Status: COMMENTSUBSCRIBE <3 I lurvee you guys. (:

Finding Heaven

five

“What did you just say?” My eyes widened at what he’d just said. The playboy part was kind of hard to swallow—but the comment he said about me being a little pretty completely made my heart stop.

He averted his eyes abruptly, realizing what he’d just said. His cheeks—and no, I’m not kidding, honestly—turned into a reddish shade of extremely ripe tomatoes. “Weren’t you listening? I said that… Chase is a playboy.”

“You’re one to talk.” I snorted, finally returning to my normal self. Maybe he said that just to make me lower my guard down. “You act like you’re a good guy.”

“Hey, I’m telling you the truth—“

“Guess what—” I cut him off brusquely. “—oh, right, you don’t have to guess cause it’s very obvious that I don’t believe you.”

I turned away from him and walked out of the canteen as fast as I could.

~

My heart was shattering.

I sat on my bed, with my chin tucked in between my knees and my arms crossed over them as I drowned myself in confusing thoughts.

Honestly, I’m not pretty sure that I didn’t believe in Alex. He wouldn’t have a reason to lie about it after all. But somehow I trusted Chase. I mean, the way he looked at me with concern seemed real enough. And the way he made me feel was amazingly different. Being with him actually made me happy.

Abrupt knocks on my door startled me and made me jump. I peeked through the hole and saw Alex waiting outside.

What does he want now?

I sighed and opened the door slightly.

“What?” I said tiredly, my eyes boring into his.

“Still don’t believe me?” Alex asked, hands on his jacket’s pockets.

“Chase is your friend and yet you tell a girl who likes him how horrible he is?” I blurted without putting too much thought into it. I didn’t know why the hell I just said that. Blood rushed to my cheeks.

His eyes widened blankly as he processed this.

“No,” He said shortly. “Don't you even dare like him.”

“What, you’re my dad now?”

He slammed a fist against my door anxiously. I winced. “You’re my slave and you should do as I tell you! You already agreed!”

“I said I would only follow reasonable requests!” I reminded.

“Isn’t this reasonable enough for you? Dammit, Dakota—“Alex’s eyes focused on mine irately, trying to read what’s going on inside my head. “How could you be so stupid?”

“You don’t have the right to tell me whom I should like.” I spat.

Alex stepped back, giving me his infamous scowl.

“No, I don’t.You’re right.” He fumed in stiff resignation. “Don’t come crying to me when he breaks your heart. Like him all you want, for the hell I fucking care.”

I closed the door ruefully with my back against it as Alex walked away and left.

~

Alex and I hadn’t talked to each other since that incident. I secretly checked upon him once in a while, asking Max how they’ve been doing.

“He’s always out partying, like, every night.” Max said.

“Oh.” I bit my lip nervously.

“Usually in a cranky mood, a couple of black spots on his arms and his face that he probably got from fights at a bar or something like that. Aside from that he smells like a girl—“ He looked at me quizzically. “Do you have any idea what happened to him?”

I didn’t want to assume that it was because of me, so I just shook my head.


“You look pale.” Emily told me. “Is there something wrong?”

I smiled half-heartedly at her, just to reassure her that I am—even though I’m not.

“I’m okay.” I lied.

~

Emily had to go to the clinic, so when the bell rang and signaled the start of break, I frankly didn't look forward to it for the first time.

And why, you ask?

Simple.

It’s because I’ll probably cross paths with the two people I've been trying my hardest to avoid recently —Chase and Alex.

“Dakota!”

Speak of the devil.

“Hey, Chase,” I greeted him tentatively.

Chase rubbed the back of his neck nervously, “So, I was wondering—“

The world hates me today, huh?

I know what you're thinking: Now what did you see, Dakota, you annoying little nit-picker?

Oh nothing! It's just that behind Chase, I saw Alex with his own crazy crowd, glaring at me so intently that it even made me mentally talk to myself.

“—that maybe you would want to hang out with me this afternoon?” Chase was saying. I turned to face him abruptly, pulling away from Alex's eyes. “Hey, you okay?”

“Y-yeah.” I said as convincingly as I could.

“You sure?”

I nodded.

“So, we game for later?”

I glanced at Alex and Chase must’ve noticed it because he looked over his shoulder.

“Is he bothering you again?” Alex asked, his attention back to me.

I watched as Alex and his crowd turned and walked away.

I don’t know why, but when Alex turned his back away from me, I felt like it was for good. He was turning his back on me, leaving me alone to do what I wanted to do. Forever.

And the sad truth was—

That it hurt a hell of a lot more than when Alex had warned me about Chase.

Warm drops trickled down my cheeks.

Tears?
♠ ♠ ♠
Pretty short, I know. =))
Comments please?

Is everything happening too fast? Is it starting to become confusing? Am I going out of track? Is it becoming boring? Is it becoming annoying? Does this chapter suck? And should I rewrite and change this chapter?? TELL ME PLEASE cause IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!!

*Bows*