Status: Completed

Somewhere Weaknesses Are Strength

Chapter 10

Sebastian's cheeks flushed red under Hayley's gaze. She refused to look the captain in the eyes but she felt the intense stare. In an attempt to regain her composure, Hayley cleared her throat. She couldn't seem to pull her eyes from Sebastian's nude chest.

"I was under the impression that you were wearing a bra," Hayley stated.

Sebastian mentally questioned where Hayley would have gotten that idea. It's not like she had any bra straps showing from the top of her dress.

"I don't wear bras with corset bodices," Sebastian replied, trying to keep her voice level.

On the inside, her nerves were running rampant. Hayley's consistent stare did nothing to ease them.

"I guess you'll be needing the bras I had the seamstress make."

Sebastian nodded, though she didn't think Hayley actually saw the motion. It was silent. The captain was having difficulty concentrating. This didn't happen to Hayley normally. She had seen plenty of naked women in her life; never had any of their bodies affected her concentration.

Hayley shook her head, closing her eyes and rubbing the bridge of her nose.

"Sit down," Hayley motioned to the bed.

Sebastian did so, perching on the edged of the bed. Hayley grabbed the chair from the desk and sat in it, facing Sebastian. Her eyes immediately reattached to Sebastian's breast.

"So," Hayley started, "I saw the cake on your vanity. Are you seventeen?"

"Yes. My birthday was the day you raided the town."

Some birthday present.

"And you had a large array of dresses with corset bodices in your closet. Do you have a particular liking for them?"

That woman went through Sebastian's stuff. Sebastian held down a rude remark.

"They were my mother's favorite form of bodice. I wear them for her."

"I don't remember your mother being in the castle," Hayley stated.

"She died when I was twelve."

"Of what?"

"Suicide."

Talking about her dead mother didn't bother Sebastian. Not anymore. Her mother was gone and had been gone for a long time. Sure, Sebastian missed her but she had no real memories of her mother. Nothing beyond the scent of roses, thick waves of brown hair, and corset bodices. Anne was the one who took care of Sebastian, the one who would forever plague her memories.

Hayley made a noise in the back of her throat. Throughout the conversation, Hayley had kept her eyes on Sebastian's chest. She just couldn't move them away. Sebastian, growing uncomfortable with the attention the body part was receiving, crossed her arms over her chest. Hayley's eyes snapped to meet Sebastian's.

"You better place your arms back at your side," Hayley commanded.

Not wanting to go back to the room under the ship, Sebastian unfolded her arms and returned them to their place at her side.

"Good girl," Hayley managed to keep her eyes even with Sebastian's this time.

There would be plenty of time for ogling later.

"Now," Hayley continued, "you had brothers, correct?"

Sebastian nodded.

Every neighboring country knew she had brothers. It was no secret.

"What happened to them?"

Sebastian sighed. She didn't want to talk about her brother's deaths. They were painful to think about. There had to be something else Hayley could talk about.

Hayley stared into Sebastian's eyes, expecting an answer. Sebastian mulled over the best way to talk about it. She wanted to be as vague as possible.

"They passed away," Sebastian answered.

"I know that. Everyone knows that. How did they die?"

Sebastian hesitated. She would have to keep the memories as far from her mind as she could while she spoke.

"I had three brothers: one older, two younger. My younger brothers were twins. The oldest of the twins passed away when he was five. He was trampled to death by a horse. My oldest brother died at sea when he was seventeen. Pirates shot down and dismantled his ship. The oldest of the twins was shot three months ago by enemies of my father. He was fifteen."

"So you're not the youngest."

"No."

"There are plenty of rumors saying that you are. They also say you're a boy but that is clearly wrong."

Hayley glanced at Sebastian's chest for a moment; then returned her gaze to Sebastian's eyes.

"What was the age difference between you and your siblings?" Hayley asked.

Why did she care? Sebastian was sure Hayley didn’t need to know that. But she wouldn't voice her opinion.

Hayley had a reason for each of her questions. She was getting a feel for Sebastian, figuring out her personality by her family dynamics. It would be easier to break her that way, as well as plan for any disturbances.

"The twins were about two years younger than me. My older brother was exactly three years older than me," Sebastian answered.

"And how long have you been training to be ruler?"

"Since my oldest brother passed away. My youngest brother and I started training together."

