Status: COMMENTSUBSCRIBE <3 I lurvee you guys. (:

Finding Heaven

thirteen

His lips pulled away from mine. It was a short kiss, but it was enough to paralyze me and turn me into stone.

I reeled myself back to my senses and glared at the brown-haired—a darker color than Max’s—guy with sweet almond eyes.

His hair was cropped medium-length layers, a bit longer than Alex’s. He was my bestfriend back in Ohio… and he’d come here for me.

“Why did you have to do that, Joshua?” I rolled my eyes.

Everyone else remained quiet behind us.

“It was a greeting,” Joshua grinned as he looked over my shoulder and fixed his eyes on—

I followed his gaze.

Alex.

~

Who the hell is this guy? Alex wondered irritably.

Joshua, yes. That was his name, alright. Joshua looked at him as if challenging him—like sparks were moving back and forth from the two of them.

He glared at him one last time before he yanked Dakota closer to him.

“Hey—“ Dakota blurted, but he quickly cut her off.

“The guy just kissed you!”

The guy—Joshua—pulled Dakota back to his side.

Oh, you want to play that way, huh? Alex smirked. He pulled Dakota again.

“What are they doing?” Max asked Emily.

“It’s a guy thing; I think.”

~

This is getting out of hand.

I shoved their arms away from me and barked, “Quit playing tug of war with me, you two! Ugh. Are you kids?”

I glared at Alex, wondering what the hell was up with him. Then I shot Joshua the same glare, hoping that he would just shut up and explain.

Alex sighed in resignation, and Joshua smiled triumphantly.

“I’m here to visit you, obviously,” Joshua said.

Beside me, Alex hissed, “You didn’t have to kiss her.”

I shook my head and told them that I’ll handle this back at the dorm. Joshua wrapped his arm around my waist (like he usually did back at home) and carried my bag.

Call me crazy or whatever, but I felt like someone was throwing icy, death picks behind my back. An ominous atmosphere enveloped us until we’d arrived at the dorm.

I unlocked the door and gestured for Joshua to enter. I scowled at Alex when he forced himself inside. He walked away and slammed their door shut.

I sighed.

“Who was that guy?” Joshua asked, making himself comfortable, sitting on my bed.

I shook my vest off before I sat on my desk and faced him, “That was Alex Alden. The other two were his brother, Max, and my BFF, Emily Hawkins. Remember Uncle Robert? They are his sons. ”

“I don’t like that guy.”

“You shouldn’t have kissed me all of a sudden,” I said. “They’re probably wondering what that was about.”

“Let them.” Joshua grinned. “I love you that much. I’m not scared of showing them. Especially not to that punk, Alex.”

If you’re wondering what the relationship between Joshua and I is, well, we’re childhood best friends. His family and mine were friends. He’s eighteen, but he acts like a damn eight year old.

To put it simply, he’s like my big brother, so please don’t misunderstand.

“I won’t ever let that guy date you,” Joshua pouted.

I chuckled nervously, “No one mentioned dating, Josh.”

His almond eyes looked straight at mine, “I’m a guy, remember?” His lips curled into one of his wise, I-know-it-all smiles. “I could at least tell that that’s what he thinks.”

Again, my heart raced hysterically like a crazy, old lunatic.

“I won’t approve of him. He looks overly possessive of you.”

You should’ve met Chase, I thought.

“Anyway, where are you staying tonight?” I asked shortly, deciding to just drop the subject and move on.

Joshua smiled.

“Here, of course.”

He said it like a big DUH on my face.

~

Perverted Older Guy + Thick-headed Girl sleeping on the same bed = BAD.

Alex jumped over to Dakota’s balcony. He leaned closer to listen to their conversation. This guy was obviously taking advantage of Dakota, just because she was the densest girl on the entire planet.

I’ll kill him for sure, Alex gritted his teeth. I’ll chop him into bazillion pieces until he can’t be identified, the little fuck.

Alex cursed even more when he heard Dakota agree and say, “Sure.”

She’s totally defenseless! She’s not even thinking clearly!

“Great,” Joshua said a few seconds later. “I’ll go out for a while and explore. If a leech enters your room, call 911.”

Did he just call me leech?

He heard the door shut shortly.

Alex waited for a few seconds before he slowly crept to the glass door.

