Status: Complete and edited

Two is Better Than One

Thunder Bay

Jordan’s POV

I slammed my phone down on the chair next to me and stared off into the dark night. She was not happy at home. As much as she wanted to go, I can tell she wants out now. I understood why she would want to leave, it was so hard hearing Steven yell at her like that and not be able to do anything about it and then having her call me back sobbing. I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. I looked to my right when I heard the porch door open.

“Jordan, is everything okay?” My mom asked.

I sighed and looked at her. “No mom, everything is not okay.”

“What’s wrong? You can talk to me.”

“I know” I sighed. “There’s this girl-“

“Is her name Allie perhaps?” I just stared at her. “I’m a mom, I know things. Plus your brother told me. Continue your story anyway.”

I just shook my head and chuckled. “Well she’s back home in California for Christmas and I talked to her today.” I stared out into the open field in front of us. “She’s not happy. While I was on the phone with her, her mom’s boyfriend came into her room and demanded to know who she was on the phone with. She was scared and I could tell she was.”

“What did she tell him?”

“That she was on the phone with a friend, which wasn’t a lie because we are friends. She told me she was scared and that she wished I was there with her. Then she called me about five minutes ago sobbing because Steven, her mom‘s boyfriend, called her a slut at dinner and her mom didn‘t really do anything to defend Allie.”

My mom gasped. “Why would he do that? Allie sounds like such a sweet girl.” I smiled. Mom hasn’t even met her and she already liked her.

“Because she’s friends with all the guys on the team and because she lived with Kris and I for a little while.”

“So he thinks that in order for her to be friends with all of you guys she had to sleep with them?” I nodded. “That’s absolutely horrible. That poor girl.”

“Mom, I was thinking about going to California in a couple of days to ask her to be my girlfriend, but I’m afraid that if I show up Steven is going to do something to her.”

“Has he been violent with her before?” She asked.

“She says he hasn’t and I believe her, but that won’t stop him from getting violent.”

“What about her father? Where is he?”

“With his girlfriend. Her parents are going through a nasty divorce right now and Allie is stuck in the middle of it. That’s the main reason she moved to Pittsburgh, to get away from it all. Plus, Allie hates her dad for cheating on her mom.”

“You’re worried about her aren’t you?” She asked, smiling.

“I really am mom. I’ve never felt like this about a girl before. I want to be there for her.”

We sat in silence for a little while. I was thinking about Allie, locked up in her room in order to keep herself safe. A girl should not have to do that in her own house.

“Go to California and bring her back here for the holidays.” My mom said suddenly.

I looked at her like she had two heads for a split second and then smiled. “Really? You don’t mind if bring her here even though she’s not my girlfriend?”

“You just told me that you were thinking about asking her to be your girlfriend. Even if you didn’t I can tell that you really like this girl.” She stood up. “Plus, I want to meet the girl who has made my boy so happy and cut down on his drinking and partying.” She smiled before walking back into the house.

How did she know about my partying habits?

My mom stuck her head out the door. “Again I say, I’m a mom. Now, go book yourself a flight. Do you want one of your brothers to go with you? I’m sure one of them wouldn’t mind going.”

I laughed. “No mom. I can do this on my own.” I picked up my cell phone and dialed the airlines. Five minutes later I was on the first flight to LAX tomorrow morning. I got up form my seat and went up to my room to get some sleep.

Allie’s POV

I woke up the next morning with a headache from crying and my phone vibrating off of my night stand. I sat up and grabbed the moving device and opened it. I had a missed call from Alaina and a text message from Jordan wishing me a happy Christmas Eve. I smiled and threw my covers off of me and I made my way to my door.

I was halfway down the stairs when I noticed Steven sitting at the dining room table reading the morning paper. Without making a sound I turned around and went back upstairs and to the bathroom to shower. My stomach protested against my idea of no breakfast since I barely ate dinner last night. After my shower I took another trip downstairs and saw the Steven didn’t more from his spot. Without a glance in his direction I made myself toast and got some coffee. As soon as both were done I went back to my room and spent the rest of the day in there.

It was around six at night when there was a knock on my door “Go away please.” I said nicely. Mom had been pretty understanding about me not coming out of my room, but she was starting to get impatient.

“Allie,” My heart jumped at the sound of that voice. “It’s-“

I opened the door quickly and jumped on my unexpected guest. “Ohmygod. What are you doing here?” I asked as he hugged me back. Everything from last night vanished as soon as I was in his arms.

“I realized that you needed me here with you.” He smiled.

I pulled him into my room and shut the door. “So how did you get past Steven down there?” I asked.

