Uncompatible Love

Knock KNock, Who's there?

Ch:22: Knock, Knock. Who’s There? start*

*Violet’s POV*

Jacob and I had managed to clean up most of the mess. Along the way Jacob said Billy called him to help with the preparations for the bonfire. I was both excited and nervous all at once. Jacob had told me that these stories would help me understand the whole “werewolf” thing the right way. Apperently there were still things I had yet to learn. I was currently the only one in the house, so I figured that once I was done I would get ready for the event. I looked over at the clock and it read 6:47 pm. I think I had enough time to get ready, no I do have enough time.

I made my way over to my room and looked through the dresser for a few things I would need. I found the perfect outfit and I made my way over to the closet and searched for some foot wear. I sttled on a pair of dark blue flip flops that had a yellow trim to them, they were perfect for the occasion. They matched my outfit and were right for the sand. I decided that for once there was a somewhat warm breeze I would pick up my hair. I placed my hair in a high ponytail with a pretty burette with a Daisy adorning the top, so it looked like there was just a flower near my left year holding back that side of my bangs. A plain bobby pin held the other side(member she has bangs that go across her forehead). I didn’t apply on any make-up and instead just got out a cherry flavored lip balm.

I looked outside and it was just getting dark out; the sun was just beginning to set. I went over to the oven and pulled out a delicious coconut cakes I had backed earlier. I quickly went to work as I applied on the frosting to the cake. The boys hadn’t tasted my cake besides Embry and maybe Seth and Leah, that is if Sue gave them any. She was the one that asked if I could bake a cake for her and the others. I was pretty sure three cakes would be enough for the whole bunch I just hope I can get them in the car and to the beach without dropping one. Jacob had given me the keys to his RABBIT since he would be running there.

I was almost done applying the final touches to the cake when my cell phone went off. I picked it up and looked at the front of the scream. The number was private. I had kept the same phone that I have had for about a year, but I wasn’t entirely stupid. I knew better than to keep my old number, I had used one that I had back from France, before I had broken my old phone. I was hesitant but answered.

-”H…hello?” I asked, my voice quivering in anticipation.

-”Violette?” now I was panicing.

-”N..n..no…..I’m s..sorry you have t..the wrong n..number” I studered about to hang up. I had no intentions of finding out who was on the other line.

-”It’s okay it’s me Jen.” I stopped myself from pressing the end dial. “Violette…is this you?” I nodded, but then realized she could not see me.

-”Yes…Jen I told you not to call me…Alice…she can see and…” I started, getting nervous.

-”I know…but that’s the thing…she came here…earlier. She was here shopping at my store. She was looking for outfits for Bella and her….well so she says…are you ok?” I sighed.

-”Yea why wouldn’t I be?” I asked.

-”How is…life amongst the wolves?”

-”Complicate.”

-”How so?” I could here the edge to her voice. She sounded skeptical, and almost alarmed.

-”It’s just……I think I…I think I may love one of them.”

-”Oh la la! fatherare-vous sûr? Comment cela peut-être? Es-tu fou? Est-ce une autre de vos projets? Violet être rationnel! Peut-être votre peine, tout .... “ I cut her off. (oh my! Are you sure? How can that be? Are you crazy? Is this another one of your schemes? Violet be rational! Maybe your just, just…)

-”Jen! Calm down!*sigh* I’m sure I love him…it’s…I can’t explain it fro some reason. I’m…drawn to him. I just can’t explain it….I do know that I love him though.” I told her.

-”But you’re part vampire and he, he is a loup(wolf) mon chere(my dear).” we both sighed at the same time.

-”I know, but….he, he doesn’t know.”

-“Let’s keep it that way shall we? And what of your brother child? Oh goodness Edward! Alice! They’ll all have my head for helping you! Violette ahh!” I could clearly tell she was frustrated as I heard her rantings, all in French. “Cela ne peut pas être bon. Oh oh oh no no no! Nous devons penser à quelque chose! Pense, pense, pense ... “(This can't be good. Oh no oh no oh no! We have to think of something! Think, think , think…) .I laughed as I heard her rantings. What? She was beginning to sound like Winnie the Pooh. I could hear as she quieted down. “And what pray tell is so funny?” she asked now agitated.

-”Relax, I haven’t and my siblings would do no such thing.” I reassured her. “Jenevive….I’m happy here…Jacob may be a wolf, but…okay put it this way do you like being judged over something you have absolutely no control over? I know I don’t. We are what we are and I am a vampire hybrid…he is a werewolf and…I love him.” I said as I smiled, finally admitting my true feelings for him. It had been a good 5 minutes before I heard Jen respond.

