Status: Completed

Somewhere Weaknesses Are Strength

Chapter 51

"What?" Sebastian asked.

"He's requested to see you. Apparently, he's smarter than I've given him credit for."

How long had he known Sebastian was there? How long had he known Hayley had her in her hold? The letter was a joke, a game to him, getting their hopes up, then crushing them. Sick and twisted. And he was enjoying his game.

"So what happens now?" Sebastian asked.

"I have to take you to him."

The answer caused Sebastian's heart to drop into the pit of her stomach. Hayley would take her to him. Had she expected anything better, though? The harsh voices were probably a bargain, and Haley was giving her up for her own safety. Sebastian didn't blame her, couldn't blame her.

That didn't mask her hurt.

"I expected as much."

Pain coated her tone, breaking Hayley's heart. She didn't want her princess to be hurt. There was still hope, plans whirling around Hayley's mind, one shining above the rest. Sebastian needed to be kept in the dark in order for anything to go as planned.

"I have no choice."

"Are you going to let him take me away?" Sebastian said, tone depressed, "I thought you loved me."

"I do love you."

"But you'll let him take me away?"

"I never said that."

"How can—"

Pulling her against her body, Hayley shushed her. "It will all work out. Trust me."

Pressed to the pirate's body, warmth surrounding her, Sebastian's nerves calmed. Her heart beat vibrantly, hope once again filling her at the pirate's words. Trust her. All she had to do was trust her, and things would work out.

"Okay."

"Are you ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

Hayley gripped the younger female's hand, keeping one arm tight around her waist, and squeezed it in reassurance. This would be okay. She wouldn't let anything happen to Sebastian. She couldn't allow herself to let her get hurt. Sebastian was hers now and nothing would take her away.

"I love you," Hayley said.

"I know."

What else could she say? She wasn't ready to say the same words back. Not yet. As much as she wanted to be able to, she couldn't because she didn't know if what she was feeling was that strong.

But her answer seemed to calm Hayley, whose heart beat steadily against Sebastian, a contrast from the wild beating she felt earlier.

"Holly," Hayley addressed the handmaid standing to the side with her hands folded, "You can change."

"Thank the holy powers above," Holly mumbled, collapsing on the bed and ripping the stilettos from her feet.

She wasn't as shaken as she had been prior. Seeing the embrace and promises of the captain were enough to put her mind at ease. Hayley cared for Sebastian. That, in itself, was what would keep her mistress safe.

"Make sure no staff members enter the living room."

"Yes, ma'am."

Hayley let her arm slip from Sebastian's waist but kept their hands tightly locked. "Let's go."

"Be safe," Holly said, watching them leave from the room.

She had enough faith in Hayley to know everything would turn out alright. Working here for so long had given her that insight. Hayley would get what she wanted out of the situation, using any force she needed.

Hands clasped, Hayley and Sebastian made their way to the living room, through hallways and staircases that Sebastian had memorized in her short time out of Hayley's room. The tight grip of their hands did nothing to ease Sebastian. With each step closer, her nerves grew. Hayley's grip seemed to constrict her hand more and more as they drew near, showing Sebastian how nervous Hayley was about the situation.

But Hayley had a plan of some sort. She wasn't the type to go into a situation without one. Pirate captains were capable of coming up with plans under pressure, never going into a situation without something to fall back on. Hayley would be no exception.

Perhaps she wasn't nervous but anxious to get Sebastian into safety.

Sebastian glanced at Hayley. She didn't look scared, not remotely. Her mouth was set in a line, the plan playing out in her eyes. It was a hard look, one Sebastian vaguely recognized. The calm calculating killer was there, and she had nothing to worry about. She would be safe in Hayley's hands.

Knowing the captain was in control sent heat to her core. Despite the fear and danger, Sebastian could appreciate the look on Hayley's face, the attractive features set in a steadfast expression.

Hayley stopped them at the door leading to the living room and met Sebastian's eyes. "Whatever happens, remember how much I care for you."

"I will."

"You're supposed to say you care for me, too."

"You know I care for you."

"I want to hear you say it."

A sad smile spread on Sebastian's face. She understood why Hayley wanted her to say it.

"I care for you, too, and I always will."

Maybe she was afraid.

