Sequel: Ever After Never Came
Status: Finished!

I've Hoped For Change, It Gets Better Everyday

Just Gonna Stand There And Hear Me Cry, But That's Alright Because I Love The Way You Lie...

“Dude, what the hell was that?” Jack was currently sitting in the kitchen, being grilled by his three best friends.

“I don’t know. We were just sitting there one second and the next, I start noticing how pink and full her lips looked,” Jack stated in his defense.

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” Alex exclaimed. “One minute you tell her there is never going to be anything between the two of you, and the next you’re shoving your tongue down her throat? That’s ridiculous and so uncool.”

“Yeah, Jack, that’s pretty messed up. You can’t keep messing with her like this. You know Abby gets attached easily,” Zack added.

“I know, I know. I don’t know what I was doing. I wish I could take it back, believe me.” Jack peered into the living room at the girls. They were speaking to each other in hushed tones, glancing over to the kitchen every once in a while. Jack jerked back when Abigail’s eyes landed on him. He wasn’t sure what had possessed him earlier, and he shivered at the thought of his girlfriend finding out. Linda could never find out. But what if Abby told her?

“Crap,” breathed Jack. He shot out the door, almost tripping over Lisa as she grabbed some popcorn. The girls jumped at his sudden reappearance. “We need to talk.” He grabbed Abby’s by the arm and led her outside.

“Ouch, Jack you’re hurting me,” Abby pulled her arm from him. “What are you doing?”

Jack sighed, and pinched the bridge of his nose, the way he always did when he was thinking too hard. “That wasn’t supposed to happen.”

“No shit, Sherlock,” Abby stared at the ground. “What were you thinking?”

“I wasn’t,” Jack responded honestly. “Look, Linda doesn’t need to know.”

Abby laughed bitterly. “Oh no, of course not. We wouldn’t want your fairytale relationship to become troubled.”

“Look I’m sorry, I wish I could take it back,” Jack pleaded. “Please, don’t hold this against me.”

“No, you know what; you don’t get to make that request. You did this, now deal,” Abby snapped. “I tried to get back to normal, but now you just undid everything I worked hard on, and for what; because you weren’t thinking.” Abby’s voice went up an octave.

“I said I was sorry! What else do you want from me?” Jack’s voice matched Abby’s. “Should I sell you my soul and sign it over?”

Abby stared at him blankly. “You’re making me the devil in this scenario?”

“Hey if the shoe fits…”

A slap resounded in air and Abby looked stunned, her hand still held up. A red mark was forming on Jack’s face, and as he replayed what just happened in slow motion, he snapped. He shoved Abby and pinned her to the ground and he heard the thump as her head hit the ground.

“You’re a bitch,” Jack’s voice seethed venom as he hissed at her. “I hate that you think you have the right to treat me like I’m the one fucking everything up.”

He didn’t know who was talking, didn’t even recognize his own voice. His brain was sending messages but his body wasn’t receiving them. Zack and Rian pulled him off of her and he heard sobbing as they dragged him to the other side of the yard.

“What the fuck, Jack?” Zack was yelling at him and then he was on the ground, fists colliding with every uncovered part of his body. Then his brain switched on and told his fists to hit back. The scuffle went on until Alex and Rian grabbed both guys and held them apart; not an easy feat.

“You are seriously fucked up in the head, Jack!” Alex yelled at him. Lisa and Kara stood behind him, with Abby, deciding what would be the best way to react. Kara’s motherly instinct surged past the shock and set her in motion.

“We need to get some ice on your head, Abs. Come on.” Kara tried to pull Abby inside, but she shoved them off.

“I’m going home,” She said, and she took off running.

~*~

I couldn’t breathe, my lungs were about to burst and my sobs didn’t help my ability to inhale and exhale properly. I tripped and fell several times, as I was accustomed to, but I only jumped back up again to continue my torture; I would never be far enough from him.

“Abby! Abby wait, slow down!” Lisa and Kara were catching up to me quickly thanks to the fact that they were both coordinated enough to stay on their feet.

I ignored their calls and kept stumbling through the darkness. I hadn’t even noticed the sun go down; I had no clue what time it was. The toe of my shoe caught onto a crack in the sidewalk and this time I fell hard. Exhaustion overwhelmed my body and I had not an ounce of strength left in me to pick myself up.

“Abby?” Lisa dropped down next to me, Kara on the other side. Kara took the initiative and enveloped me in a hug. My crying escalated and I was all but clinging to Kara. I could hear Alex and Zack yelling at him. I hadn’t run very far; so much for my athletic abilities.

“Hush, it’s okay Abby, we’re here,” Lisa rubbed circle on my back until I quieted down.

“He hates me,” I whispered, surprised by the very sentence. “He hates me.” What else would explain the way he’d spoken to me?

“I know… I don’t know what to say.” I felt Kara shrug. “We really need to get you home and put some ice on your head; I think you hit it really hard.”

I’d been in an emotionally abusive relationship, but I never expected to be in one with my best friend. My sorrow and pain converted itself into anger and bitterness as I processed the thought. He’d done this, and he couldn’t take it back. Tears fell down my cheeks as I stood up and marched back toward his house; but I didn’t shake as he came into view; and my voice did not crack when I addressed him.

“I fucking hate you. Don’t ever talk to me again. I’m done.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So I've been listening to "Love The Way You Lie" and this popped into my head. I know Jack is more than likely SEVERELY out of character. But I wanted to pinpoint the fine line between love and hate and the point where you just snap and do things completely out of character.

It's far fetched, I know, but I felt like I could try it. If you guys totally hate the idea, tell me. I'll take another swing at it and rewrite the chapter.

I love you all for commenting and reading. Let me know what you think and what you predict happening.