Uncompatible Love

Imprint

Ch. 24: Imprint*start*

*Jacob’s POV*

I had finally gotten back to the campfire site after dropping Bella off. I stayed a little ways behind, shrouded by the trees and shifted back into my human form and put on my shorts that were tied to my leg. I walked out into the open and looked around for Violet. I checked next to the girls, where the food was and near the fire. I was about to go ask Leah, since I last saw her with her, when Emily called out to me.

-”Bella ok, Jacob?” I nodded.

-”Her leech came to pick her up.” I told her and she nodded. I noticed all the guys tensed when I said leach but they got over it. I knew that they didn’t like it when one of us was alone with one of them. I saw Leah talking to Seth and went up to them.

-”Jake!” shouted Seth, he looked kind of jumpy. Leah turned around, since her back was towards me. Her eyes widened quickly for some reason.

-”Hey….um Leah have you seen Violet?” I asked her.

-”She..she w..went for a w..walk a while a..ago.” she stuttered out.

-”What?!” I shouted. The others looked at us. “What do you mean?! Alone?!” I asked/shouted at her.

-”I…she looked kind of d..down so y..yea….she was just walking along the s..shore…” she stuttered out.

-”Leah! What if she went into the forest or something huh?!” I shouted and ran off along the shore to see if I could find her. It was hard since she had been walking along the shore, which meant the water washed away her tracks.

I saw something up ahead and went to it, I leaned to the ground and saw that it was her sandals. I looked around and kept walking to see if I could find her. I soon noticed that some of her tracks were visible. I followed them and panicked when I noticed them going into the forest. I was quick to run in amongst the trees and begin looking for her. I called out her name a few times, but got no reply. I was panicking more and more as the seconds ticked by. I had half a mind to go back and tell the others to help me find her.

I was about to turn back around when a scent caught my attention. It was strange for some reason, yet I recognized it. It was sweet and calming at the same time, it was Violet’s scent. For some reason though, whatever it may be, it was a bit more potent, stronger, actually spicier even. I followed it and I began to question myself how she was able to get so far in such little time. I mean I couldn’t have been gone for more than twenty minutes tops, and that was exaggerating. I could now see small amounts of shrubs crushed and stomped on. I saw a few foot prints in the dirt and figured they were hers, since she wasn’t wearing her flip flops.

I was suddenly distracted by running water, the river. On some of our patrols, me and the guys would come by it. It was a pretty big river, enough for us to cool off in when we were tired. I ran as fast as I could past it, but noticed the scent disappeared when I did. I retraced my steps and noticed the scent wasn’t as strong. Maybe she headed back or something? No, I had found where the scent was coming from. I ran towards the river. Right at the top, I could make out the same golden hair of my imprint, I was sure of it. Dread filled my body, as I thought the worst and dove into the water.

*Violet’s POV*

I had been walking fro a bit and was far enough to not be heard and just burly seen. I felt a light breeze picked up and I enjoyed the feeling. I would love the feeling of the wind blowing my fair back. I could easily remember the feeling my pony tail usually rushing behind me as I would run through the lands. I smiled and took of my sandals placing them on the sand. I wiggled my toes feeling the sand and I extended my arms twirling around feeling the breeze. I turned around and looked from the forest to the camp site. One quick run wouldn’t hurt would it? I had practiced once to see just how long I could last as both human and vampire at the same time. My limit was ten minutes without feeling dizzy and faint. I could take a quick run right? I smiled and walked into the forest.

I smiled widely to myself as I inhaled the pine scent. I was so used to smelling it off of Jacob that I could remember it so clearly, although Jacob made it his cent in his own unique way. You can never mistake the original thing . I focused myself and then just let loose, not concentrating on being just one thing. I could feel a small but effective rush of heat. I closed my eyes and opened them. My vision improved dramatically as did my hearing. Not as much as it would have as a vampire, but close enough. I looked at my skin and it was a blend of my human pasty skin and my pale rock hard vampire skin. I smiled and let out a laugh and began to run.

I was running freely as I let the wind blow back my dress and hair. I was laughing the whole time to myself happy that I had a chance to do this. I inhaled and the scents came flooding in. I tried to identify as many as I could. Water, salt, pine, soil, birds, bears, dear, an abundance of wildlife. I probably was as fast as Edward in this form, but I was okay with it. Not yet a monster, but not exactly helpless. I wondered if I was strong still and decided to not push my luck. I was pretty sure the wolves would detect the small difference in my scent, not to mention the debris I would leave behind if I tried out my hybrid strength. I breathed in and focused on my siblings. I instantly had a vision of Edward watching over a sleeping Bella. The next one was of Alice and Jasper on the Eastern side of the forest, hunting. They would get lucky and find a few large bucks to quench their thirst. Esme and Carlisle would just be enjoying the television, along with Rosalie and Emmett. The visions started to blur and I figured it was because my energy was draining.

I breathed in and out hoping to relax my body. It worked, but I caught the scent of a wounded animal. Fresh blood. Normally I probably would have gone after it, but I could easily control the scent, I pinned it on the fact that my human self was learning to deal with my vampire self. I began to wonder if, just maybe, if practiced doing this at least every now and then, I could learn to expand the time frame that I was able to pull this off. I had been thinking about this and decided to head back, I was quick to jump over the river and gracefully land in a crouched position. I laid low, however.

I could hear the rapid pace of someone. They were fast who ever they where and they where close. That was the one thing I hated. My hearing and sight wasn’t as good as when I was vampire. They were coming quickly, at a threatening fast pace. They would be here any second. I focused on trying to hear the stranger’s thoughts. ‘Where is she?! Damn it! She better be okay, or Leah is sooo …’ I yelped and covered my mouth. Jacob! It was Jake! I had to think quick in just mere seconds he would most likely be here, or at least see me. It was obvious that he had caught a hold of my scent and tracked me down over here. I looked around trying to find a place to hide, anywhere. I sighed as I stared at my only option. This was a really pretty dress that I had bought with Emily and Kim. I quickly stepped into the water, careful not to make a splash.

I felt the water up to my waist, and that’s where it began to get a bit cold. I plunged my head into the water just as Jacob got there. I held my breath as long as I could, hoping to not only wait out Jacob, but get rid of the scent and get it out of my clothes. I waited and looked up hoping to see where he was. I thought I saw him get close to the water and I swam deeper into the darkness. I stayed until I saw him leave. I was about to swim back up, but just then I realized just how tired I really was. My muscles began to feel sore and my lungs felt like they were on fire, as did the rest of my body.

I swam up and gasped for breathe hoping that, that would be enough to get my body back on track. I was wrong, I began to feel my body get lazy and limp, while my vision began to blur and my head ached. I had surpassed my limit and was beginning to feel the strain. I think I had been like this for about fifteen minutes. I wanted to smile, feeling like I had accomplished something, but I closed my eyes feeling like I would black out soon. I felt the cold, refreshing water hit my face as my head stayed afloat on the surface while my body slowly sunk. My head facing the water as I began to slowly loose focus and stayed there. I think I was drowning, but my body wouldn’t listen to me, not even my instincts for survival were enough to trigger some kind of movement.

I was about to gasp for air when my oxygen supply ran out, when I felt and heard a loud splash. Next thing I felt was warmth, but not everywhere. No something warm wrapped around my upper body and brought me to the surface where I could breathe. I let a small amount of oxygen replenish my lungs and I felt slightly better, but still light headed. Like how you feel after you don’t eat in a long time. That was as best as I could describe it. I couldn’t even see still. It was all blurry and at the moment only two things ran through my head. One, I was above water again, that much I could tell. Two, Something or someone had to have saved me because I sure as hell didn’t do it. I felt the same warmth, but this time only on my cheeks. Something was cupping my face. I was laid down on the ground and smiled when I saw who it was. I had almost forgotten the reason I had jumped in the first place. My mind felt all stupid and oxygen deprived.

-”Hey Jake, when did you get back?” I asked stupidly. He looked shocked, then dumbfounded. Finally his beautiful face masked anger and furry. He was probably mad that I had almost drowned and was still acting like nothing went on.

-”Oh just now actually. Before I had to save you from drowning!” he was irritated. I smiled sheepishly. He picked me up gingerly and held me carefully. “What were you thinking?” he asked me in a hushed whisper. I felt more water hit my face. Tears. I could feel them, they were warm. I could hear him sniff a bit and then he composed himself.

-”I’m sorry Jake…I just went for a walk, I needed to cool off I guess.” I said lamely. Ironic, I know.