“He was busy and your mom ushered me up here before he noticed.” He laughed,

“God, I love my mom.” I said giving him another hug.

We didn’t say anything for a while, we just sat on my bed in each other’s arms. I was almost asleep when Jordan sat up and looked over at my clock.

“Allie, I have a question for you. Do you have a passport?” He asked

I gave him a questioning look. “Yeah. Why?”

“Come with me to Thunder Bay. You aren’t happy here and last night was a nightmare and I wasn’t even here. I was so worried about you last night.”

“Jordan, are you sure?” I asked

“My mom was actually the one who came up with the idea.” He looked at me with those blue eyes of his. “I told her about everything that happened last night. I’m sorry, but it was bothering me and I tell my mom everything that’s bothering-“

I cut him off by placing my lips on his. It just seemed like the right thing to do at the time. “I would love to leave this hell hole.” I said when I pulled away.

Jordan smiled at me. “I was hoping you’d say that. Now here’s the catch though. Can you be packed in about an hour? Our flight leaves in about three.”

I nodded and quickly jumped off my bed to grab my suitcase and I quickly repacked it. I made sure I threw Jordan and Alaina’s presents into it before I zipped it up. I grabbed my ever famous Pens hoodie and put that on because I knew it was going to be cold on the plane. Jordan grabbed my bag and we made our way downstairs. That’s when I froze. We were going to have to face him.

Jordan nudged my lightly to keep moving. We went into the living room where my mom was hanging up the stockings and Steven was watching TV. When we entered the room and he saw who I was standing next to his eyes bugged out of his head and he stood up from his seat.

“Who the hell is this?” He demanded, looking at Jordan like he was something stuck to the bottom of his shoe.

“This is Jordan. Jordan this is Steven my mom’s boyfriend.” I said introducing the two men.

“So has she slept with you?” Steven asked

“No, sir. We are just friends.” Jordan answered coolly.

I shook my head at Steven and went over to where my mom was standing. I leaned in close to her so all I would do is whisper and she’d hear me. “Mom, Jordan is taking me home with him. I can’t be here, not after what happened last night.” I said, watching Steven and Jordan out of the corner of my eye. They seemed to be having a silent conversation with their eyes.

She nodded and reached under the tree and pulled out three boxes with my name on them. “Here, open these on the way to the airport. I love you sweetie and I’m so sorry about last night.”

I hugged my mom. “Mom, it’s not your fault. Him and I just don’t get along and you finally saw that. I will call you tomorrow and I need to really talk to you about some things. I love you mom.”

“I love you to baby. Have fun and a safe trip home.”

“I will. Will you tell dad that I’m sorry to bail on him?” I asked.

She nodded and hugged me again. I tucked the boxes under my arm and reached for Jordan’s hand. “Come on Jord, let’s go.” Jordan nodded and picked up my bag. We were almost out the door when I heard Steven mumble something under his breath. Before I could even turn around to reply, Jordan was already there, shoving Steven against the wall.

"If you think that you can get away with making all those fucking snide comments you are in for a rude awakening." He hissed.

"Why the hell do you care about that lying slut of yours so much? She just fucks you, then goes to your buddy and fucks him too. If I were you, I'd get myself checked for some STDs." Steven smirked, clearly not fazed by the 6'4" hockey player's threat.

I heard my mom's intake of breath, followed closely behind by the unmistakable sound on a fist meeting a face. I looked back over to Jordan and Steven to see Steven on the ground, holding a bloody nose. Jordan picked him up and slammed him back into the wall, lifting his feet a few inches off the ground in the process.

Jordan had a look of pure hatred on his face. He leaned in until he was mere inches away from the mangled face of Steven. "What the hell don't you get, asshole? If you ever insult her like that again, you will have a team of pissed off hockey players at your front door, personally led by me, and we will beat the shit out of you one after the other, until you understand how wrong you were, and how far friends will go to protect each other, got it?!"

Steven glared at him with murderous looks and just spit blood at him.

"You little fucker!" Jordan shouted, punching Steven in the gut this time. He crumpled to the floor with a moan. Jordan then picked up my bag, grabbed my hand again, and started walking towards the door.

Slightly shocked, I followed him out of the door, but before I closed it I had some things to say. “Mom, I love you.” I smiled and then glared at Steven, who was still on the ground. “Steven. Fuck You.” With that I slammed the door and quickly made my way to Jordan’s waiting rental.

Once I was in the safety of the car did I finally let my tears fall. Jordan slammed his hand against the steering wheel. “Fuck!” He sighed and then grabbed his hair. “God damn him.” I wanted to comfort him, but I was shaking and trying to calm myself down. After a few more minutes of releasing more pent up anger, Jordan finally calmed down enough to notice me breaking down. He reached over and stroked my cheek. “Shh, Allie it’s all over now. He won’t hurt you.” I pushed my face into his hand as he rubbed small circles with his thumb. I pressed a light kiss to his palm before pulling away and, taking a shaky breath. I looked at the boxes mom gave me and began opening the top box.

Inside was the most beautiful red dress and a necklace to go with it. The next one made me and Jordan smile, it was a Pittsburgh Penguins blanket. The third box was a bit smaller and I was curious to see what was inside. It was a simple black picture frame that had my mom’s signature handwriting on it.

“What does that say?” Jordan asked, glancing at it quickly.

I chocked back a sob. “Me and my sibling.” I read. I looked at Jordan. “Jordan, my mom’s pregnant.” I placed my face in my hands and sobbed. Jordan pulled off the road and rubbed my back. My mom was pregnant and I just walked out on her. Damn it that meant that that asshole got her pregnant and he was now going to be a father. Ha, yeah right. The guy hates me, I’m pretty sure he’s going to hate this kid too.

“Shh babe, it will be okay.” He said quietly.

“No it won’t. That asshole got her pregnant, he hates me. What makes you think he isn’t going to hate this baby or try and hurt my mom?” I was suddenly scared for my mom. “Jordan, I have to go back there. If he finds out, he’s going to flip shit on her. He could hurt her.”

“Allie. Allie, look at me.” I finally looked at him. “Your mom is a strong woman. Call her tomorrow and tell her your fears, we can always arrange for her to come to Pittsburgh if something happens.”

I looked into those blue eyes and saw nothing but concern and love. I did the one thing that seemed natural in a moment like this. I kissed him. He kissed me back and when we pulled apart he rested his forehead on mine.

“Everything will be fine, Allie. You’ll see.”

Jordan put the car back into gear and we continued our journey to LAX. Before we checked my bag in, I put the red dress in my carry-on bag since we weren’t landing until tomorrow morning, I was going to need something to change into. I also put the blanket and picture frame into my suitcase. Once we were all checked in, we sat at the gate for about an hour before we boarded. I was almost asleep before we were even taxied out to the run way. Jordan lifted the arm rest so I could lay on his chest with his arm wrapped around me. I closed my eyes and quickly drifted to sleep. That last thing I heard before I was all the way asleep was Jordan humming Two is Better Than One

***

When I woke up I was so uncomfortable, my back and neck hurt and I had to use the bathroom. I sat up and noticed that Jordan was asleep next to me, as were most of the people on the plane. I looked around the cabin for the bathroom sign, when I spotted it and saw that it was unoccupied I sighed with relief. The next task I faced was getting past Jordan without waking him up or the people in front of us. I unbuckled my seat and shuffled my way past him without bumping the seat in front of us or waking him.

When I got into the bathroom the first thing I saw was my reflection and it was scary. My hair was out of its ponytail and all frizzy. My make-up, or what little was left, was all smeared from crying and sleeping. I went to the bathroom and then attended to my appearance. I ran my hands under the water and then wet down my hair before putting it back into a ponytail. I took a paper towel and wet it so I could remove my leftover make-up. Once I was satisfied with the way I looked, I made my way back to my seat. Jordan was still asleep so I had to be careful getting back to in it. As I shuffled past Jordan, the plane took an unexpected turn and I ended up falling into his lap. He woke up and looked around, and then looked down at me. When he spotted me still laying there he smiled.

“Well hello there.” He smirked. “You know there is a bathroom we can go use.” He winked.

I sat up and smacked his chest before getting back into my seat. “Shut up Jordan.” I said.

He chuckled and pulled me into his side again, but I wasn’t tired anymore. Now I was nervous about meeting Jordan’s family and we weren’t even a couple. It was going to be weird.

Jordan was playing with my ponytail and I found myself relaxing some. “What are you thinking about?” He asked quietly.

“How do you always know when I’m thinking about something?”

“You kind of space out.” He chuckled.

I rolled my eyes and turned to face him the best that I could while still laying on him. “I was thinking about meeting your family. Jord, I’m scared. What if they don’t like me? I am just dropping in on them during the holidays.” I began to panic. “Plus, I’m showing up completely empty handed and-“

Jordan silenced me with placing a finger on my lips. “Allie, they will love you. You already get along with Eric and I’m pretty sure my mom is already in love with you.” He smiled. “She’s who matters the most.” He winked.

I rolled my eyes and sat up. “I’m serious Jordan,” I sighed. “I’m just scared I guess. I’m not so good with the whole meeting new people thing.”

Jordan kissed my forehead. “Everything will be fine. You are pretty good at meeting new people. Do you not remember meeting the rest of the team? You got along with them so well. Their girls too.” He hugged me. “You will be fine.”

I just sighed and laid my head on Jordan’s chest again. How do you act around the family of the guy you have a thing for and he has one for you, but you aren’t dating? Awkwardly, is the answer, this was going to be an interesting trip. I ended up falling asleep on Jordan as he rubbed my back. I found it really easy to calm down or relax with him around.

Jordan woke me up as the plane landed with a kiss on the forehead. “We’re here.” He smiled when I woke up.

Once we got my bags, I stopped in the bathroom to change into the dress my mom gave me.

“Wow, you look beautiful.” Jordan said as I met back up with him again.

I blushed at his complement. “Thanks, my mom does know how to pick them.” I looked down at my outfit and chuckled. “Though I don’t know how nice I’ll look with a hoodie on over this.”

“Don’t worry about it. It’s just me and I’ve seen you at your worst. Remember, we lived together.” He laughed.

I smacked his chest. “Shut up.” I blushed again. God, why was I blushing so much? Was it because there was something about the way we were acting towards each other? I wasn’t so sure about what was going on, but I was always the type of person to go with the flow. So that is what I planned on doing this trip. Go with the flow. Whatever happens, happens.

Jordan took my hand and lead me out to the parking lot. I shivered as soon as the cold Canadian winter air hit me. This was worse than the cold weather in Pittsburgh and I wasn’t liking it. Jordan noticed me shivering and quickly lead me to a black SUV and helping me in before putting my bags in the back. He quickly started the engine and turned on the heat. I looked out the window and towards the gray sky.

“If you want to sleep some more you can. It’s a bit of a drive back to the farm and from the looks of those clouds we might get hit with some nasty weather.” Jordan said, backing out of the parking spot.

I nodded and continued to look out the window. The only time I’ve seen that color gray in the sky was either a thunderstorm or a forest fire back in California. If it snowed it would be my first snow and I was getting excited for it. I unbuckled my seat belt and turned in my seat.

“What are you doing?” Jordan asked with a chuckle.

“Getting my blanket.” I simply answered as I climbed into the back of the car.

Jordan watched me from the rearview mirror and chuckled when I shouted ‘got it’ as I pulled it out of my suitcase. I climbed back to the front, careful not to bump Jordan’s arm and got back into my seat and got as comfortable as I could in a car. I was almost asleep when I felt Jordan reach for my hand that was on my leg. He continued to hold my hand as he drove and I just sat there looking out the window. I tried to sleep some, but I didn’t want to miss a new country passing by. The two of us also talked as Jordan drove. It was time like this when it amazed me that we always found things to talk about with each other no matter how much time we spent together. Not only was I enjoying the time we were spending together, but it was also keeping my mind off of what had happened at home and what I was about to do. As soon as Jordan turned onto a long dirt road, my nerves and worries from the plane were back. I didn’t want to do this anymore. I wanted to go back to California.

“Come on Allie, they won’t bite. I promise.” Jordan said, giving me the signature Staal smile.

I nodded and got out of the car quickly. I made my way to the back of the car to help Jordan with my bags, but he already had them in his hands. I followed him towards the door like a lost puppy. As we reached the steps, the front door opened and standing there was a petite blond woman wearing a red sweater.

“Welcome back, Jordan.” She smiled and turned to face me. “Ah, Allie it is so nice to finally put a face with the name. I‘m Linda, Jordan‘s mom if you haven‘t already figured that out.” She laughed.

I blushed and continued to stay at Jordan’s side. “It’s nice to meet you too.” I said in a tiny voice. “I’m sorry for just dropping in on your family like this.”

“Oh nonsense dear, Jordan asked if he could bring you.” Linda lead us inside. “He told me about what happened the other night and I’m so sorry you had to go through that.” She gave me a little hug and I relaxed a little bit.

“Everyone in the family room?” Jordan asked.

“Yes dear, we were just about to open presents.”

Jordan nodded and took my hand. I tried my hardest to keep Jordan from dragging me in there, but there was no way I was going to win. He lead me through the house and into a large room with the rest of the family sitting there. When we entered, all the conversations stopped and they all looked at me. Jordan squeezed my hand reassuringly before dropping it.

“Guys, this is my friend Allie.” Jordan said as an introduction.

I waved and whispered a hello. Everything felt so awkward with all their Christmas decorations and presents everywhere. I felt like an intruder.