-”I suppose you are right when you ay it like that; just be careful little one and..what of your other family?”

-”They still don’t know anything either…I would have preferred it like that, but…there was this…mishap.” I told her rolling my eyes.

-”You know what…just send me a photo of the room so I can get there…I prefer face to face communication if you don’t mind.”

-”We can’t…they’ll be able to smell you around here and I think they’re already alittle edgy around their homes. I can see these large figures outside of the window sometimes and loud howls…they most likely keep a close eye on lovd one, don’t we all though?”

-”*sigh* very well…I’ll leave you then…if ther are no wolves near you then it won’t be long before Alice see’s me in her visions or something..” she said jockingly. We laughed over the phone and then our silence grew weary and quiet. “On second thought why take chances..” I heard her laugh nervously.

-”Good idea and Jen?”

-”Yes?”

-” Thanks for worrying about me. Don’t worry I can take care of myself if the time comes.”

-”Violette! No! Promise me, promise me you won’t stoop down to violence.” I chuckled and she scolded me.

-”I didn’t mean hurt them, I simply meant I could outrun them or move myself elsewhere.” I told her. She made an “Ohhh” sound, she sounded a bit silly and I giggled.

-”Well fine then bye.” I was still giggling as I bid my goodbyes. I smiled and went back to get the cakes. I noticed I was forgetting something, but I didn’t know what it was. Okay clothes? Check. Flip flops? Check. Keys? Hmm… yep… wait… oh yea! I went over to the counter, but they weren’t there. Where could Jacob have put them? I checked on the table in the kitchen and then went to the living room to check the table there. Nope. I placed my finger on my temple and tapped my temple, pondering about where they could be. “If I were keys where would I…oh yea!” I ran upstairs, as well as I could, and into his room. I had only ever been there with Jacob so I felt weird barging in. I instantly spotted what I was looking for on top of his computer desk.

I got the keys and walked to my room. I’d leave my phone under my bed turned off, as a pracaution of course. I wouldn’t want anybody else calling tonight. I left it there thought over wether or not I should bring my bathing suit. It was technicly summer, but then again it wasn’t warm outside. Then it’s also night time, maybe I shouldn’t. I frowned and walked back over to the cakes. I went over to the door and opened it, making my way over to the car. I opened the passenger seat and cleared it up a bit to fit the cakes. I went back to go get them one at a time. I picked up the first one very carefully, then set it down. I decided to put foil over it, to prevent the bugs from getting to it. I finally picked it up and went to the door, taking small easy steps.

-”Oh! Woh! Um…Violet?” I moved the cake away from my face to see who was preventing me from getting to the car. I could see a chest blocking my view and knew it was one of the boys. I looked up to meet their face.

-”Oh hey Embry. What’s up?” I asked.

-”Mind telling me why Bella came over to my house asking for you?” he asked as he stepped aside. I tried my hardest not to drop the cake as Bella stood awkwardly behind Embry. What was she doing here?! Hadn’t I told her I’d call her?! Better yet, why was it that my past was catching up to my present?

-”Um…come in…I guess…” I said moving back over to the side to place the cake back next to the others. Bella stood there awkwardly, I could easily read her face. She looked defeated, almost like she knew she did something she wasn’t suppose to, or screwed something up. I looked over to Embry to try and read his expression. He had this hard look to him, suspicion, maybe? His lips were pressed into a thin line. I sighed trying to come up with something. “So what’s up?”

*Embry’s POV*(I think I’ve got a thing for this one too^_^)

I was over at the beach with the others getting ready for the bonfire. Jacob looked nervous, he was going from one spot to another, making sure everything was in order. Quil laughed at him.

-”Dude! Chill man!” we all laughed.

-”Huh?” he asked looking at Quil who had placed a hand on his shoulder.

-”Relax, your acting worse then the girls. She knows the truth mna! Calm down!”

-”Yea Jake. No need to get so worked up.” I told him.

-”I haven’t told her the details…and…imprinting.” we heard him even if the last part wasn’t really meant for us to hear.

-”So she’ll find out now…relax she seems okay with it all. Besides after seeing the little episode you two had this morning, it looks like she’s completely okay with this.” I told him remembering how Jake pictured him and Vie this morning and at breakfast. He smiled, most likely also having his own flashback. He shook his head, almost like if he was coming out of his own world.

-”Yea maybe your…hey Embry?”

-”Yea?” I asked.

-”Where are the sodas?” I sighed, he was still working to hard to get this right.

-”Over by the..oh shit!” he groaned and so did the oters. “What?! I came in wolf form! Give me a break!” I shouted as I began to run back home as fast as I could in human form, through the woods. I got there fast and went through my window. “Mom?!” I called out. Great she was out. I went over to the fridge and there the sodas where. I got them out and then went for the cooler to put ice in it. After I did I put the sodas in. It was a good thing I had super strength cause this thing was light! I went over to get my set of keys to lock up, but I put the coler down when I heard a car pull up. I looked outside the window and saw a red beat up truck. That was Jake’s old truck, but wait didn’t he give It to Bella? I saw the pale brunnette come to the door, but I opened it before she could knock.

-”Um..hey Embry…is Violette…er Violet here(both names sound different so yea…)?” I looked at her confused. I thought Jake hadn’t told her who Violet was.

-”Um…why would I know?” I asked her confused. I saw her look away, blushing, as she shrugged her shoulders and mumbled.

-”I don’t know. She’s your girlfriend or imprint right?” she asked clearly not okay with this conversation.

-”What?! Uh…no, no, no, no Bella. You got it all wrong. Uh me and…Violet and I…hang on let’s go over to Jake’s.” I told her picking up the cooler and putting it in the back of her truck after locking the door.

-”Jakes? Why?” she asked.

-”Look*sigh*” why do I have to be the one to put up with this?!?! She reeks of leach!! “Ok…let’s just go over there kay? Why did you think me and her were together any ways?” I asked her as she started her car.

-”I…at the store…I saw you and…well…”

-”I knew I caught your scent….hm…well how do you know her?” I asked raising an eyebrow. Something wasn’t right here. I didn’t get any of this, maybe it was a coinsidence or something, but then again. If that was the case why would Bella call her by another name, and I thought “Violet” had run off here to get away from her family. If she really wanted to do that why would she go where people knew her from before.

-”I..I um…she’s uh…family….” I raised an eyebrow. I could tell from her babbles that she was afraid to what to say.

-“Family?” I asked disbelieving. She nodded. It looked like she was nervous, so nervous I could have betted on her throwing up any moment from the nerves.

-”Family…f..friend….friend of the family’s” she stuttered out. I just dropped it and figured it best to ask Violet. I told her what turns to take and where to go, after I pointed to the old red house she was staying in. “There?” she asked. I nodded like in a uh yeah type of way. “I thought Jacob lived there.” she said.

-”He does.” I stated simply.

-”Then why is she…” she trailed off and I got out of the car and slammed the dorr shut going over to the front door. Bella basicly had to run to catch up to me from the long strides I took. I could here someone shuffling around the house and then as I was about to knock on the door I heard the steps approach the door and swing open. My face was hit with a strong scent, sweet. Not vampire sweet, like vanilla, or coconut. I saw this large white cake up near my chest, preventing me from seeing Violet’s face.

-”Oh! Woh!….Violet?” She moved the cake a little down and then crained her neck to look up at me.

-”Oh hey Embry what’s up?” she asked, sounding happy and excited for some reason.

-”Mind telling me why Bella came over to my house asking for you?” I asked her moving aside from being Bella’s shield. I saw her eyes widening just in the slightest and I had a feeling something was up. My facial expression hardened and I kept on a poker face.

-”Come on in I guess…” she said stepping aside and put the cake away. I walked in and Bella followed. “So what’s up?” she asked as she sat on the chair.

-”I don’t know you tell me.” I told her.

-”Well what do you want to know?” she asked.

-”Why the hell was she over at my place. You know I find it kind of funny how you say you came here to escape family and Bella comes and says she’s a ‘family friend‘?” I say putting air quotes around family friend.

-”I…I got here cause I used to talk to Bella when I was younger…her mom is my…mom’s friend. So yea get it now?” I kept my poker face. None of that helped clarify what was going on. She sighed.

-”Then how did you know where to find her huh? She’s here with her dad.” I told her.

*Violet’s POV*

All these questions kept being thrown at me and Bella stood there like as if she wanted to disappear. I wish I could just poof us both out of here. Who knew Embry could be so…so…I don’t know! Right now he’s not exactly so sweet and as he usually is. He reminds me of a detective, and if I wasn’t careful I would be found guilty of my crimes and discovered. I was litteraly pulling these lies out of thin air! I had to be quick on my feet, so to speak. I was having trouble thinking of an answer but thankfully Bella stepped in.

-”She knew that…I told her where I went, but her mom didn’t know. She called me when I was here with Jacob. I told her I was in La Push.” I could roll with that.

-”Yea…which is why I was looking for La Push…I…I met her at the store, but…I didn’t want to leave this place.” okay not a complete lie I suppose. Embry was quiet for a long time until he sighed and began to rub his face with his large hand.

-”Okay whatever…let’s go Violet, you too Bella. I need to talk to Jake and I think Sam wants to speak to you Bella.” we both nodded. “Let’s go…do you need help with the cakes?” he asked. I smiled softly nodding. The three of us went over to the baked pastries and each picked one up.

-”Um Bella…how bout you sit this one out hon…you can be very clumsy at times you know.” I reminded her. She pouted but nodded nonetheless. Embry and I brought over the cakes, he brought over two, one in each hand.

-”Um Bella….since I got the cooler in the back is it alright if I take the truck and you ride with Violet?” she nodded and she came over to the car and hopped in the back seat since the cakes were up front. I took my time doing everything, pretending to take precautions such as adjusting the mirrors, checking the seat belts, monitors, everything I could. Once I saw Embry drive off I started the car and looked at Bella. “Are you crazy?!” I asked her harshly. She looked down, ashamed, maybe? I sighed feeling bad. “Look Bella. I really like it here and Embry isn’t my boyfriend….it’s Jacob, Bella.” I told her her eyes widened.

-”J..Jacob?” she studdred out. I nodded.

-”I really like him and tonight he was gonna do something for me so yea….Bella I gave you my word that I would tell Edward, just……give me time okay?” I think something clicked in her head cause she got alert again and almost mad.

-”That’s why I came. Your coming on my graduation party…it’s in a week from now.” She told me, no she didn’t tell me, she was ordering me. I glared slightly through the rear view mirror.

-”Be reasonable Bella. I need time to prepare and…”

-”Prepare for what?!” she shouted histericly. “Edward’s been a depressive mess, and I know he’s putting up a front for me! It’s…..heart wrenching, Violette.” I sighed.

-”First off Bella, it’s Violet now……second…I just can’t. I feel like a traitor, or a dissappointment now. Where as here, here I feel…I don’t know. I no longer have this weird longing feeling it’s like the missing piece to my life was filled up. Would you like it if Tanya came and took your missing piece away?” she shook her head no. “ Then please? Don’t take mine….”

-”It’s not the same! Just try please……at least let him know your alive!”

-”He knows Im alive Bella.”

-”Let him know you forgive him…”

-”I think I need to forgive myself before anyone else. I just….”

-”Please!” she shouted cutting me off. “Just give it a try! At the party he…he won’t make a scene!” she shouted. Her eyes were gathering tears and I knew the boys would notice so I had no other choice.

-”Fine.” I whispered. “Just….never mind.” ‘There goes my happiness.’ I thought bitterly. She hugged me from her seat, she wrapped her arms around me and the seat, immobilizing my arms. I barly missed a passing car. “Bella!” I shouted as she let go.

-”Sorry…” she whispered blushing. I chuckled pulling up. The guys were already gathered around the parking lot Embry’s back facing us. They all had their arms crossed, except Jacob. He looked confused and averted his gaze from his talking companion to the car. I sighed and stepped out. Bella got out and they all got quiet and looked at her with monotone expressions. Jacob looked somewhat torn. Did he maybe still have feelings for Bella? My expression slowly fell as I looked from him to Bella. I nudged her and she looked up.

-”I brought cake!” I called out hoping to ease up some of the tension. It worked. Paul, which was the one I was worried about, came over to help get them out. Jared was next and then Quil. Embry walked over to a table hoisting the cooler, while Sam and Jacob walked over to us.

-”Bella.” Sam greeted her with a nod. Bella shkingly nodded her head, it was kind of funny actually. Jacob stood quiet and stared at Bella. I looked away, but I think Sam saw my crestfallen expression. “Hey there Violet, thanks for the cake. I’m glad you made more. I didn’t move my head, just moved my eyes to look at him and smiled slightly, while mumbling my thanks. “Well come on…you’re here and Billy’s getting restless.” stated Sam I nodded and headed over to the others. Jacob walked in between me and Bella and for once even though his arm brushed against mine, I still felt cold.