Status: Completed

Somewhere Weaknesses Are Strength

Chapter 24

As the deck workers tied the ship down properly, Hayley waved to the crowd of people at the docks. Sebastian, drawn from her distracted state, stared at the crowd in shock. She hadn't been expecting so many people to be there to greet Hayley; perhaps just the king and a few other nobles but not the large crowd before her. To top it off, they were all cheering. They seemed genuinely excited to see the captain docking. Hayley was a pirate, did they not know that?

"Something wrong, sweetheart?" Hayley asked.

"I wasn't aware you were so popular," Sebastian mumbled.

Pirates were supposed to be kept private, seeing as their reputation was never the best in normal communities. Some led out normal lives but disappeared for six months or more at a time to go to sea. However, no one was supposed to know. Or that's what Sebastian had gathered. There were bounties out for the heads of certain pirates, laws that could get them persecuted. They wouldn't want to be known about and risk their life.

Yet Hayley was waving and smiling to a crowd of civilians.

"I bring a lot of finances to my country, do charity work when not at sea, own a thriving business that's not related to pirating. So what if I'm pirate alongside that? My people love me. They have no reason not to," Hayley explained.

"You're not like the pirates I've heard about," Sebastian stated.

"Why? Because I'm not crude and an asshole to those around me? Because people actually like me?"

"Precisely."

"Newsflash, sweetheart, not every pirate fits those stereotypes. That assumption is like me thinking you're stupid because most princesses aren't well-versed."

The stereotype Sebastian immediately placed Hayley under did offend the pirate. She had been relatively kind to Sebastian throughout the trip. Sebastian had no reason to assume Hayley was like every pirate she had heard of. Hayley had done nothing to deserve that.

Maybe Sebastian still had her stay in the dirty quarters under the ship on her mind. But that was the only thing Hayley had done that was bad to the princess. It wasn't terrible; she could have done much worse, enough to earn the stereotype Sebastian had placed on her. She hadn't forced Sebastian into anything, hadn't kept her locked to the bed, hadn’t forced anything onto her. Hayley hadn't even penetrated her.

"I'm sorry," Sebastian said.

She knew what it was like for people to have preconceived notions of her before meeting. There were enough stereotypes associated with princesses and Sebastian didn't fall under any of them. Neighboring nobles were never impressed. It was rude of Sebastian to allow her mind to make the generalization. She knew better than that and she was not okay with her own behavior.

"It's alright. They're about to reposition our opening so we can get off. Smile pretty," Hayley instructed.

Sebastian plastered her perfect smile on her face. Meeting new people was never fun in her opinion. She hated greeting families, attending business meetings, making appearances around town, and other interaction-necessary events.

But she was one step closer to escaping, a thought she kept in mind constantly.

The lowest point on the deck was positioned properly with the dock, allowing the pair a means to get off the ship. Hayley let go of Sebastian's hip and stepped over the small gap between the ship and the dock. She turned, grasping Sebastian's hips. With ease Hayley lifted her over the break and onto the dock.

"Can't have you embarrassing yourself, can we?" Hayley asked, playful smile tugging at her lips.

"That would be devastating," Sebastian joked.

She didn't care what these people thought of her. She would be leaving soon, hopefully. They would never see her again.

Hayley chuckled. She could tell, by the look on Sebastian's face, the princess didn't give a shit about what was going on. It was obvious she just wanted to get some rest in something that wasn't a ship.

Sebastian glanced at the throng of people, not taking in each excited face. She was simply curious what kind of people were here to greet the captain. From the looks of it, they were all reputable. No felons seemed to lurk in the crowd. Some children were even there, though not all seemed to be paying attention.

Sebastian's eyes drifted back to the ship. The crew members were moving crates to a more accessible area on the deck from the storage under the ship. Zac was helping out with the moving of boxes, whereas Josh and Jeremy were watching over the crew. Taylor had already stepped off the ship to talk with, what seemed to be, another doctor.

The princess wouldn't miss the excitement.

"Hayley Williams," a voice boomed.

Sebastian's head whipped around. Walking up to the pair was a man clothed in expensive silks that Sebastian could name from a distance. A broad smile graced his face, mirth sparkling behind his old eyes. On his head rested a golden crown doused in jewels similar to Sebastian's past tiara.

For a moment, she wondered if Hayley took her tiara from the castle.

"King Alexander," Hayley bowed.

Sebastian copied the action of respect, bowing to the unknown king in front of her. This wasn't her first time bowing to a king. They were of higher rank. She was expected to bow out of common courtesy.

She was surprised to see Hayley bow though.

"It's nice to see you back," the king said once the two rose.

"Its great to be home," Hayley responded.

"How was your trip?"

"I think you can tell by the number of boxes that it went well."

King Alexander laughed. An urge to curl in a ball and cry washed over Sebastian. Those boxes were from the destruction of her country. Her life and memories were in those boxes. And they were talking about it as if it were some leisurely business matter.

"And who is this?" he asked, acknowledging Sebastian for the first time.

"One of the girls I met on an island we stopped at for supplies. I couldn't help but keep for my own," Hayley answered before Sebastian could.

It was probably a good thing too. Sebastian may have messed the whole plan up in that moment. She was a tad distracted by her sudden depression.

"She's gorgeous," King Alexander complimented.

"As island girls typically are," Hayley stated.

"So you decided to kidnap her?" he joked.

"I didn't kidnap her. She came willingly. Isn't that right, sweetheart?"

Sebastian nodded, keeping a sweet smile on her face. The king wouldn't have done anything if he found out Hayley had kidnapped her. He seemed to expect it from the captain.

"Her name is Sweetheart?"

"It seems fitting, don't you think?"

"That is too adorable," the king turned to Sebastian, "Have you enjoyed living with Hayley so far?"

Hayley gripped the princess's waist subconsciously. Sebastian had plenty of opportunity to ruin this. Hayley did not like having no control of the situation, or any situation for that matter.

"Its much more exciting than living on the island," Sebastian responded, "Captain Williams has been very kind to me and it's been amazing to have the opportunity to ride in such a large ship."

"What did you do on the island? You're paler than islanders I've met."

Sebastian's mind raced with possible responses. She should have been prepared for this. Hayley should have told her what to say about life on the island. Sebastian knew someone would ask. Who didn't ask island girls what they did? Worse, Sebastian needed to come up with something that explained her lighter-than-island-girl skin tone.

Sebastian was going to find some way to lie through this.

"I would help my mother cook and clean. And I used to play with my little sister. She loved dolls. Besides that, I would look at the stars at night," Sebastian answered.

Sebastian always loved dolls but she never had anyone to play with, aside from Anne. Her brother's used to rip the heads off her dolls and torture them when they played games.

She always prayed for sisters.

And she did stare at the stars when she was younger, before she was taught their secrets. They were fascinating before then, so full of mystery and inspiration. When she learned about them, she didn't care much for looking at them. There was no reason to sit outside and ponder their origin.

"What would you do while looking at the stars?" King Alexander asked.

"Dream," Sebastian responded.

"Oh, she is just precious," he said to Hayley.

Hayley mentally applauded Sebastian's performance. Without complete prepping, the princess was able to pull of a perfect strand of lies. She was impressed.

"Exactly why I couldn't keep my hands to myself when I met her," Hayley said.

"She'll be much better for you than your past girlfriends."

Sebastian perked up. Hayley had girlfriends in the past? What had happened to end the relationship? Not that Sebastian needed to know. It wouldn't change a thing for her either way. She was leaving as soon as she got the chance.

"I think so too," Hayley said.

"Well, your carriage is waiting for you. Our storage heads will be helping coordinate with your designated heads. Crates will be going to the same place as normal. We would divide the cargo now but you should get your island girl settled in. Business is no place for her."

Sebastian held in a scoff. She knew business well enough; that had been her strong point. But the king couldn't know that. It would ruin everything. She would be able to live with him treating her like an idiot for a few more minutes, if that long.

However, she wished Hayley could have made her into something more respected.

"Alright. I'll dismiss my crew when I get back," Hayley said.

"Don't get too distracted," King Alexander joked.

Hayley smiled, "I'll try not to. She's just so cute."

"I'll see you back here in a few hours then."

"Yes, sir."

"You may leave."

Hayley bowed again, Sebastian mimicking the action. The king left the two to inspect the crew while they worked.

"Come on, sweetheart," Hayley commanded.

Again, Hayley led Sebastian by her waist, this time towards the roads where a white carriage with golden "H" crests embedded on the doors was parked. Two pure white horses were attached to the front of the carriage, head pieces decorated in assorted gems. Sebastian marveled at the exquisite build of the carriage, the finely bred horses. She hadn't exactly been expecting Hayley to have this kind of money.

"Is this your's?" Sebastian asked.

Hayley nodded.

"It's beautiful," Sebastian stated.

"Thank you."

Noticing the pair approaching, the carriage driver jumped from his post to open the door.

"Ma'am," he nodded.

"Peter," Hayley greeted.

Hayley let go of Sebastian's waist, grabbing hold of her hand. She kept hold of Sebastian's hand as the princess ascended the step into the carriage. Hayley followed after her, driver closing the door behind them and rushing back to his post to coax the horses into motion.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to likeswimmingcircles, childhoodsxhour, Catharine., Danelradcliffe1fan, LatteIV, X_xsordid-soulsx_X, she floats., the-quiet-one, Emmmm!!!!!, nimrod;, and stary_night_blossoms.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste