Status: Completed

Somewhere Weaknesses Are Strength

Chapter 27

Fully clothed, Sebastian sat on the edge of her bed, perched there awaiting Hayley's arrival. The grandfather clock in the hallway chimed, telling those who actually cared the time. Sebastian had stopped counting the chimes of the clock long ago. It was late, she knew that much. Hayley had yet to return. Sebastian was getting anxious. Since Hayley left, Sebastian had been trying to wait calmly but she could only wait so long before doubts filled her mind. If Hayley didn't show up before the sun broke out over the land, Sebastian's plan would be ruined. She wouldn't be able to leave until the next nightfall. She couldn't wait that long, not without losing nerve.

Anything could upset her quickly made plan. And she had no second plan, nothing to fall back on in case of emergency. She was hoping to have no difficulty in the initial escape. That was the most important, as well as the weakest, part of her plan.

During the waiting time, Sebastian had prepared for her departure. She changed with relative difficulty from the silk nightgown Holly put her in to one of the more modest gowns in her closet. Leaving in an extravagant gown would only get her robbed and killed. Out of a small pillowcase, she created a knapsack. When the chef went off duty, she filled it with food from the kitchen. She stole one of the swords that adorned Hayley's wall. It slipped right off the hook without struggle.

Her preparation reminded her of her brothers, the once living heirs to the throne, the ones who trained her in the art of mischief. Sebastian could remember all of the ridiculous things they did. The eldest of the twins had been part of the mayhem before his early death. They all had gotten into their share of trouble with their parents and the law but they always found a way out, using anything from their youthful charm to extensive knowledge of regulations to their father as an advantage in avoiding any extreme consequences. Sebastian had even gained a bit of her brothers' boyish charm, easily able to make women of any age to swoon with one smirk. It was a trick that came in handy.

Sebastian couldn't help smiling as the memories of her siblings flooded her. All of their idiotic antics, her brothers' lessons in getting out of any trouble, the support she found in them when no one else was there.

What would they say now? Would they encourage her escape plan, feel a sense of pride in having someone to continue their antics? Or would they reprimand her for leaving a place where she was allowed to live a pampered life under the supervision of an attractive pirate?

Her brothers had priorities and women were one of them.

Sebastian sighed, unsure of whether or not she could do this. There was so much at stake, things she did treasure: her life, her comfort, her happiness, Hayley's happiness. Leaving could ruin all of those things. And she wasn't sure if she would find someone who made her feel the same way Hayley did. She would never get back the kisses that made her forget, the touches she couldn't resist, the things that helped her in overcoming the loss of her family. Trying to escape and not succeeding still would cause her to lose all of that.

But she couldn't stay. Hayley had the intentions of breaking her. The pirate wanted her as a sex slave and nothing more. Sebastian could not allow that to happen. She would be owned by no one.

Sebastian was going to escape and she was never coming back.

The main door to the mansion slammed shut, its sound resonating through the house. Sebastian hadn't heard it open but she wasn't expecting to. The room she was staying in wasn't at the highest point in the mansion but it wasn't on the lowest floor. Some noise was to be expected.

She could vaguely hear Hayley's voice, most likely giving a series of commands to the butlers downstairs or dismissing them before going to bed. Sebastian didn't really care what Hayley was saying. She was home and Sebastian's plan could finally be put in motion.

Sebastian stood from her seat on the bed, carefully walked the expanse of the room, and pressed her ear to the door. She could hear the light sound of Hayley's footsteps traveling. As Hayley got closer to the room, they got louder until they stopped in front of the door to Sebastian's room. Sebastian's eyes went wide realizing that Hayley could decide to check on her before going to bed. The princess hadn't taken that into account, an obvious flaw in her planning process. Hayley would catch her before she made out of the room. She should have stayed in bed until she was sure Hayley was asleep instead of being so anxious in leaving.

"Is she already asleep?" Hayley's voice carried through the closed door.

"Yes, ma'am," Holly responded, "She went to sleep early. The boat ride exhausted her."

Sebastian had lied in order to get Holly to leave her alone for the night. During their time together, Sebastian had been doubting her plan, almost giving up on it completely. She needed to get her thoughts in order.

"I assume it would. She's afraid of being on sailing ships," Hayley stated.

"I was not aware."

"I don't understand it. There's nothing scary about water. She didn't even want to get off the ship once she was on it because she was afraid to go on deck."

"Oh my."

"Yeah," Hayley paused, "Was she nice to you?"

"Yes, ma'am."

Sebastian had made sure to treat Holly with respect throughout their time together. She didn't want to ruin the girl's first chance at being a handmaid. It wouldn't matter though. In minutes, Sebastian would be on her way to freedom. Sebastian could have been terrible to Holly and it wouldn't have mattered in the long run. Holly's training would be going to waste. Sebastian almost felt bad about it.

But she was leaving. She wouldn't be under the pirate's hold anymore. She wouldn't have to watch what she did. She wouldn't have to worry about ridiculous punishments. Life would be good and Holly would get over it.

Though, Sebastian would miss some of Hayley's traits. She had grown accustomed to the things the captain did for the most part. Like Hayley's need for control when they were intimate. Sebastian was actually quite fond of Hayley's assertive behavior. She also love that Hayley never insulted her for being awkward as a princess and a ruler. Hayley didn't care that Sebastian lacked some of the abilities and eccentricities of her class. In fact, Hayley seemed to find Sebastian's weaknesses as endearing qualities rather than things that would hold her back in life. It was probably Sebastian's favorite thing about Hayley: the seeming adoration for who she was. Hayley never came off as trying to change Sebastian. Though Hayley had mentioned wanting Sebastian broken, the pirate didn't try to break her. At least, not to her full potential if she was trying.

To top it off, Hayley had trust in her not to escape and had been much kinder to her than Sebastian expected. Leaving would only betray that trust. Sebastian's conscience would fill with guilt over doing so.

Could she really do this?

Sebastian shook her head. She could and she would. Guilt wouldn't slow her down. Hayley was a pirate who burned down her country. No matter how nice Hayley was, she was the cause of Sebastian's problems and could easily become a threat to Sebastian's life.

Pirates could not be trusted.

"That's good to hear. Did you explain the call system to her?" Hayley asked.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Did she understand it?"

"She caught on quickly."

Of course Sebastian caught on quickly. She was a princess. Call systems were no mystery to her. The one in the castle had been much more complicated than the one in the mansion, mainly because of the amount of hired help.

"As she should have," Hayley stated, "Did you do anything else productive today?"

"Yes, ma'am. I gave her a full tour of the estate."

"Did she like it?"

"She was impressed with the mansion itself but she wasn't too fond of the garden."

Sebastian decided she hated the garden the moment they stepped foot outside. It was beautiful, yes, and would have been marvelous if Sebastian liked gardens.

And roses.

It was filled with varying colors of that detestable plant. There were some other flowers scattered around the area but the roses were so overpowering, the other plants didn't matter.

Sebastian could hear Hayley chuckle, "I figured she wouldn't. Did she get to see the stables?"

"Of course. Your black stallion was her favorite."

"He's my favorite too. I'll have to take Sebastian riding when I get the chance. You're sure she's asleep?"

"Yes ma'am. I saw her to sleep myself and checked on her twice."

Sebastian made sure to fake sleep while Holly made her rounds. Most handmaids did check on their mistresses more than once after they were put to bed. She had been smart enough to wait till Holly was finished to prepare.

"Well, I won't disturb her then. I'm going to sleep. You should too," Hayley said.

"Yes, ma'am."

"You're dismissed. Good night."

The prolonged conversation was over. Footsteps moved away from the door. Sebastian waited, ear pressed against the wooden surface. When it was completely silent, she pulled away from the door and took a deep breath to soothe the nerves floating around in her stomach. The princess pulled the door open a crack and peered through. Finding the hallway clear, Sebastian fully opened the door, sword and makeshift sack in hand. She glanced down both sides of the hallway. It was empty as far as she could see. Sebastian rushed from her room and down the various staircases as quickly as possible. Her steps made no noise as she traveled.

With no conflict, Sebastian reached the front entrance of the mansion. At the door, she stared at the lock keeping her escape out of reach. It was foreign to her. Never had she seen any like it in the castle. Shrugging, she began turning the lock in different directions. It would have to open at some point. And it seemed as though she had the time to figure it out.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Hayley's voice rang, firm and authoritative.

Or maybe she didn't.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to Danelradcliffe1fan, WhenInDoubt, LatteIV, the-quiet-one, stary_night_blossoms, and RememberingEmily.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste