet heading back, giving myself mental pep talks the entire way. As I opened the door the Aiden's office, I could hear music playing in his office, some slow southern beat that sounded vaguely familiar. I walked to his office, intending to let him know I'd come back for a minute so he didn't think someone had broken in or something. The sight with which I was met stopped my heart.

He was sitting behind his desk, his shirtsleeves still rolled up to the elbows, his hair in wild disarray from what looked like his hands running through it... and he was wearing glasses. Tortoiseshell rimmed, sing to me in the key of motherfuck glasses. He had a glass of amber liquid beside his elbow, and his head was bent as he read the document in front of him. For a moment, I thought he was mouthing the words on the page as he read until it registered that I could hear two voices singing.

Aiden. Was. Singing.

His husky voice was good whiskey; smooth and sultry and seeping into my veins like fire.

Forget your lust for the rich mans gold

All that you need is in your soul
And you can do this if you try
All that I want for you my son
Is to be satisfied


It was as though he was singing my anthem, singing about the man I secretly desired, the man I could not find. A simple man. He was singing about himself and in that moment the world ceased to exist. I could see only the man sitting in front of me, I could only watch his lips move as he sang softly, I could only hear his voice echo through the room.

It was him.

"Aiden," I gasped.

His head snapped up, and the eyes that latched onto mine turned dark and intense. They were filled with desire.

He wanted me.

Nothing else mattered in that instant. I crossed the room to him in quick strides. He pushed away from his desk as I approached, and I immediately sank into his lap, and covered his lips with my own. We groaned at the contact, a noise of both desperation and satisfaction. His warm, rough hands came to my face, holding me to him as our mouth opened to taste and tangle and devour.

He tasted of whiskey and want, the flavor like a slow burning fire on my tongue. My hands went to his hair, my fingers threading through the wild mass, the strands surprisingly soft and cool. His mouth left mine to blaze a hot, wet trail over my jaw, down my neck, resting for a moment on my thundering pulse point before sucking gently and wringing a choked gasp from me. His hands roved down my back to my hips, pulling me to him as his mouth met mine again. I rocked against him, unable to restrain my need for him, the desire to feel my every inch pressed against him. To be consumed bodily, just as thoughts of him had consumed my every moment since I'd laid eyes on him.

He leaned back, his eyes burning into mine, his fingers clutching my hips. "Emily, I..." I cut him off, placing a finger at his lips.
I couldn't take words right now. Couldn't answer questions. I could only feel. I could only need.

"Just let me," I murmured against his neck. "Just touch me... I can't... I need..." I trailed off as his mouth met mine again.

"I know," he groaned. "I know."

And I knew that he did.
♠ ♠ ♠
El fin. Show me some love people.

Be sure to check out my profile; I'll be starting a new story soon. Also, if you haven't. check out my other stories - It's Not What They Say, It's What They Whisper (Complete) and A Long Way from Home (In Progress).

Bye for now!