I'm Gone Away

The Joy of Riding

Allison's blue eyes darted around the room, trying to avoid the sympathetic glances of her classmates. The news had spread like wildfire by the day after Amy's disappearance, and every person Alli had run into had given her the same pitying look; they all seemed to be saying You poor girl, having your sister run off to God knows where only a year and a half after your father's death. She wanted to scream at them to shut up, stop patronising me.

The bell's loud clanging jarred her from her thoughts; she rushed to gather her books and exit the classroom before anyone could stop her. She shoved her notebooks and textbooks into her backpack and ran outside to the buses. Lorraine opened the doors for her just as she approached.

"Another day in paradise, huh?"

"Why do they always have to give me those looks? It ain't like she's dead or nothing."

"It's still news, honey. A teenager barely graduated from her education just takes off in the middle of the night? That ain't common. Everybody in this town is just that: Stuck in this town. Almost nobody leaves. Your sister was just tryin' to get out and make something of her life. It's a shame not one person here understands that."

"You do."

"Because I come from the city. I know how exciting it can be to people who want to escape. I prefer it here, though. But Amy sure didn't."

"Can you drop me off at Kevin's?"

"Of course. Last stop, though, since it's out the way."

"Okay, thanks."

The elderly man looked up when Allie stepped off the bus. Without a word, she dropped her book bag onto the seat of the old truck and slid on a pair of boots. He handed her a hoe; they worked in silence to weed out the large garden He straightened his back an hour later, glared at the sky, and slipped a handkerchief out of his pocket.

"Dry your eyes, darlin'."

"Sorry."

"Don't be. You're allowed to feel whatever emotion you want. But be warned. Pride is antsy somethin' awful today."

They piled into the rundown truck quietly and headed to the barn. She tacked up while Kevin brought Pride out of his stall. Gazing into the bay's big brown eyes caused Alli to smile softly before climbing into the saddle. This was one thing she could truly call her own - the joy, exhilaration, she felt when riding. Her sister never felt this.