Status: permanent hiatus - sorry

Benji

011; have a good day.

I could feel his eyes on me as I drove, boring into the side of my head. I refused to meet his gaze, instead focusing intently on the road in front of me. Childishly, I decided that if I didn’t look at him, he wasn’t there.

“So, on Saturday…” He said with a suggestive tone in his voice.

I narrowed my eyes, practically shooting laser beams at the road, refusing to acknowledge that he’d even spoken.

“Oh, come on, Reid. Talk to me,” he pleaded.

“What do you want?” I growled.

I could hear the smirk in his voice as he spoke. “Oh, just wanted to know why you were practically fucking my best friend when I was out.”

“Shut. The. Fuck. Up,” I told him, punching his thigh between words. “Kyle, you’re such a jerk. We fell asleep on the couch. Fuck you.”

Kyle just laughed that idiotic hyena laugh of his. “Fuck Benji, you mean.”

I slowed the car to a halt outside Benji’s house; turning to Kyle with what I hoped was a murderous glare on my face. “Bro, seriously, just shut the fuck up. If you mention even a word about Saturday, I swear to God I’ll kill you. And then I’ll never drive your dead, rotting corpse anywhere.”

He simply giggled as Benji got into the back, and I hurried to continue driving. The sooner we got to the high-school, the sooner Kyle would be out of the car.

“Morning, Kyle!” Benji said from the backseat. “Hey, Reid,” he added, and I’ll admit I was slightly disappointed that there seemed to be less vigour in his greeting to me.

“Uh, hey, Benji,” I replied, preoccupied as I tried to juggle driving and punching my guffawing brother at the same time.

“So, Benji,” Kyle started and I shot him a glare. “How was your weekend?”

“It was good,” he replied, clearing his throat and adding with a small chuckle, “I was at your place most of it, y’know.”

I groaned internally, knowing Benji probably hadn’t been referring to the time he’d spent laying on the couch with me but to the rest of the weekend, when he’d been with Kyle. But I knew Kyle would try to warp his words somehow.

“Oh, right,” my brother said with a smirk on his face. “But what did you do on Saturday, when I was out?”

“Fuck you,” I muttered under my breath, glancing in the rear-view mirror to see a light blush dusting Benji’s cheeks.

“Um, I was at your house,” he said, looking down, “watching a movie with Reid.”

I leant over and punched Kyle for what seemed like the millionth time. Benji was unaware that Kyle had come home while we were still asleep but had hidden upstairs. Once Benji had left, Kyle had told me he’d been home and had seen us, and he hadn’t shut up about it since.

Kyle’s eyes lit up and he smirked. “Oh? What did you watch?”

The Lion King. It’s the second best Disney movie,” Benji said.

“Hey,” I interrupted, smiling at Benji through the rear-view mirror. “It’s the best.”

A blush dusted his cheeks. “I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree, then,” he smiled.

I grinned focusing on the road again.

Kyle groaned. “Oh, stop. You two are so disgustingly sweet. I think I’m going to vomit.”

“Shut the fuck up, Kyle,” I finally snapped. “You’re so immature. Honestly, just fuck up. It’s not even funny.”

For the rest of the drive Kyle didn’t say a word, though he did make continuous gagging noises and laugh to himself.

When we pulled up at the curb, I waited until Kyle was out of the car before quickly turning to Benji, leaning over and grabbing his wrist to stop him from exiting the car.

“Hey, ignore Kyle. He’s just being a dick,” I told him. “And, uh, have a good day.”

I watched his cheeks redden as he bit his lip, looking down at my hand around his tiny wrist. He didn’t move after a moment so I went to remove my hand, but he caught it, lacing his fingers with mine and squeezing lightly. The action was small and only lasted for a few brief seconds, but I felt a flutter in my chest as he did it.

“You too,” he whispered, looking up at me through his hair. “Bye.”

He got out of the car quickly and joined Kyle as he walked into the school. I waited in my car, my heart pounding in my ears and my hand tingling from the contact, watching as they entered the building. I told myself I wasn’t disappointed when Benji didn’t look back.