Jordan turned to face me and to point everyone out. “Allie, this knuckle head sitting here is Jared, my younger brother.” He said patting the chair we were standing next to.

“Hey Allie, nice to meet you,” Jared said.

“Nice to meet you too, Jared.” I smiled

“Okay, the bouncing bundle over on the couch is my nephew Parker and the scary lookin’ dude next to him is his father, Eric.” Jordan said, picking up the still bouncing Parker.

“Unca J. She’s pretty.” Parker whispered loudly.

Jordan leaned into his nephew and smiled. “I know, right?”

“Say hi Parker.” Eric said from the couch.

“Hi, you’re pretty.” He said sweetly.

I couldn’t help but smile, he was just too adorable. “Thank you, Parker. You are looking quite handsome in your Lightening McQueen pajamas there.” I laughed as he gasped.

“You know Cars?” He questioned with a huge smile.

“I do.” I nodded. “Between you and me it’s one of my favorite movies.” I whispered loudly.

Parker turned to Jordan and pointed towards me. “Unca J, did you hear dat? She likes Cars too.”

Jordan chuckled and looked at me. “I did, buddy.”

Parker turned his attention back to me. “Will you watch it with me?”

I chuckled and looked at Jordan who shrugged his shoulders.

“Maybe she will before you go to bed and if you behave today.” Eric said with a chuckle. “Allie, it’s nice to meet you.” Eric said shaking my hand. “You’ve already met Parker, this is my wife Tanya.”

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you.” I smiled, relaxing.

“It’s nice to meet you as well. Both Jordan and Eric wouldn’t stop talking about you the other day.” She chuckled. “It’s nice to have another girl in the house.”

“Amen to that.” Linda said walking into the room with a tray.

I laughed and looked around the room. There was a guy sitting on the other end of the couch. “You must be Marc.” I chuckled.

He nodded. “Yeah, how’d ya guess that?” He laughed.

“Oh I don’t know. I think the red hair gave it away.” Everyone laughed and I relaxed even more. “Nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you too.”

Jordan came to my side, still holding Parker. “Allie, I want you to meet my father.” Jordan said pointing to the man sitting at the table.

“Hello there dear, I’m Henry. It is so nice to meet you. The boy wouldn’t stop talking about you, even when he called from the city.” Henry said,

“Well I hope they were good things.” I replied.

“Always.” He smiled. He stood up and gestured for me to follow him into the living room where presents were being opened. Mostly by Parker. I took the cup of coffee Linda offered me and took a seat on the floor between Jordan’s feet. I laughed as Parker tried to get one of his presents from behind the tree with no avail. I placed my coffee on the table and crawled over to him.

“What one are you trying to get?” I asked him, looking at the many boxes.

“Dat one.” He said pointing what I assumed was the Lightening McQueen wrapped box.

“This one?” I asked holding it out to him. He snatched it out of my hand, so I took that as a yes.

Once Parker opened all of his presents and was occupied with his new toys, the adults opened theirs. I laughed as the boys made fun of each other as well as the rest of the family. I was thoroughly enjoying myself with the family. They made feel so welcomed and a part of it, not just some girl who dropped in on their holiday.

Christmas with my family were never this joyous and fun. It was simple, open presents, have breakfast, and go to family members’ houses. We never had this many gifts either, one of the downs sides of having a small family I guess.

We were sitting around talking when my cell phone began to ring in my hoodie pocket. I pulled it out and saw that it was my mom.

“Excuse me, I have to take this.” I said walking into the kitchen. “Hello?”

“Merry Christmas, Allie.” My mom said.

I smiled. “Merry Christmas, mom. How are you this morning?”

“Good. Did you ever open your presents last night?” She asked

“I did. I loved the dress and the blanket.”

There was silence on the other line for a minute. “What-what about the other thing?”

I sighed. “Mom, I’m thrilled to be a big sister. I just don’t like the fact that Steven is going to be a father. If anything, I’d be scared to have him as my dad. Especially after the other night.” I said truthfully.

“ I know you don’t like him sweetie, but he makes me happy.”

“Mom, please tell me that you’re kidding.”

“I’m not Allison.”

Oh shit, she called me Allison. “Well, have you told him yet?” I asked

“Not yet, I’m going to tell him at his parent’s house.” I heard Steven in the background. “I’ve got to go dear. I’ll call you later.”

“Okay mom, love you.”

“Love you too sweetie.”

The phone line went dead and I closed mine. I ran my hands through my hair as I leaned back against the counter. I had a really bad feeling about this
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited