Uncompatible Love

Loyalties, Decisions and Hostilities

Ch. 20: Loyalties, Decisions, & Hostility*start*

*Bella’s POV* (after Violet & Bella talk @ the store)

Was I really not going to say anything? Was I really going to test my loyalty towards Edward? I had to tell him, he had a right to know about the wellbeing of his sister. Edward had been so miserable lately, oh and the others! They would all be thrilled to know that Violette was close all along. Would they overreact once they realized just where she was? More so, whom she was with? The wolves would kill her in a second if they knew what she was, why would she put her life in danger? Edward would be furious if he found out I was hiding this from him. And the others? What would they say? They would be disappointed in my decision, I was certain of that. Oh and Rosalie! Oh, Rosalie would certainly not take kindly to this secret; she already disliked me and questioned my trusts and loyalties. This would just give her more reason to believe so. Wouldn’t she corrupt the others?

On the other had, Violette did seem to be telling the truth. Was she with Embry? Oh no! Maybe he imprinted on her! Is that possible?! Could a werewolf really fall in love with its mortal enemy? Then again it wouldn’t surprise me; so many strange things already take place. Why would it be so hard to believe anyways? Had I, the human, not fallen in love with Edward, the vampires and vise versa? Maybe it was possible, I know love is blind, but I’m pretty sure the scent will still be pretty potent. Or can they not smell her?

Come to think about it, I don’t think Embry knew what Violette was. At the store he called out Violet. Didn’t Violette mean Purple or Violet in French? I think it did. Maybe she hasn’t revealed her whole identity to the La Push werewolves. The Cullens always spoke about how strong Violette could really be. Apparently she could be a large threat if she wanted to be. Her ability to manipulate powers allowed her many advantages in battle. Although, would they all really work on the wolves? She could not use the gift of site that she acquired from Alice on them which was her upper hand, but what other abilities had she learned to control? Could she maybe even stop the werewolves from shifting, was that even a power for the wolves? Violette seemed so fragile; she looked like the peaceful type. I just couldn’t see her as a fighter let alone partaking in an act of war. Would it really come down to that though, a war, if they find out the truth that is?

Jacob told me about imprinting once. How it was so strong and powerful and it bounded the couple together. He also told me that the imprint could not be harmed, or else the wolf was allowed to kill who ever had committed the crime. Something about it hurting the whole back in the end because of the pain and suffering it caused the wolf. Would Embry imprinting on Violette save her life enough not to start this war? I hope so, because if I plan on going along with my decision Violette will need all the protection she can get.

I have decided not to tell Edward, yet at least. Violette disserved a chance to explain herself. She was somewhat right and she deserved to be treated like an adult. I look at her and I see this young…child. I had to constantly remind myself that she was my elder. She had more experience in life; maybe I should trust her judgment. Besides, if she has found someone, as she claims, then she deserves this. It must have been hard all this time for her. Seeing all her brothers and sisters being happy. Carlisle and Esme, Rosalie and Emmett, Alice and Jasper and now me and Edward. Why shouldn’t she be entitled to her own happiness? *sigh* I’ll let her explain. Tomorrow the real test begins though. I will have to see just how good I am at lying. I wasn’t really lying to Edward though was I? I was simply keeping the truth from him. Right? *sigh* Tomorrow begins a new day and new problems. I’ll just have to see how things go.

*Next Day*

I woke up kind of stiff. I didn’t exactly have a good night’s sleep since I had constant dreams, contemplating the pros and cons of theses events and what the results could be. I had a dream that a war broke loose because Violette was killed, causing the deaths of all those mythical, that I cared for. I had another dream of how Violette, or Violet, elopes with Embry having super kids, Edward then finds out killing Embry causing yet another war. Either way all my dreams ended in a bloody battle of Vampires versus Werewolves. The dreams, or nightmares, had taken a lot out of me because I woke up with a start and my body had just burly started to slightly sweat. My forehead was somewhat moist and my palms felt kind of clammy. Before I even had a chance to stand up and react something cold touched my forehead.

-”Are you okay love?” I looked and saw a worried Edward bending down to cool my temperature.

-”F…fine. Just…had a nightmare.” I told him. He nodded.

-”About?” he asked. I hadn’t thought about that. I thought up quickly and lied; it was the only way to come up with a reasonable excuse.

-”T…the vampire….that snuck in my room…again sorry.” This wouldn’t have been the first time I had that dream anyways so I was pretty sure he wouldn’t suspect. His facial expression darkened and I regretted my choice of lies.

-”Don’t worry Bella. We will find them. No one will hurt you.” I just simply nodded my head. To ashamed to even utter a single sentence. “What would you like to do today Bella?” I just shrugged my shoulders.

-”You know Alice was planning on taking you somewhere shopping…you should. Go” I just nodded thinking it better. Alice would be suspicious, especially if it is while shopping. He kissed my forehead lovingly. “Good, no go get ready I’ll be back in a bit through the front door with the car.” I nodded as he kissed my lips affectionately once more before he was off. ‘Violette better confront everyone or at least me soon.’ I thought desperately. I knew I could not keep this up for long, I was so stressed out. What with the vampires and my graduation party right around the corner. I wasn’t sure what I was dreading more, this celebration”, or the confrontation of killer vampires out to get me.

*Violet’s POV*(a week later)

I laughed as Jacob and I emerged from the water. We had been getting close quite quickly over the week. It was like time was trying to erase all my past miseries. I was grateful, yet I felt as if something was missing. I wasn’t sure what though; I was high on life at the moment. I felt someone pick me up and throw me over someone’s shoulder. I looked down through my wet bangs and noticed it was Jake. I smiled and he was quick to return the gesture. I looked ahead of me and saw as Kim was hoisted over Jared’s shoulders. I was shorter than Kim, but Jared was slightly shorter than Jake. It was obvious what they wanted to do.

-”I got ten on Kim, no offense to shorty.” I heard Paul mutter.

-”I don’t know…Violet looks like she’s tough too, I’m placing my money on her.” I heard Quil’s voice say.

-”Ok…no hair pulling…no pantsing guys, (dat happened on our chicken fight game onceXD)…no biting or scratching and...oh if you’d like feel free to yank each others top off girls.” said Paul grinning. Jared and Jake glared at him not finding his joke amusing. Embry and Seth dunked his head in the water though and the “fight” began.

Me and Kim were pretty evenly matched. We were tied and we could here the others chanting and routing for someone to either win or fall off. Leah and Paul were rooting Kim while Embry and Quil cheered me on. Seth was too busy judging the fight and making sure we didn’t get to close to any rocks or near the shore, to prevent injuries. We had been at it for a few minutes and me and Kim were grinning as we shoved and pulled each other from side to side, backwards and frontward. I could feel Jake occasionally shifting his wait as he tried to make Jared slip or loose concentration. We were all just laughing when I saw Jared slip on something and took my opportunity. Unfortunately for me and Jake, he too slipped. The four of us went under the water and emerged laughing. Me and Kim hugged as we giggled.

-”Tie!” we shouted together.

-”Tie?! No re-do!” shouted the gambling boys. Them and their bets.

-”Hey…this way no one looses their money.” I told them. The still grimaced as they argued saying that one or the other won. I laughed at them. I turned to look for Jake and didn’t see him anywhere. “Jake!” I called out. “Ja…ahh!” I shouted out when I felt something pull me down. I panicked and surfaced up rapidly. I frowned at a grinning Jacob.

-”What? Aw I’m sorry…look…honest” he picked up his hands in surrender. I began to walk towards shore. “What?” he asked chuckling. I was only toying with him so it didn’t last long. He scooped me up bridal style and set me down on the sand with him hovering over me. “I’m sorry, honest.” he said seriously. I laughed. Jake looked funny serious for some reason. Like that look just didn’t belong on Jacob’s face. His beautiful, beautiful face. I thought I had sighed mentally, in my head, but I guessed wrong. The sigh that escaped my lips was a dreamy sigh, one of longing too. Jake smirked and kissed my lips as the kiss soon progressed.

-“Ugh! Get a room.” We separated to see Leah. In my time here she hasn’t seemed to warm up to me. I wonder why. Jacob glared at her and she walked up to the empty cliff. Jake continues as he began to kiss my neck. I just watched as Leah made her way to the edge and sat with her legs dangling over the fall. I pushed Jake slightly away.

-”I’m gonna go talk to her.” I told him as I began to stand. He pouted.

-”Just leave her…she’s just bitter.”

-”I want her to like me.” I told him. “I feel like…like I can help her.” Jacob sighed sitting upright as well. He ran a hand through his wet soggy hair as he shook the water drops off.

-”*sigh* Trust me…I doubt anyone can help her...at least none of us here.” He said looking away towards the other smiling teenagers. I looked back at Leah and saw her still there. I turned to Jake and gave him a quick, yet deep kiss and rose from my seat. I made my way over to the cliff in hopes of making peace with the bitter of the Clearwaters. I got there soon after as I stood right next to her looking towards the horizon. Leah kept her glance towards the drop, not even bothering to acknowledge my appearance. I was always a busybody, being generally curious too, but I also cared. She looked like she had been hurt, like if she was sad…not bitter or angry. Sad.

-”Can I sit here?” I asked pointing next to her on the cliff. She ignored me and I just sat. We sat in silence. “Leah? Why do you hate me?” I asked after a little bit. She snorted. “Did I do something? If I did I’m terribly sorry!” I muttered.

-”Wow..you really are too sweet for your own good.” she told me sarcastically.

-”I just…I thought we could be friends or something…” I told her trailing off. “You know…I thought that maybe we could be like sisters…or…”

-”No!” she growled snapping her gaze towards me. There was so much fury in her eyes, so much pain, hate, anger…sorrow, despair, sadness. “I don’t need a sister…” she growled out in that low threatening voice. I stood my ground, trying not to act fazed. I had learned to read emotions so well from Jasper., that sometimes I could read facial expressions easily and even the feelings through just a gaze. She was standing and I did too, this reminded me of when I‘d be mad at Edward and Alice would hug me. That usually made it better for me, it made me feel like someone cared. I hugged her and I could tell she was shocked.

-”I…I can tell you’ve been hurt.” I told her letting go. “I..I know you don’t need pity, but…maybe you need a friend then?” I asked. I saw a tear slide down her eye.

-”Why would you care? Why would any of you perfect imprints care?!” she shouted. I stared at her confused as she looked at me. I could no longer here the laughter of the others.

-”Imprint? I don’t know what you’re talking about, but what. I do know is that your hurting, your sad and your trying to cover it by being angry and bitter towards everyone else. I..I don’t know what happened to you, and that’s your business…but….maybe you could tell me.” she made an annoyed sound.

-”Tch…as if…why don’t you go back to your perfect jake and go make out huh?” She tried to walk around me, but I stepped in her way. I looked over the cliff and could see the others just staring at us. Jacob looked like he was getting ready to run. Why? I smiled and waved at them to ease the tension. Slowly, but steadily they continue with what they were doing.

-”Look I’m not trying to be nosy…honest. I don’t know what you went through, but maybe I could relate.” at that she seemed to snap and she glared. I could see her shaking. Shit…I was provoking her.

-”What would you know?! What would little Miss Perfect know about pain..about being betrayed. I thought I made it clear this whole week. I don’t like you and I don’t want you near me!” she was right. Since I got here actually she made it clear. I didn’t like all this hostility and I wanted to see if I could clear the air between us.

-”I know about pain…I’ve been betrayed before too Leah…I ran away remember? My life is far from perfect…let me help you get over this. If not for me for Jake?” I asked. She snorted. “Your friends?”

-”What friends? Those idiots? They don’t care about me!”

-”Seth? Your Mom? Would your dad like to see you like this?” she snapped at me and I heard her growl loudly. I could see her frame shaking violently. The others were calling her name out to snap her out of her daze, but her glare was fixed on me. I could make out Jacob’s calls, as he tried to get me to run. They thought I didn’t know what was about to happen, but I did. I would have to feign an act. I could see her step towards me trying to intimidate me. The others ran to us now.

-”Your afraid of me.” she growled smirking when she saw I stepped back a bit.

-”No…I just don’t like partaking in actual fights…I can tell I struck a nerve…I don’t like people talking about my family either…but think about it. Your mom told me about your dad…would you want him to see you like this…so bitter and unhappy. I haven’t once done anything to anger you or to act so hostile towards me. Why are you taking your anger out on me?” she growled.

-”Shut up…” she growled as she literally looked like she was about to erupt from her skin.

