Status: permanent hiatus - sorry

Benji

002; blue door, blue eyes.

Kyle knocked on the blue door three houses down from ours, shifting his weight from foot to foot excitedly. Surreptitiously, I looked down, checking that my jeans were unwrinkled, that my shirt was clean, and my jacket free of lint. I told myself it was because I didn’t want to look like a slob when I was meeting Benji for the first time.

A slim, tanned man answered the door after a moment and I finally remembered his name – Carl Cooper. Last year, at the neighbourhood Christmas party, he’d dressed up as Santa for the children.

“Hi, boys,” he greeted, looking us over with bright blue eyes. “How can I help you?”

“Hi, Mr Cooper!” Kyle grinned. “Is Benji in? Only I met him today at school, and then I found out we live on the same road, and I thought I’d come over...”

“Of course, yes! Kyle, right? Benji’s been talking about you non-stop since he got home. Do come in.” He said, ushering us inside.

I shuffled in after Kyle, removing my shoes inside the door and sneaking a few glances at the house. It was built the same as ours, but instead of our cheesy family photos, these walls were adorned with intricate pieces of art. I wondered fleetingly what Carl did for a living but that thought was gone when I heard thumping on the stairs and looked up to see who I’m guessing was Benji.

He was small, at least a head shorter than me, and I wondered if he really was seventeen, like Kyle. A shy but excited smile was visible beneath his mop of blond hair and he waved nervously.He was even better looking than I imagined him to be.

“Hi Benji!” Kyle practically shouted. “This is my brother, Reid.”

Benji smiled shyly before looking to his uncle, as if to say ‘can you leave now?’

“Go on, boys,” Carl chuckled. “Go hang upstairs.”

Benji smiled, beckoning to us as Kyle practically sprinted up the stairs after him. I wandered up, taking my time, before following the sound of voices to an open door. I leant against the door frame because I didn’t want to seem intrusive.

I let my gaze wander about the room. Either Benji was really organised and had unpacked as soon as he’d gotten here, or he’d been here for a while, because his room was completely set up. The walls were a light grey and the smell of paint told me they’d only recently been painted. The floor was covered with black carpet that looked incredibly soft, so much so that I was almost tempted to lie down then and there. The rest of the room couldn’t hold my attention – a bed against one wall, a TV, a desk – so I turned my eyes to Kyle’s new friend.

Up close, he looked even smaller as he stood next to Kyle, gesturing animatedly about something and smiling brightly. He laughed, flicking his blond hair away from his face and I saw that his eyes were the same bright sapphire blue as his uncle’s.

I tuned into their conversation, watching intently but trying to remain nonchalant.

“- and he was like: ‘what are you doing, Benji? That’s the fridge!’”

Both of the boys laughed as Benji finished telling his story. His eyes flicked to me, only just noticing I was there, then back to Kyle.

“Your brother’s creepy,” he whispered, and his blue eyes sparkled, showing that he wasn’t being serious.

Kyle laughed, turning to me. “Oh, that’s probably just because he thinks you’re cute.”

I raised an eyebrow, not offended by the remark but curious as to why Kyle had brought that up. Of course, it was slightly true, but he was my brother and he should know when to keep his mouth shut. Then again, that was just how Kyle was.

“May I come in?” I asked Benji, smiling internally at his red cheeks.

He nodded quickly and I walked in to occupy the chair by the desk.

There was an awkward silence, during which I simply watched Benji. I think he was unnerved by my stare. He cleared his throat.

“So, um, your name’s Reid?”

I nodded.

“And... do you go to school with us?” Benji asked uncertainly, looking to Kyle for confirmation.

I shook my head. “No, I’m nineteen.”

Kyle scoffed. “What he’s not saying is that he can’t be bothered ‘furthering his education’ so the bum is still living at home.”

Benji giggled nervously and the two of them turned their attention away from me, quickly starting up a conversation about someone at their school.

Slightly bored, I spotted a case of CD’s lying amongst the school books on the desk. I picked it up and, after catching Benji’s eye and making sure he was okay with it, began to flick through it. He had an okay taste in music, stuff like NeverShoutNever!, Owl City, Stephen Jerzak, The Scene Aesthetic. But then, at the very back, a CD that didn’t quite fit with the rest caught my eye. I looked up from the Metallica CD, wanting to question Benji about it, but it looked like he was purposely avoiding my gaze.

I shrugged it off, telling myself that I didn’t even know the kid and that I didn’t really care.

I put the case on the desk, leaning back in the chair and closing my eyes. I wasn’t going to go to sleep; I only planned on resting my eyelids.

*

Something jabbing my shoulder woke me and I peered out from beneath my black hair to see Benji looking fairly nervous.

“Reid, I th-think you’re leaving now.”

I blinked a few times before sitting up and shaking my head. “Oh, right. Sorry, must have been tired.”

He didn’t say anything more as he followed me down the stairs, but there was a huge grin on his face.

“What are you so happy about, Benji?” Carl asked when we joined him and Kyle.

“I got Reid to say more than five words!” He said excitedly, his eyes sparkling.

I couldn’t help it; I allowed a small smile to grace my features as I regarded the small, over-enthusiastic boy before me.

“And he smiled!” Benji burst out, pointing at me and laughing in delight.

“Oh, leave the boy alone,” Carl scolded him, smiling gently. He turned to me and Kyle. “Thank you two very much for dropping by; it’s great to know Benji’s made friends already.”

“No problem,” Kyle smiled before being engulfed in a hug from Benji.

“I’ll see you at school tomorrow?” The smaller boy asked.

Kyle laughed. “Yip. Do you want a ride with me there and back?”

They released each other and Benji nodded. “Yes, please!”

Benji came toward me then, his arms outstretched and a hopeful look on his face. I wasn’t planning on hugging anyone tonight, but his blue eyes got to me and I caved. His small arms wound around my waist and I hugged him tentatively back.

“I know your secret,” he whispered as we pulled apart.

I frowned. “What?”

“You are human and you do have feelings!” He grinned.

I chuckled, only causing Benji to smile wider. “See you later, kid.”

“Bye Kyle, I’ll see you at school!” He shouted as we left his house. “Bye Reid!”

“Shush Benji! Goodbye!” Carl called after us.

“I’m not going to shush, Carl!” We heard Benji arguing even as we walked away. “They’re my friends! No, don’t close the door!”

“Benji!”

“I have friends, Carl!”

I chuckled under my breath as we finally heard the door close. “That kid’s insane,” I muttered to Kyle.

“BYE FRIENDS!” Benji’s voice reached us and we heard him laughing.

“He might be insane, but he’s my new friend and I think he’s cool.”

I couldn’t help but agree.