-”Cool off? Cool Off?!” he asked. I just nodded my head. “You could have died!” he shouted angry, scared and relieved. “I can’t loose you. I can‘t loose my imprint.” he whispered, grasping onto me and nuzzling his face into my wet hair. I giggled.

-”Jake..” I whined. “That tickles, and your hairs wet.” I complained.

-”I don’t care.” he said, I could almost hear him pout. I pulled away and looked at him smiling. He had on a pout, trying to hide the smile on his face. We both laughed. “You’ll get sick, come on.” he said as we helped pick me up. He picked me up bridal style and I shrieked.

-”What are you doing?!” I asked shrieking in surprise and giggling right after.

-”You’ll get sick with the breeze and wet clothes so I’m keeping you close to me to keep you warm duh.” he said.

-”But your wet too.” I told him ruffling his wet shaggy hair.

-”Yea but do I fell cold to you? No, so this is the best option we got cause I’m not letting you take off the clothes to dry off. There’s no way I’ll get that out of my mind and the guys will see.” he told me. I chuckled. We walked for a little bit and I snuggled into him trying to get comfortable. “Violet?” he asked I lifted my head from his chest and looked at him. “How…how did you get all the way over here in such a short time?” he asked.

-”Mm mm ugh.” I murmured in an ‘I don’t know’ tone. “I…I ran. I was…jealous.” I whispered. He stopped the second those words escaped my lips. “I…um…I’m sorry. I should have stayed close.

-”Yeah,” he extended the word, “you should have.” I looked towards the ground. “But….but why were you…jealous?” he hesitantly asked. I looked at him shocked. Was he serious? I pushed on his chest a bit and got on my own two feet. My dress clung to my body and I was very cold but I didn’t care. I was pretty mad.

-”Are you kidding me?!” I placed my hands on my hips as I cooked them to the side. “You practically ditched me all night for her, Jake.” I turned around, being stubborn. “Ooohhh! I’m so mad! I think I’ll head back to that stupid river to cool off!” I half joked, I was still mad, but found it kind of funny. I was trying my hardest to keep up with all the damn lies. I began to walk around him when he grabbed my upper arm.

-”Don’t-don’t do that.” he told me , stopping me. I had yet to face him. “I’m…I’m sorry, okay.” He said getting closer. I could almost feel the usual heat that emitted from him. “I wanted to spend time with you, but…”

-”But what?” I mumbled. He sighed.

-”What would you do? She’s my friend.” he said, emphasis on ‘friend’. I didn’t budge and I could almost feel his chest up against my back as he walked closer. “She was alone and I…I didn’t want her to feel lonely, like a three wheel you know?” I just made a ‘humph’ sound and stuck make face in the air. “I’m serious! The guys, they aren’t to happy with her being around.”

-”Yea, well you never know. You can always go back to liking her.” I told him. I felt sad all of a sudden as the truth to my behavior earlier came out. Jealousy, anger, frustration, sorrow, such petty emotions. I wrapped my arms around myself trying to both keep myself together and keep warm. Jake saw this and wrapped his arms around my me from behind.

-”That will never, ever, happen. You’re my imprint…don’t you get it?” I stood in place. I was not to sure what imprint really was. From what I got out of the legends and stories, I thought it was about just finding someone to be with, making each other happy. A couple, or something. “Please say something.”

-”What do you want me say… I don’t…I don’t even think we’re meant to be together. We’re just….incompatible…”

-”What…you have no idea what imprinting really is do you?” he asked. I stayed quiet. “Us Uncompatible or whatever?” he asked.

-”It’s incompatible.” I told him.

-”Uncompatible, incompatible, whatever! Point being…we’re meant just for each other.” again, I welcomed an opportunity of silence. “We’re perfect for each other cause…cause you’re my imprint…and no one else’s.” he said snuggling his head into my neck. The cold droplets from his hair running down my chest. I shivered, not sure I f it was from his murmuring ’I love you’ into my neck, or the cold drops of water.

-”Jacob? Who’s to say someone else won’t want me…or want you?” I asked.

-”It won’t matter…you’re my imprint.”

-”You keep saying that!” I said pulling away, frustrated. “What is an imprint?!” I asked him. He looked shocked and then smiled.

-”Ever seen the way Sam looks at Emily?” he asked.

-”What does that have to do with anything?”

-”Just-just answer the question.” he told me. I thought about it. The adoration in Sam’s eyes, the love the two shared.

-”Yes.” I whispered.

-”How bout the way Jared feels around Kim?”

-”Jake I really don’t see how…”

-”Violet…just, come on.” I sighed.

-”Yes, yes I do.”

-”That’s the way it is for us. Emily is Sam’s imprint, Kim’s Jared’s. They’re meant for each other.” I turned to look at him. “Imprinting is….it’s hard to explain.” it sounded like if he was apologizing.

-”Try.” I begged him. He nodded and got right in front of me. He pecked my lips and let his hand rest on my cheek, while the other wrapped around my waist bringing me closer to him.

-”Imprinting*sigh* I’m not too good at this so bear with me.” I nodded. “Those fairy tales and movies, the whole love at first sight and all? That’s what it is I guess.”

-”That’s it? What’s so complicated about that?”

-”It’s really complicated. Imprinting is like love at first sight, yea, but more. Who ever we imprint on, they become our world. You’re my world.” he caressed my cheek with his thumb. I closed my eyes enjoying the feeling of his warm sensitive touch. “It’s like, like gravity literally moves. When we see our imprint for the first time, when I saw you for the first time! God! It was like nothing mattered anymore. Just you. I’d be anything, anything at all for you. If you needed protection, I’d be right there protecting you, being your protector. I’d be absolutely anything and everything you wanted.“

-“Whether it’d be a brother, friend….or something more.” he whispered, his lips now hovering dangerously close next to mine. I could feel every movement they made when he spoke. He chuckled. “In the end…we’re meant for one another, made for each other, destined to be together. Even if we’re involved romantically or not, I would still want to be near you. It hurts when I’m not.” he spoke with such emotion. I didn’t know what imprinting was, but it seems to me like he was lying about not being able to describe it. I felt the tears slide down my cheeks.

-”Liar…” I whispered. He looked shocked and pulled away slightly.

-”I swear to you! I’m not lying…”

-”Not that……seems like you did a pretty good job at telling me what imprinting is.” I told him, he smiled softly at me.

-”All of it…it’s all the truth, Violet. I’d never hurt you……ever” Inside I felt like everything was lit. There was not one corner within me that was not illuminated with happiness. I jumped on top of him kissing him fiercely. He was quick to kiss back. I felt him nibbling my lip and let him in. We made out for a while, the both of us letting emotions take over. I pulled back though, still slightly dizzy from the ‘cool off’ and what not.

-”So, please, please never ever say that we’re uncompatible.”

-”Incompatible!” I corrected him giggling. He chuckled.

-”Whatever!” He shouted. The both of us laughed. I felt invincible right now, like nothing could break us up. He had just said that nothing would practically. Besides, one of his exact words were that he’d never hurt me, right? I’d tell him. I felt like I was on cloud nine and nothing, absolutely nothing, could tear us apart. Like he said in the end we’d be meant for each other. I smiled contently.

-”Jacob, there’s something I have to say to.”

-”What is it?”

-”I…..um...I…I…ACHU!” I sneezed loudly. He got closer to me.

-”Come on you can tell me later. Your getting sick.” he said leaning his forehead against mine.

-”No, it’s now or I won’t get a moment like this.” He nodded. “Jake, I’m a…”

-”Jake? Did you find, oh hey Violet.” We both turned over to Leah who was just stepping out of a few trees.

-”Oh hey Leah, what are you ACHU!” I began to have a sneezing fit.

-”I think I should get you back before you catch Pneumonia out here.” said Jake carrying me up.

-”But, I…”

-”Why are you guys wet?” I sighed.

-”Don’t ask.” I told Leah, just giving up. Maybe this was a sign that I was suppose to wait. Either that or Karma is having a fun time getting me back for leaving my family. I sighed and Jacob laughed. ”Yea, laugh it up mister. I bet your just enjoying the fact that you get to carry me back huh?” he nodded.

-”Um…what …happened?”

-”You’ll find out tonight anyways.” I didn’t know what Jake meant by that, and then it clicked.

-”You have patrol today?” I asked, well whined actually.

-”Yea, sorry. It’s only for a little bit. Go home, eat, take a shower and I’ll be there in no time.” He reassured me smiling.

“Ok…” I said snuggling into Jake. I saw Leah sigh and shake her head, muttering something along the lines of ‘not another one.’ I guess I was going to find out how Kim and Emily really feel when their with their wolves. I had mine here and I wasn’t going to let anything get in the way of me and him. Nothing.