-”Leah…I know my dad wouldn’t want that form me…would yours?” at that she erupted into a large grey wolf. She lunged at me, but before she could even lay a finger on me I saw this russet wolf tackle it to the side. They snapped at each other for a little bit. Yapping at each other and growling at one another. I pretended to be shocked, although I was somewhat shocked that one of the others through themselves in front of me. I kept my wide gaze on the enormous wolves. Then suddenly another sandy colored one joined in along with a chocolate brown one. Leah was smaller than the other three, but the russet one had won her over and she was submissive. The other two led her toward the forest as she ran ahead.

My eyes were still wide, as I was still playing the part. I heard as Kim called out to me worried and ran to me embracing me as she asked millions of questions. Had I taken it too far? I just wanted to make peace. She was making it uncomfortable for everyone else. That was simply selfish of her, I couldn’t let her do that; it wasn’t nice. I honestly did want to be her friend, but it was evident that she wanted to rip my throat out. Kim tried to “soothe” me, but I just pushed her away. I could see Paul’s, Embry’s and Jared’s human forms step into the forest and disappear among the vegetation.

-”Jake?! Jake?!” I called looking around when I didn’t see him. Was he one of the wolves that first changed? Which one was he? I looked back to where Leah once was and saw the horse sized russet wolf staring at me with deep yet sad eyes. It’s head was somewhat down trying to look directly into my chrysoprase(it’s a green colored quarts, its used in like gems n jewelry. Very pretty^-^) eyes. I was slightly shaken now. Was this Jacob? He was the one that jumped in front of me?! He could have been hurt! “Jacob?” I whispered out. He looked pained and ran into the forest. I tried to reach out, but Kim stopped me, tugging at my arm.

-”Let’s go! We need to head Jake‘s!” I looked into the forest. Maybe I screwed up. Was Jacob disappointed in me too? I don’t think I’d be able to withstand anymore disappointed faces. I had hurt enough people. I cared deeply for Jacob; I would never forgive myself if I hurt him in any way! I let Kim drag me to where ever as I just thought about how stupid I was today. It seems that things get good only to get even worse.

*Jacob’s POV* (before Leah shifts)

I knew Violet just wanted to get on Leah’s good side. I growled thinking about Leah. She was the only one making my imprint feel out of place and uncomfortable and I didn’t like that one bit. I saw Violet go over to Leah, but I still kept my gaze on them. I could somewhat here what they were saying although it was hard since the others were laughing and Violet was talking calmly and hushed. Leah on the other hand looked like she was annoyed. She made eye contact for me for a second and she saw the glare I sent her I could see her head rise up little scowling at me.

I tried my hardest not to eavesdrop on them, but I was slightly tense. I decided to just stand up and if I thought things got too far I’d go over there to break things up. The others were still oblivious to what was going on, that is until Leah’s outburst.

-”Why would you care? Why would any of you perfect imprints care?!” All of us except Kim turned to stare at Leah and Violet up on top of the cliff. The others made their way over to me. They slowly approached me confused yet cautious at the same time. Kim looked like she had no idea what was going on and was unaware of the danger Violet was in.

-”Hey! What’s wrong?! Why’s everyone so tense? And why are Leah and Violet all the way over there are they gonna dive?” asked Kim all hyper and happy. Jared pulled her to his side. Seth came over and put his hand on my shoulder. We could here what was going on and he was kind of worried too. I didn’t turn to look; my gaze was fixed on the others. Violet saw us and she waved smiling, the others figured everything was ok and slowly began to go back to the water. I did too but not all the way. I was still close to the shore making sure nothing happened taking glances every few minutes. The others were still listening in on them, as was I, just didn’t show it.

-”What would you know?! What would little Miss Perfect know about pain...about being betrayed. I thought I made it clear this whole week. I don’t like you and I don’t want you near me!” I growled when I heard her say that. She may not want her near her, but I do and she better get used to it. The others turned to me and then back at Leah. Now I just stayed near the shore, the water reaching my ankles as my head was turned to the cliff they were on. I could here Violet speaking, she wasn’t being mean she was just trying to get to know Leah and be friends.

-”What friends? Those idiots? They don’t care about me!” I heard her shout. That wasn’t necessarily true. We cared for her; it was just annoying how she tried to make our lives hell with her constant thoughts. Sam had, had enough too and we all tried not to pay too much thought to her anymore. Violet asked her about Harry, Sue and Seth. I could see her somewhat shaking and I stepped out of the water and took a few steps towards the cliff, just a few. I took a few more when I saw her take a step closer to Violet. The others were slowly swimming to shore.

They spoke some more and I saw Leah shaking uncontrollably now and I ran to her, the others getting the message and following suit. Shit I thought Leah had more self-control then that. I ran to Violet, shouting for her to run away from Leah. The others were shouting at Leah to get her to go into the forest and calm down. The others followed and Jared stayed back to keep an eye on his imprint just in case. Kim already knew our secret, but still, she could be in danger and right now my imprint was in danger.

I saw Leah explode into her wolf form and I jumped exploding into my own. I rammed into her in mid-air, preventing her from attacking Violet. I growled at her and bared my teeth at her. She did too, still to angry to realize just exactly what was going on. She gained some sense soon, but she was still mad at Violet and I could here her thoughts as she wanted to literally hurt her. I growled loudly and she averted her gaze and attention back to me.

-’You won’t hurt her!’ I growled in my head as I bared my teeth some more. She looked like she was ready to lunge at me. ’She didn’t do anything to you Leah!’ I told her.

-’She keeps meddling in my business!’ We fought a little she kept trying to bite into me, but I’d get away. It wasn’t anything too serious, she was just trying to tire me out so she could get to Violet and that got me angrier.

-’She was trying to be nice. She just wants to be your friend. Stop playing the victim roll here Leah!’ I shouted at her as I was able to pin her under me somewhat. She growled and pushed me off after a while and ran into the woods.

-‘We’ll take it from her man.’

-’Come on before we loose Leah!’ I turned and saw Quil and Seth run into the woods too, chasing after Leah. I could here Kim run to Violet asking many questions towards her safety. I looked at her and her eyes were wide open, I think she was scared. My ears plopped against my head as my tail was stiff, I was sad that she was so scared. I should have told her when I had the chance. I was planning on telling her tomorrow at the bonfire after the legends, but I never imagined she would find out because someone from the same pack as me would try to hurt her. I looked at Violet and saw that she looked shocked now, and then worried. The other guys sighed as they stared at the ripped clothes and headed into the forest too.

-”Jake!? Jake!” she shouted looking around for me. I lowered my head slightly to look at her eyes directly. She was even more shocked. “Jacob?” she asked in a hushed whisper. It hurt me for her to see me like this. I think she was scared of me. It hurt me to even think that I frightened her. I couldn’t take her penetrating look so I just dashed into the forest to find the others. I let out a loud, pained howl. I sat there just in a pile of depression for some time. ‘She’ll probably leave me, now.’ I thought feeling like I could fall apart at any moment.

-’Jake, relax. She won’t leave you. She loves you and you can explain everything to her.’ I heard Embry’s thoughts.

-’But you should have seen how scared she was!’ I whined as I buried my muzzle under my paws.

-’Jake, stop pitting yourself!’ I heard Quil. ‘She looked more shocked than scared to me. Besides I think she got scared when she didn’t see you. You should have stayed there and explain everything to her.’ I lifted my head.

-’How was I suppose to do that?! I didn’t bring extra close with me! And I’m pretty sure saying oh now you know I’m a werewolf, wont work out not to mention me being naked!’ I shouted at them. ‘I had to jump at Leah so I just burst into wolf form to stop her, so my clothes were blown to shreds.’ I told them. ‘Speaking of which, where is Leah?’ I asked growling.

-’Jake, she really is sorry now. Sam talked to her and she has to apologize to her, to the both of you. Please don’t make it harder for her. Sam really laid it out on her.’ I heard Seth interrupt us sadly. I could tell he really cared for his sister and was only looking out for her, but I was looking out for my girlfriend. ‘I know that Jake, it’s just…can you blame her? It was all a touchy subject for her. She now gets that Vie means well.’ I thought about what he said and just sighed. ‘Thanks.’

-’Whatever.’ I mumbled in my head. ‘So…where is she?’ I asked as my last image of Violet popped up in my head.

-’At your place. Don’t worry. Emily’s calmed her out. She seems pretty chill about all this for some reason. She took it better than the others. She just keeps asking for you. Jared and Kim are also with her, but your dad was at Sue’s. We brought you some extra clothes so we’ll wait outside the house near the woods.’ I heard Embry say. I nodded and lazily picked myself up and head towards Sam’s.

I got near the home and could see Violet on the chair around the kitchen table. Emily kept asking her if she wanted something. She looked like she was in deep thought. What I wouldn’t give to be able to read her mind.

-’So you want to be like the mind reading leech?’ I heard Paul ask. I growled. I was not in the mood for this. I saw him come up behind me. ‘Just joking, but seriously. Hurry up and talk to her before she gets mad instead.’ I ignored him and Embry and Seth pop out of the trees and towards us. There were clothes hanging from Em’s mouth and he dropped them onto the forest floor. I picked them up and went to change back. I sighed and I felt Embry pat my back reassuringly.

-”Um...Jake? She’s seen you.’ I looked to the side and there stood Quil too. I looked to where he was pointing and could see Violet getting up slowly as she stared at me. Waiting. I sighed once more and walked to the door. Sam opened it and gave me an apologetic look. I heard him mumble ‘sorry’ and ‘good luck’, low enough for only our werewolf hearing to catch up on. I nodded and looked at Emily who guided Violet to her room. I waited a little and Kim walked out of the living room and to the backyard with Jared following. Leah was on the couch and she stood up.

-”Jacob! I’m...”

-”Not now…” I warned. She turned her head to the side and walked out to the others. I saw Emily come downstairs and smile at me.

-”I thought you two could use some privacy for this. We’ll all be at your dad’s.” She gave me a quick tender hug and walked out. I sighed one more time taking a deep breathe.

*Violet’s POV*

Everyone was making a fuss over this. I wasn’t in a great state of mind to really pay attention to any of their questions. I was completely gloomy, not because of Jake being a shape shifter. No, I always knew the truth behind that secret. It was the fact that I think I disappointed him. I should have listened to him. This is kind of like what happened with Edward and me. This difference is that I would be leaving behind more than a new family. Jacob had a piece of my heart, if not the whole thing. I figured he’d want to end things with me for being so damn disobedient.

The others continued to apologize to me on Leah’s behalf. That is, until Sam came in. Everyone grew quiet and I saw Leah step in through the door. I abruptly stood up, and everyone immediately thought I was scared. I wasn’t I just wanted to say something. Sam nudged her and she walked in front of me.

-”I’m sorry!” We said in unison. We gave each other surprised looks.

-”I should have never bothered you Leah.” I said looking to the side quickly. I saw her head turn towards Sam. I looked up discreetly towards him and saw him give Leah a look. I heard her sigh.

-”No…you were trying to be friendly and I…I took things too far…but…your not afraid?” she asked confused.

-”N..no…I’m..well not of you. I don’t care what any of you are…I just…I think I might have made Jacob mad. He told me to just drop it, but…” I heard her sigh and I looked up to see her shaking her head.

-”Damn imprinting man.” there it goes again. That word. What does it mean? Imprinting…. “He’s not mad at you alright…it was my fault…he cares about you.” she said.

-”Then why did he just leave me there at the beach?!” I asked as a few tears ran down my cheeks. “He looked so sad…like if I did something wrong. I should have listened. No...I should have never come here in the first place…I’m soo sorry. I messed everything up by coming here.” I told, mainly everyone within hearing range.

-”Don’t say that! Jake loves you and he’d be disappointed to here you say that!” I looked up and saw Emily come hug me.

-”Yea…we’re all glad you came into our lives…besides...you were bound to find out some way.” said Kim joining our hug. I saw Jared and Sam smile and nod their heads. Leah was looking uncomfortable.

-”Come on…let’s try to calm those nerves of yours…some tea ought to help.” said Emily bringing me into the kitchen.

-”B...but Jake?” I stuttered.

-”The guys’ll get ‘em...don’t worry.” I looked and stared at Jared. I just nodded and sat there.

After a while I saw something outside catch my eye. Then I saw Jacob’s tall frame in the woods, just at the edge. Quil was pointing towards the window that I was looking out of. He walked towards the house, as did the others. Emily slowly put a hand on my back and led me up the stairs.

-”You to should talk in private.” I just looked behind me and saw the others slowly leaving the living room as well. I could barely here Leah talking to Jacob as she tried to apologies, but he didn’t let her. I just went towards my bed and sat down, waiting for Jacob to come.