Sequel: Ever After Never Came
Status: Finished!

I've Hoped For Change, It Gets Better Everyday

Got A Heart Of Steel; You Can't Cut And Bleed Me Dry

“So how long are you going to stay here?” Aimee asked me a couple of days later as I was pulling my hair up.

“I haven’t found anywhere to stay yet,” I answered quietly, looking at her through the mirror. “Am I bothering you by being here?”

“No, no,” Aimee said quickly. “It’s not that, it’s just… okay mom and dad asked me to give them a play by play of what you’re doing.”

I scoffed. “Of course.”

“They’re worried Abs, what else do you expect?”

“Mom said that I abandoned the family and not to come back once I left. Why does she care all of a sudden?” I turned to face my sister.

“It’s not all of a sudden, Abby. It’s mom. She worries and it’s not like she’s going to stop loving you,” Aimee defended.

“Then why hasn’t she called me? Why does she have you checking me instead of just calling me?” I argued.

“I don’t know,” Aimee sighed. “Are you going to work today?”

I nodded. “Alright, I’m going to work now. I’ll see you later.”

Aimee left me alone to finish getting ready. Jack picked me up fifteen minutes later, eating a burrito.

“Where did you get a burrito?” I asked. He was usually running late.

“Ale mm ade ritos,” he answered.

“Don’t talk with your mouth full,” I chastised.

He swallowed. “Sorry mom,” he smirked. “I said, ‘Alex’s mom made burritos’. She gave us each one. Want half?”

I shook my head. “No thanks, I already ate breakfast.” I pecked him on the cheek as he pulled out of the parking lot.

“So I talked to my mom about you living with us,” Jack said casually.

“You did what?” I looked at him, I must not have heard correctly.

“I talked to my mom. I said I would, remember?”

“Yeah, and I remember telling you specifically not to worry about it, that I’d figure it out,” I snapped.

“Why are you being so difficult?” Jack asked. “I’m just trying to help.”

“I told you not to bother with it, and you still did. Your mom and dad don’t need me in the house and I doubt that they want me. Why would you even suggest it?” I fumed.

“Well excuse me for trying to help out my girlfriend,” Jack barked.

“I didn’t want that kind of help! All I asked was that you pick me up for school and drop me off at work. I can handle the rest from there,” I retorted, glaring at him.

“Well then fine forget it,” Jack bit back. “Fucking getting pissed off for stupid shit,” he added under his breath.

“Don’t start swearing at me!” I yelled at him. “God, you’re so immature.”

He hit the brakes hard as he parked, practically giving me whiplash. “You know what? I’m going to class. Walk yourself.” Jack slammed the door to his car and stalked off, leaving me without anyone to walk with.

“Fine, you’re such a jerk!” I yelled after him, frustrated. He flipped me off and I felt my blood boil. Did he seriously just do that?

I stalked off to my own class, pissed off as hell. I wasn’t paying attention and ran into someone dropping all my things and falling on my butt. “Crap, I’m so sorry.”

“It’s alright, no harm no foul,” a voice replied. I looked up to see a blue eyed, blonde haired boy handing me my stuff. “I should be the one apologizing; you’re the one on the floor.”

“I wasn’t paying attention,” I answered. How could I have never seen this person before? He was adorable, perfect teeth and dimples.

“It’s fine, really. I uh, didn’t get your name,” he smiled.

“It’s Abby,” I replied, returning the smile. “Yours?”

“Tyler,” he answered. “Since I knocked you down, I think I owe you a cup of coffee?”

I hesitated. “Uh, that’s really sweet but you really don’t have to, I bumped into you remember?”

“Oh well in that case I think you owe me a cup of coffee,” Tyler grinned.

I laughed. “Oh alright, I owe you a cup of coffee.”

Tyler looked at his watch. “Well we have time right now. Want to walk to the café on the corner?”

I looked around, noting that none of my friends were around. It’s not like Jack was waiting for me anyway. “Yeah sure, why not?”

“This was nice, we should do it again sometime,” Tyler said as we walked back to the school, each with a coffee cup in hand.

“Yeah, maybe, it was nice to meet you,” I replied. I wondered if he realized I had a boyfriend. Even when said boyfriend was being a jerk, I was still his girlfriend. “I think you and my boyfriend would get along,” I added.

Tyler looked over at me. “Um, did you say that you had a boyfriend earlier? I must have missed it.”

“No failed to mention that actually, sorry,” I replied. “Jack Barakat, he’s my boyfriend.”

“Oh, I don’t know him but, cool. That’s cool. How long?”

“About a month,” I answered. “We’ve known each other for a while though.”

“Nice, where was he this morning?” Tyler took a sip from his cup.

I frowned. “We, uh, we got into an argument.”

“Oh, sorry, I shouldn’t have asked that, it wasn’t any of my business,” Tyler shook his head.

“No, it’s fine. I mean it’s normal I guess. It was a stupid fight anyway.”

Tyler nodded. “I’m sure you guys will be fine.”

“So, I like to think I’m pretty good with names and faces, but I don’t think I’ve seen you around before,” I changed the subject.

“Yeah, actually I’m kind of the new kid. I started last week, but you’re the first person I ran into, literally.” Tyler smirked. “Or rather, you ran into me.”

“Right, well welcome to Dulaney High. You’re coming in a little late to the year. We graduate in two months.”

“Yeah I know. My mom got a job offer she couldn’t refuse, so we came here,” Tyler replied. “I’m not behind though, which is great.”

“I must not have any classes with you then,” I stated. I hadn’t seen him anywhere.

“Okay, see, I’m not a senior…” Tyler admitted.

“Aha! I see. What are you then?” I laughed.

“Junior, which is pretty much why you don’t see me,” he explained.

“Nice, one more year left.”

“Yup,” he nodded. The bell rang, signaling the beginning of another day. I rolled my eyes.

“Well that’s my cue to get going. I’ll see you around, Tyler,” I raised my cup.

“Thanks for the conversation. At least now I have one cool senior friend,” Tyler chuckled.

“Hate to break it to you, but I’m not that cool,” I laughed. “Bye.”

I walked to class, smiling. I made a new friend on my own and wasn’t completely retarded. This was a step in the right direction.

Kara found me halfway to class. “Hey Abs, what’s up?”

“Not much. You?”

“Not much either. What’s wrong with you and Jack?” she asked. I knew this was coming.

“Not a thing. Why?” I asked, playing dumb.

“Well seeing as you two weren’t together this morning and he was pissed off, I figure something must have happened,” Kara replied.

“We got into a fight. It’s not a big deal, he’ll get over it.”

“What happened?” Kara questioned.

“I really don’t feel like talking about it, alright?”

“Fine,” she let the subject go, something I was thankful for. Lisa would’ve never let me off that easy.

I did my best to ignore Jack, avoiding him at all costs. I spent my lunch in the library and opted to walk to the diner instead of getting a ride with him. My phone buzzed for the millionth time reminding me that I had countless text messages from Jack. I finally pulled it out and checked my messages.

Look, I’m sorry about this morning…

Abby, come on…

Don’t ignore me…

Why aren’t u answering?

Where the hell r u? It’s lunch…

Abby, seriously, where r u? I’m waiting by the car…

Damn it Abby. I already said I’m sorry.


There were at least five copies of each message in my inbox. I rolled my eyes and pulled on my uniform while replying to one of his messages.

I have 2 work. I’ll talk 2 u l8r.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope that you guys enjoyed this chapter. Sorry if I disappointed anyone.

But seriously you guys, huge, gigantic thanks to Akayytoremember, Nerd Glasses, Liar Liar, dawn8279, and GaskarthBabeeey. You guys are great. Keep up with the commenting!