His jaw dropped when he saw Dakota reaching for the hem of her shirt and started pulling it upwards—

She’s undressing, oh my God, Alex closed his eyes and looked away…

Oops. Wrong move there.

Alex hit his back against the glass…

And startled Dakota.

~

If you didn’t skip the first two chapters and paid attention to whatever was written there, then you probably know how scared I am of ghosts.

Abruptly, I pulled my shirt back down and grabbed the nearest weapon I could reach—a pillow. A freaking pillow.

Okay, Dakota, it might not be a ghost. It might be a pervert, just like what Joshua said.

I looked for my phone… phonephonephonephonephonephone—and saw it lying on top of my bed, near the freaking glass door.

It was dark, okay, and the balcony lights weren’t on. I didn’t know who or what the hell was out there.

Just then, something in the dark moved. I started to panic.

It really wasn’t a ghost—it was a damn person!

A pervert?

On the count of three, Dakota, run out of your room.

One.

Two.

Three—

“Dakota!” A familiar voice called almost indistinctly from outside the glass frame.

“Alex?”

I approached the balcony door and turned on the light switch next to it. Alex, still wearing our gray, vested winter uniform, stood there.

“I’m sorry; I can explain. Lemme in,” he said in a rushing tone.

I raised an eyebrow at him, “Alex, you’re suspicious.”

“Just lemme in, before that brat comes back.”

I smiled teasingly. “No,”

Alex walked over to the railing and raised one knee up and challenged me, “I’ll jump.”

“You won’t.”

He leaned even more, “Try me.”

He boosted himself up—and that was when I acted rashly without thinking. I slid the door open, and pulled Alex’s sleeve.

I’ve said before that I magnetize soap opera moments.

And here it is.

Alex, bumping his head on the ground, and me, lying on top of him, with our faces a few inches away. I could feel the rise and falls of his chest.

Soft,” he murmured shortly.

It took me a moment to process what he’d just said.

Chest… My eyes widened. CHEST!!!

I quickly sat up; my face flushed with embarrassment. He did the same.

“Hey, I didn’t—“

Before he could even finish his damn sentence, I hit him on the head with my palm in full force that probably shook his brains.

"Ow!"

We both fell into an awkward silence that emphasized the sound of rustling leaves and various nocturnal animals and insects.

I leaned on the railing, sitting on the floor with my head still somewhere far, far away. Alex started to crawl next to me.

He broke the quiet silence with one word, “Joshua.”

“What’s up with you and him?” I sighed.

“That creep… did he do anything to you?”

I scoffed, “Joshua? Come on! He’s a brother to me, silly.”

Silence again.

“What am I to you then?” he asked shortly.

I glanced at him suddenly. That completely bowled me over.

Tell him that he’s like your brother, a tiny voice ordered me.

Is he really?

Of course he is! He’s like a brother!

“You’re—“

“What am I to you?”

“—a br…”

It’s no use. I can’t say it.

Why?

Face it, Dakota. You—

“I don’t,” I blurted without meaning to.

Alex raised an eyebrow, “What?”

“Uh, sorry. What were you saying again?” I amended.

He rolled his eyes and inclined himself closer to me. I could feel his warm breath… too close… Alex was too close.

Alex reached for something in his pocket. My gaze fell to it and I saw a white hanky.

He rubbed my lips with it.

“Joshua kissed you, so,” he explained tersely. I couldn’t see his expression clearly, but I could tell that his face was a different shade from usual.

Thump.

No way.

Thumpthumpthumpthumpthump. My heart began beating rapidly again.

It’s different from when I was with Chase—and it’s different from when I was with Joshua. This is different. Alex is different.

I think I—

“What are you guys doing?” Max shouted from their side of the balcony.

I quickly stiffened.

Beside me, I heard Alex mutter almost inaudibly, “Nice timing,”

“Sorry, bro.” Max stuck out his tongue. “Dad’s on the phone.”

Great.” Alex rolled his eyes before he stood and hoisted me up.

I glanced from Max to Alex before I spoke, “Can I talk to him, too?”

Alex looked at me with a confused expression, and nodded briefly soon after. He tilted his head back to their room, signaling for me to come with them inside.

I guess my feelings would have to wait until the three of us settle our own problems.

And yes, I have realized what this is.

This is… something different from what I’ve thought.