Nodding, Hayley turned back to the door and squared her shoulders. She held her head high, preparing herself to face King Ferdinand again. Regal beauty surrounded her stiff body. A mix of unwavering strength and femininity exuded from her pores. Sebastian felt her attraction to the woman increase, something she didn't think was possible.

If Hayley's plan, whatever it may be, didn't work, she would be devastated.

No butlers in the vicinity, having been dismissed upon the appearance of the king, Hayley threw the door open. With the posture that had been ingrained in her since birth, Sebastian followed Hayley into the room, their hands remaining clasped. A pepper haired man, who Sebastian recognized without a second glance, stood from the couch. He smiled and she resisted the urge to vomit all over his pompous attire. Hayley stopped her out of his arms reach, keeping their hands tightly linked.

"Princess Cavalier, what a pleasant surprise," he greeted.

Fake warmth coated his voice, vile to Sebastian's ears. How dare he have the nerve to pretend he had done nothing wrong?

"I wish I could say the same, King Ferdinand."

He seemed absolutely amused at the clipped words flowing from Sebastian's lips. Light shone in his eyes, his smile remained.

"No bow?"

"Your kind doesn't deserve bows."

"My kind?"

"Murderous traitors."

Her comments and gestures were only pushing her deeper into trouble with the man. She knew she was doing so. Hayley knew, too, judging by her increased grip on her hand. Perhaps, if she kept her mouth shut and acted polite, she could have avoided her inevitable execution, struck a deal of some sort with the king. But "perhaps" wasn't a sure enough statistic. King Ferdinand wasn't the type she would attempt to barter with and trust. Not after what he had done.

She would die regardless of how kind she was to him. There was no point that she could see in being nice, so she wouldn't waste her time. She'd bruise his ego, make him angry. He would be furious by the time she was loaded into his carriage and would kill her in a snap decision, without torture, without pain.

Or he could leave her in the forest, bleeding to death.

She could only imagine what Hayley was thinking next to her and how far off the pirate's plan she had jumped.

It was all worth it to get to the man who paid her pirate lover to destroy her country.

"Still haven't lost your charm, I see," he said.

"Still a royal pain in the ass, I see."

He chuckled, a mocking noise that irked Sebastian even more. She hated him. For what he had done, for what he would do. He had everything that was important to her destroyed. She had nothing now, nothing beyond Hayley and her little world in the mansion. And he was trying to take that away from her, too.

What did she do to deserve this?

"Oh, you do crack me up. Tell me, now that your father is dead, do I call you queen even though you have nothing to rule over?"

"You son of a bitch," Sebastian growled.

"Can't take the truth, you frigid—"

"That's enough, Ferdinand," Hayley said, cutting into the escalating argument, her tone filled with authority.

She couldn't stand there and let him insult her princess like that. The mocking comments were unnecessary. Sebastian had done little to merit them. And nothing justified the destruction of her country.

Seventeen-years-old. Sebastian was supposed to be living in the castle, training to be a ruler. Instead, she had to deal with the death of, not only her family but, her whole country. Her life wasn't meant to be like this.

For once, Hayley actually felt bad about taking a job.

"What is she to you?" King Ferdinand asked. "A lover? Let me guess, you were pulled in by her attractive personality." He laughed bitterly. "Oh, wait, that's not like you. I bet you saw those perky tits and decided you had to have her."

"Get out of my home," Hayley barked.

"Well, I guess you should hand her over, and I'll be on my way."

"That's not happening."

"You've broken contract, Captain Williams. Give her to me or I'll take you and execute you, too."

Sebastian almost wanted to tell Hayley to take the offer.

"You want her?" Hayley asked.

"I thought that was clear."

"Then take her."

Betrayal rushed through Sebastian. Hayley was letting him take her. She sounded placed, no threat in her voice. This was it. He would take her.

But she couldn't blame Hayley.

"I knew you'd see it my way," King Ferdinand said, triumphant smile stretching on his face, and reached for Sebastian's arm.

Before he could touch her, Hayley snapped her sword from its sheath and swiped at his hand. Wide-eyed, he jerked back in time to keep his hand intact with only a nick to show the attack took place. Hayley held the sword at arms length, pointed at the king's neck.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to Delightful Syn, Ezo Ookami, banana sykes., Silver.Aer, Danelradcliffe1fan, stary_night_blossoms, taylor0202, and the-quiet-one.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste