Status: Completed

Somewhere Weaknesses Are Strength

Chapter 1

Her eyes glanced over the city from her cobblestone embroidered window. The sun was just setting, taking its light source away from the people inhabiting the tiny area. Husbands hurried home to their families, children returned indoors from playing in the outside fields, animals were brought in from pastor to sleep in their barns; nightlife was just beginning. Bar owners sent their bouncers out to accept and deny visitors. Young adults and older adults alike scattered the city streets prepared for the enjoyment they would have during the night hours.

She wouldn’t be able to attend the rambunctious festivities that took place there. After tomorrow, she would have to wait a full year to be able to get into the bars and clubs and four years to drink alcoholic beverages legally.

A cooling breeze fluttered through her bedroom window, tousling her blonde hair. She breathed in the scent of the spring night. She wished she could venture outside of the castle on nights such as this; where the stars twinkled with unmatched ferocity, the air played games with movable objects, the moon flirted with observers, and the darkness was comforting instead of filling children with unexplainable terror.

But it was too dangerous. Or, at least, her father believed so. She couldn't blame him for his worry. She was the last heir to the throne after the death of her younger and older brothers; he wouldn't want to lose her too. Her mother had long since died and her father never remarried. She was his last heir and family.

Though she hardly saw how it mattered. She never saw her father anyway. He was always busy on some sort of business. She never saw him at meal time unless he had a break from running the kingdom. He didn't dress shop with her or tell her good night. He didn't ask how her day was. He was basically nonexistent in her life.

She felt he only wished her to live because she was his last existent heir. It had nothing to do with fatherly love. She mattered to the fate of their country, nothing more nothing less.

Sighing, she twirled her hair around her elegant finger. Her eyes diverted their attention to the waters. Marring the otherwise perfect picture of the night was a blurry figure. She squinted in an attempt to make it out.

Was that a boat?

As far as she knew, there were no ships scheduled to come in for the entire week. Maybe something went wrong overseas. By the looks of it, the ship would dock by the next morning, if not late night. She would know then what had happened.

"Mistress Cavalier, it's time to prepare for bed," a voice commanded.

The girl tore her eyes from the window to face the middle-aged woman in her bedroom doorway.

"You've known me since birth, Anne; you know you can call me Sebastian," the girl stated.

Anne had been Sebastian's nursemaid since the day her mother gave birth to her. She basically raised the young girl and she still refused to call her by her given name.

"I've said it once and I'll say it again, I'm completely against your parents ever naming you that. You deserve a feminine name; not a name that belongs to a boy," Anne replied, stepping into the room and shutting the door.

"A man's name demands respect; a woman's simply desires it. As the heir to the throne, it's only fitting that I have a masculine name."

"You're only the next heir because your brothers passed away. You would have been a princess otherwise. And you were born before the death of your brothers."

"Well what would they have named me on such short notice? Daisy? Rose? I wouldn't be taken seriously with a name like that."

Anne gave in, "What ever you say, Mistress Cavalier."

Sebastian shook her head at the woman. Anne would probably never give in to calling her by her name. She was a firm believer in women sticking to traditional roles. Anne had been raised as a homemaker and caregiver since birth. She had been opposed to Sebastian taking the throne after her brothers' tragic death. Sebastian should have gotten married and had children. Instead, she was still living at home, learning the technical side of ruling a kingdom. It was against everything Anne stood for.

But Sebastian was happy.

"Let's get you ready for bed," Anne suggested, going through Sebastian's wardrobe and pulling out a simple silk nightgown.

Sebastian faced her mirror, awaiting the tug of the strings on the back of her dress that would signal her release from its torturous hold. Her cream colored dress was topped with a corset-styled bodice. It didn't fit entirely; it was a tad too tight, especially when the back was laced. Her breasts almost spilled fully from the top of the bodice and breathing was difficult. The discomfort was something she was used to by now though. Her hazel eyes sparkled with happiness even in the conditions her lungs were under.

Anne untied Sebastian's dress, letting it fall to the floor. Sebastian's breasts bounced back to their normal resting place, free from the tight grip of the dress. There was no way to wear a bra under the dress. It had no straps or sleeves and was much too tight for her to wear one. Corset bodices didn't require bras in the first place.

Sebastian stood in front of the mirror, clad only in a pair of powder blue panties. She had no shame in being so scantily clad around her nursemaid. Anne had raised Sebastian; there was no reason to feel any shame. Anne placed the silk nightgown over Sebastian's head, helping her place her arms through the thin straps and situating the dress properly on her body.

Even if the gown had no designated shape, it fitted Sebastian's hourglass figure perfectly.

"Now get to bed. You have a big day tomorrow," Anne instructed.

"You mean the ball father has to help me pick a worthy spouse every year? You know as well as I do that I'll throw the whole thing."

"I meant your birthday."

"That doesn't take precedence over father's precious ball."

"He's only doing this because he loves you."

"Whatever."

Anne chuckled at Sebastian's response. Though she tried to act like a mature woman fit to take over the throne, she was still a teenager. No amount of breeding could change that.

"Goodnight, Mistress Cavalier," Anne bowed.

"Goodnight, Anne," Sebastian waved her hand to dismiss her.

Anne left, shutting the door behind her. Sebastian sighed and turned to her window overlooking the city.

"Goodnight, everyone," she whispered.

Sebastian climbed into her king-sized bed. Pulling back her cushy comforter, she tucked herself in. She reached to her side table, turning her lamp off. Darkness consumed the room; the only light came from the stars decorating the sky outside her window.

She couldn't wait for tomorrow to be over. A husband was the last thing she wanted but for some reason her father was strongly convinced that she would be happy with a man in her life. Where he got that idea, she didn't know. It was the farthest thing from the truth.

Sebastian cuddled into a ball under her comforter. The sooner she fell asleep, the sooner tomorrow would be over. She closed her eyes and allowed her mind to relax enough to fall asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I hope you enjoyed.
Again, sorry to those of you who actually read Vixen.
It wasn't working out.
But I know where this story is headed so I won't be deleting it.
Updates will be once a week until I decide otherwise.
So every Tuesday, look out for one of these.
Who wants to guess what role Hayley is going to play in this?
Comment? Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste