Status: HAPPY BIRTHDAY KARA! <3 oneshot.

Baby, You're the Best of the Best

some hearts just get lucky sometimes

We weren't supposed to fall in love. The number one rule of a one night stand had been shattered a year later when Patrick Kane proposed to me. We weren't supposed to actually go through with it. We weren't supposed to express the depths of our love so openly and then have two beautiful baby boys along with two more on the way; but we did.

"Baby boy," my husband of five years muttered, scooping up the little boy who wore an adorable little smile, identical to the man holding him. "We've been over this, Chase. You can not call people on mommy's cell phone, especially not 911." Patrick sighed. The police had just left the Kane house a few minutes ago after making sure their assistance really wasn't needed. The embarrassing part? It was the same two cops Patrick told the prank calling wouldn't happen again to.

"Why? Dad, I just wanna talk." The adorable little mop headed boy mumbled. His blue eyes, identical to his father's, shone with a sparkly mischief just like Patrick's did when he was trying to charm my pants off.

"Because they have to be available for people who need them. You don't, bud." Patrick tried to explain as he padded into the living room from the entry way where Chase had rushed to greet the men in uniform. "Mommy? Some help?" Patrick pleaded with me.

"Honey," I murmured to my son as he looked up at me with innocent eyes. "You can't take mommy's phone without asking." I gave him a stern look as he heaved a deep, childlike sigh, his slender shoulders rising and falling together.

"'Kay mom." Chase mumbled before looking down at my massive stomach. "Hi babies." He cooed to his two sisters who had yet to greet the world. "I feel you!" He exclaimed as a few kicks were felt against the walls of my stomach and the palms of his hands.

"The babies are kicking?" Patrick asked as he walked back in with a glass of water for me. I smiled my appreciation before he leaned down to kiss my lips tenderly. He shifted down to sit behind me on the couch and I slumped against his chest, sighing quietly as he placed his large hands on my belly. "Oh hi." The twins' dad murmured to his babies. "How are daddy's little angles?" He wondered, dipping to place a kiss against the top of my head. "But most importantly, how's mom?"

"Tired, and thankful that Ben is sleeping and not hanging on me." I told him speaking of our two year old, a yawn tugging my mouth open. Patrick's hands moved from my belly to my shoulders, his thumbs gently digging in to my tight muscles. I melted into his touch, a low moan rumbling in my chest as Chase crawled up my body, snuggling against my chest like he used to when he was a baby.

The five of us all snuggled with one another as Patrick flipped on Cars, one of Chase's favorite movies to watch. The four year old stuck his thumb in his mouth, sucking lightly as his eyes began to close. Patrick and I stayed silent, his fingers still working my shoulders while I tried to fight the drowsiness that Chase was also feeling. In the silence, Patrick and I heard the sound of tiny feet hitting the plush carpet of a certain little boy's room. We both smiled slightly as we heard the soft call of "Mommy..." pause "Daddy..."

"I got him, Kara" Patrick assured me when he saw me trying to move with my big belly and our oldest son. He tilted me up slowly and walked to the entry way. A large grin stretched my face as I heard him cheer, "Daddy!" with that sweet innocence of a little child's voice.

"Hey little man, did you have a good nap?" Patrick wondered as he walked back into the living room.

"Yeah." The little boy sighed contently, eyes fluttering as he smushed his face into the crook of his father's neck. "Papa? When are we going to da game?"

"I have to leave in a little bit, but you, Chase, and mommy are going in a couple hours." Patrick informed him as he slid down to the floor beside the couch, Ben still tucked under his chin.

"Speaking of that, don't you need to nap?" I asked him, crooking an eyebrow at him.

"Nah, I'm good today. I'd rather hang out with my babies." He tilted his face up to me, a content smile gracing his beautiful face. My eyes sparkled, thinking back to when Chase was first born and how Patrick had done everything he could to get out of daddy duty.

Chase had been crying for the past hour to no avail, eyes red and squeezed shut, mouth open to let out his screeches and whimpers. Patrick was in the TV room of our new, spacious house on the outskirts of Chicago, where a 60 inch TV loomed in the front, leather chairs and couches stuffed inside. I watched him through the open door, rocking our screaming son as Patrick clicked the volume of the football game up. My eyes narrowed at him and for the first time in awhile, I felt the urge to smack him across his pretty face.

"Patrick," I called to him, trying not to raise my voice too loud to upset Chase anymore than he already was. "Can you please turn that off and help me?"

"I think you've got it covered. Plus, I'm about to leave with Tazer." He mumbled, not even turning to look at me.

I ignored him and moved into the room, grabbing the remote from his hand while balancing Chase against my chest with one arm. I flipped the game off, watching as the screen turned blank before looking at my husband. Patrick stood up a couple moments later, fishing for his keys in the pocket of his jeans, but I stopped him.

"Sit." Patrick looked at me like a deer caught in the head lights, eyes wide and screaming at me before he sat back down. "Sit back." I instructed him as if he was a child, watching him lean back into the plush leather.

"What are you doing?" He asked nervously as our baby continued to cry out.

"You need to learn how to handle him."

"But you can't even calm him down right now. How the hell am I supposed to?" He gulped, licking his lips.

"No swearing. And he might find comfort in your touch." I shrugged as he tugged his shirt off to expose his broad chest, something that would never get old to my eyes.

I carefully placed the fussy baby in Patrick's arms. His paternal instincts took over from there, and he held the baby close, his soft voice cooing down to him. Chase's screams began to filter down before they all together stopped. Chase looked into his father's deep blue eyes, their shades matching perfectly. Patrick's breathing began to even out, his body unwinding almost like he was relaxing into the baby's touch rather than vice versa. I took my place next to my two boys.

"See, all he needed was his dad." I smiled softly at Patrick, ghosting my knuckles over Chase's soft baby skin as his eyes began to grow extremely heavy, even as the baby fought against the feeling.

"And all I've ever needed is you." Patrick smiled before pulling me close.


"Baby?" Patrick patted me gently before his hand slid down to my large stomach, rubbing it softly to awake me. I looked up into his blue eyes and handsome face. He was dressed in a black suit with a white dress shirt and paired off with a plain red tie. "I have to go to the rink. Are you going to be okay?"

"Mhm." I mumbled to him, "But can you help me up?" He chuckled quietly before taking my small hands in his large ones. He hoisted me up easily and then steadied me against his chest when I looked like I was going to teeter over. I tilted my face up, our lips softly pressing together as our girls kicked against Patrick's hands.

"I can't wait to meet them." He whispered to me, eyes closed before he leaned down to place two kisses on my bump, guessing where the babies were. "See you later, beauties." He chuckled at the imprint of a foot against my skin, rubbing it before giving me one last kiss. "Sit in the box today. You aren't allowed to do all of those stairs." He turned to the door, walking to the entry way to kiss the boys goodbye.

"I hate the box! I have to sit alone!"I complained, setting one hand on the curve of my back and the other below my stomach to cup the babies growing inside of me.

"Brianna will be there. You two can complain about being pregnant together." He chuckled before blowing a kiss and walking from the house.
***

"My feet hurt," Brianna Seabrook whined loudly as the puck dropped on the Blues vs Blackhawks game.

"Hey, be fortunate you only have one baby." I told her while helping Chase fish the straw of his juice box into his small mouth.

"Technically, I have four babies." She chuckled pointing to her other three, young boys who were sitting the row below us, excitedly taking in the action on the ice.

"Pretty soon, I'll be joining you in the four children category." I murmured, thinking of the two week home stretch I still had.

"Are you nervous?" Brianna wondered, shifting around to get try and get comfortable with all the extra weight.

"Not really. I'll be alright as long as Pat is there. I've already had two babies, but I know it will be different having to deliver back-to-back babies."I sighed, already feeling exhausted just thinking about it.

"Is Pat excited about having two little girls to tote around?"

"Oh yes. He's already in love with them and he is surprisingly good at picking out pretty dresses."

"That isn't surprising." Brianna snorted, both of us laughing loudly.

"What about Brent? He has three boys and now he's getting a girl." I pointed out, glancing at the ice just in time to see Patrick net the first goal of the game. My four year old flew up and all three of Brianna's boys, cheering with the rest of the United Center. I smiled at all of the small kids, especially the two little boys with Kane on the backs of their jerseys, who were so proud of their father.

"Mom! Did you see!? Did you see dad!?" Chase exclaimed, bouncing up and down next to me as Patrick ran through by the bench, tapping fists with his teammates.

"I did, baby." I assured him, leaning forward to kiss his head as he turned to his little brother, explaining how awesome that goal was. I shook my head before turning back to Brianna, pressing into my stomach to settle down the other two Kane children who were pushing against my skin.

I shifted around against the black leather, trying to ignore the slight discomfort twinging at my lower abdomen. I knew what the pain was and I was sure if i took my mind off of it, the feeling would disappear. Until Patrick decided to get into it with David Perron. My eyes widened and I reached for Chase as he stood up on the seat, bouncing and screaming, "Go dad!" I mentally screamed the opposite, hoping Patrick would skate away from the other forward who dropped his gloves. But my husband had never been able to walk away from a challenge, just like he couldn't walk away from our love.

"Sweet Jesus, Pat!" I cursed softly, cradling Chase to my chest as he squirmed to see his dad punch David in the face, knocking the Blue slightly off balance before he came back with a blow to Patrick's cheek bone. I winced right before my baby thew one more punch, hitting David square in the jaw. But David didn't go down, instead, he wound up and socked Pat in the face. When Perron's fist his Patrick's cheek, my water broke.

"Mom!" Chase exclaimed as the liquid hit the seat. The little boy wrinkled his nose as I looked to Brianna who was immediately gesturing to an usher.

A woman in her late 50's walked down and immediately began flocking over me, probably having a good idea who I was.

"I'm fine." I mumbled, looking down at my ruined jeans and sighing softly while Chase and Ben watched curiously from their seats next to me.

"What do you want to do?" Brianna wondered, placing a hand on my shoulder as I paused to think. I looked down to the ice where Patrick was walking through the tunnel towards the locker room.

"I need to go to the hospital, but I don't want Patrick to stop playing." I sighed, grasping her hand and slowly standing up.

With the help of Brianna and the usher, I made my way to the elevator, the Kane boys obediently holding hands with the Seabrook boys. We reached the ground floor quickly and I hobbled down the hall to the locker room door, knocking softly. The assistant trainer, Jeff, opened the door, a bright smile stretching his face when he saw the group of people in the hallway.

"Kara, he just needs stitches." He chuckled softly, "You didn't have to bring the whole family, plus the Seabrooks for moral support."

"I'm not the one worried about Pat and need to see him. It's the twins." I smiled, patting my stomach. His mouth fell into a large "O" and he let us in, bringing me back to see Patrick who was getting stitches above his right eye. He gave me a dorky grin which I returned with a scowl. His smile dropped when he saw my pants, eyes growing as wide as they could with the stitches being put in his skin.

"Did your-"

"Yep." I sighed, sitting down in a chair across from him. The trainer, Mike, looked to me, smiling uneasily as Patrick tried to squirm away from his hands. "They can wait until you are done." I assured my husband, gesturing for the boys to go back into the locker room to spare them from seeing their father's battle wound. No matter how cool Chase told Ben it was, Ben would freak out if he saw his father in any sort of discomfort.

"Are you sure?" My husband asked skeptically, mouth set in a nervous line.

"I've been through this before, honey. We have time." I reached out for his hand, grasping it tightly in mine as he smiled.

"I'm so excited." He whispered, running one of his hands through his sweaty, matted hair.

"Me too." I breathed out as the first round of contractions began forcing me to close my eyes and lean on Patrick for strength.
***

"These kids need to get out of me." I moaned at four in the morning, beyond exhausted as the contractions tore at my lower abdomen. I groaned in protest as Patrick opened his mouth. "Just shut up. I can't take your encouragement right now. I just want to be miserable."

"Okay." Patrick whispered, eyes wide, besides his right one which hurt too much to widen.

The boys were staying with the Seabrooks tonight, more like this morning, and would be back after the twins officially entered the world. I sucked in a deep breath, squeezing Pat's hand tightly as I tried to control my oxygen intake, but the pain was too much for me.

"Fuck! Is it too late to get drugs?" I whined, thinking back to an hour ago when the nurse asked me and I stupidly said no to the sweet relief.

A few minutes later and a couple more explicatives, my doctor came in and sat down to examine my progress. I wrinkled my nose at Patrick who had to bite back a chuckle as the doctor sighed.

"Kara, you aren't progressing fast enough and the babies were beginning to show signs of distress in the last ultrasound, so I think it would be best to do a Cesarean section." She concluded, looking at me for a reaction. I bit my lip nervously glancing at Patrick who seemed a bit more uneasy than he had a few moments prior.

"Is that the only option?" My husband asked, glancing at the blonde before back at me. He understood my nerves and reservations about going under the knife.

"It's the best as of right now. Kara hasn't dilated any further in an hour and a half. We don't want the labor to stop all together."

I nodded my approval for the surgery even as my nerves shot up and another bought of pain traveled from my lower stomach to my brain. Not even fifteen minutes later, I was wheeled into an operating room, Patrick by my side dressed in blue scrubs and a small smile, encouraging words flowing from his mouth. A few tears burned my eyes from the fear of being cut open, but Patrick's lips caught them before they trailed too far from my eyes.

"What if something goes wrong?" I whispered against his lips as he continuously pressed kisses to the plump skin of my lips.

"Everything is going to be fine." He told me as my doctor began to prepare for the surgery.

And Patrick was right.

Christina Elizabeth and Tenley Marie Kane were born 30 seconds apart, Christina being the first one to let out her soft cry. Tenley came next, a loud scream to out do her sister as I let a few tears streak down my face in pure relief, as the doctor announced that they were both 7 pounds 5 oz and healthy as can be. I looked up at Patrick as the doctor began the 30 minute process of stitching me up. His blue eyes were on the two babies getting examined, the whites of those beautiful eyes brimming with tears as the girls were wrapped in light pink blankets along with small hats of the same color.

Both girls were placed in Patrick's strong arms and even though he looked like he was going to lose it, he held it in as he vowed to protect them from any "punk ass boys who think they can hook up with my babies. I don't fucking think so. I've been there, I know how that goes." Patrick and my two babies kept me entertained and alert, even when I wanted nothing more than to close my eyes and sleep. Being in labor had knocked me on my ass, not to mention I hadn't slept at all since my short nap earlier in the day. Patrick and I were already transfixed by the two beauties, as Patrick called them, and their little movements including their adorable yawns.

By two o'clock that next afternoon, I had seen a majority of the Blackhawks team, but my sons had yet to grace their presence at the hospital. Patrick left a little over an hour ago to retrieve them, but still hadn't returned, and to say I was getting impatient was definitely an understatement. I was bored, nothing good was on TV, and the babies were currently in the nursery being observed. I sighed loudly, wrinkling my nose at the silence of the room and the soreness of my lower abdomen. My eyes drifted closed for lack of better things to do until I heard my oldest screech my name.

"Chase! No!" Patrick called to him as the little boy started to run in order to leap onto me. Chase paused and whimpered before fat tears began to fall.

"I missed mom!" He sobbed loudly, beginning to crumple to the floor, but Patrick caught him, setting the sad little boy on the bed beside me, holding Ben tightly in his other arm.

"I missed you too, honey." I soothed him, running my hands over his thick, strawberry blonde, curls. My first born looked up at me, blue eyes swimming with tears. I grabbed his chin, pulling his baby face and lips up to mine to give him a peck. As my first born, Chase and I would always have a special bond and there would always be a piece of my heart that he had.

"Where's da babies?" Ben asked as Patrick set him down. The two year old toddled around curiously, looking about for a sign of his little sisters.

"They're in the nursery, bud. They will be coming soon." Patrick assured. Almost like clock work, a nurse came into the room with two plastic bins holding the two Kane daughters.

"Oh!" Chase exclaimed as Patrick carefully handed Tenley to me, keeping Christina for himself and Ben. I smiled at the proud papa as he beamed down at his four children, all identical to him in some way, with bright eyes. "Mama, she's so small." My baby boy whispered, cautiously running a dainty finger over Tenley's soft baby face.

"You used to be this little." I told him, smiling at his wide eyes.

"But I'm big now." He grinned proudly as Patrick chuckled. We both looked at each other, eyes shining with pride at our beautiful family and the happiness we had worked so hard to create. Patrick leaned down close to me, lips pressing against mine before he murmured a soft "I love you." I smiled at him, shaking my head at my good fortune.

No, none of this was supposed to happen, but thank the lucky stars it did.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a birthday present for my bestie Kara :D
I hope you like it and have a wonderful birthday! <3