Hayley nodded to herself a few times. She asked no more questions, instead taking in Sebastian's stance. Sebastian turned her head to face Hayley's window. Besides the stars speckling the sky, it was pitch black. Sebastian had the urge to open the window. It was something she did at home. The air blowing through her window was enjoyable. Perhaps it would make her feel better about her situation.

Or maybe it wouldn't.

"Can you open the window?" Sebastian asked.

Hayley did say she could ask if she needed anything.

"You couldn't fit through it if you tried. If you did somehow manage to get your chest through, your hips surely wouldn't fit," Hayley answered.

"That's not why I was asking."

"Oh, well then what do you want it open for?"

"To feel the air."

Hayley didn't ask for an explanation. She stood from the chair and, without stumbling, walked to the window. Sebastian watched her fiddle with the lock on the window and pull it open. Air immediately rushed in from outside. Sebastian could smell a tinge of salt in the air. Hayley locked the window in place before returning to her seat.

"Tell me if you feel ill. Not everyone can handle the smell of salt water."

Sebastian said nothing, continuing to stare out the open window. She was aware of Hayley's eyes trailing her body.

"You're not married or engaged, right?" Hayley asked.

Sebastian's head snapped to face Hayley. Marriage? That was preposterous. Hayley would have seen Sebastian's fiancée or husband if she had one anyway. Not that it would have stopped the pirate.

"Of course not," Sebastian answered.

"Are you not expected to be married by the age of seventeen in your country?"

"Young ladies are. But why would I marry? I was to take the throne; I didn't need a spouse to take care of me."

"I thought princesses married regardless of whether they were in line for the throne. And, if I have my facts correct, you didn't start training till you were fourteen and you weren't guaranteed the throne till three months ago. You had plenty of time to get married."

"Maybe I didn't want to get married."

"Why not?"

Hayley's questions were getting annoying. None of this was any of her business. It was all personal and Sebastian didn't want to talk about it. She was tempted to curse Hayley out but that would get her in trouble. Sebastian may not have wanted to talk about it but getting sent back to the tiny room was something she wanted less. It was uncomfortable and dirty in there.

"How old are you?" Sebastian asked, attempting to change the subject.

"I'm twenty-one. But you didn't answer my question."

"I don't wish to speak about this."

"Is it an uncomfortable topic for you?"

"This entire conversation is uncomfortable."

"You've managed to stay awfully calm. I had no idea."

That was true. Sebastian managed to keep her voice level throughout the conversation. It was a feat difficult for her to manage.

Years of explaining her actions to her father under his stone cold eyes helped.

"I just don't want to get sent back to the room," Sebastian whispered.

"There is no way I broke you that fast."

"Maybe you did. Maybe some people don't want to be stuck in a filthy room all day. Maybe some people want to be allowed to bathe. Maybe some people don't want to be starved. Maybe some people don't want to be shackled to a wall. Maybe some people don't want to be in a place where all they can do is think about how they got there."

"Are you some people?" Hayley asked.

"Maybe."

"So you're not broken; you're just afraid," Hayley mused.

"Isn't that the same thing? You still get what you want."

"No, it's very different. Once you're not afraid anymore, you'll start fighting back. I need you broken."

"Why?"

"I don't have to answer that," Hayley smirked.

Sebastian should have seen that coming. Hayley was right, she didn't have to answer. She was the captor and captors didn't answer to their captives. What Sebastian did gather was that her punishments were not over. The remaining punishments could not be pleasant.

There was a knock on the door. Hayley stood from her seat, walking to the door and opening it enough for her body to fit. She slipped through the opening and shut the door behind her. Sebastian took a shaky breath. This entire situation was too much for her. She just wanted to go home.

Hayley returned with a tray of food, which she placed in Sebastian's lap. The food Hayley ordered Zac to retrieve sat on the tray alongside some extra food items.

"The chef had too much fun cooking. Eat what you can but don't make yourself uncomfortable. You're not used to the boat yet and eating too much will only make you vomit," Hayley stated.

"Okay."

"I'll start drawing your bath. It should be done before you're done eating," Hayley walked from her room to the one connected to it.

Sebastian was left to eat alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to Catharine., Bull., Lupin., happyamanda, I JustKeepOnFalling, iR0ckk!, slashXdash, LatteIV, stary_night_blossoms, and HUNTERCALLEDSABRE.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste