Status: permanent hiatus - sorry

Benji

023; adorable.

It’s hard to describe how I felt, other than completely fucking ecstatic.

I’d fallen asleep with a smile on my face and woke up with it still intact. And even though I was up way earlier than I needed to be, I really didn’t mind. Nothing could ruin my good mood.

I used the extra time to put some actual effort into my appearance, carefully drying my hair and making sure the clothes I pulled on were clean. For once, I didn’t even try to deny it. I admit, I wanted to look good for Benji.

Staring at myself in the mirror, scrutinising my appearance, I wondered why Benji even liked me. I mean, while I’m not hideously ugly, I’m not the most attractive guy either. And I highly doubt it was my winning personality that drew him to me.

It was really confusing, because Benji was practically perfect in my eyes, and I wondered what he saw when he looked at me.

I sighed and collapsed on my bed, completely defeated. Was there any point in trying to make myself look better than I really was?

I don’t know how long I lay there, just wallowing in self-pity, but it must have been a while, because the next thing I knew I could hear Kyle talking to someone outside my bedroom door. And the next voice I heard made my heart leap into my throat.

It was Benji. Benji was outside my door and I had no idea what I was going to say to him.

Before I had any time to sort out my thoughts and come up with something decent to say to him, there was a timid knock on the door.

“Y-yeah?” I choked out.

The door opened slowly and Benji stepped in, smiling shyly.

At that moment, just seeing him, even dressed plainly in black jeans and a blue hoodie with his hair hanging in his face, just seeing that familiar smile on his lips made all of my self-doubts disappear. I didn’t care if I wasn’t the most attractive guy in the world, or the smartest, or the funniest; I didn’t care because Benji said he liked me and if there was one person in the world who told only the truth, it was Benji.

“Hi,” he mumbled.

I grinned at his shyness, which I would never get tired of. “Hey, how are you?”

“I’m good,” he replied softly. “You?”

“I’m great.”

He nodded slowly, his fingers playing with the hem of his hoodie. “Um, well, I… I just wanted to talk to you,” he mumbled, looking down.

I frowned, immediately jumping to conclusions. All of my doubts and insecurities came rushing back and my posture stooped; he was going to say he regretted kissing me.

“Yeah, sure, sit down,” I stammered, sitting on my bed and motioning to the space next to me.

Benji glanced quickly at me, his blue eyes widening, before he stumbled over to my desk and perched himself there.

Well, that fucking hurt; he doesn’t even want to sit next to me.

“I just… I was just wondering…” he started to speak, still looking down at his hands. “Well… Who was that girl yesterday?”

I blinked. “Um, that was just Priscilla, my boss.”

After a moment of silence, Benji looked up at me, his brows furrowed and his mouth set in a stern line. “You can’t do that,” he said harshly. “You’re not allowed!”

“Woah, wait, what?” I questioned, completely taken aback. What was he talking about? I’d thought that he was going to tell me he regretted kissing me, or that he didn’t like me any more… but now I was just confused.

“You kissed me! Me. And then you took that girl upstairs! And she’s your boss. You’re not allowed to do that!” He explained, now glaring at me. It was odd seeing such serious emotions coming from Benji, but the blaze in his eyes was no joke.

“Ooooh,” I smiled, finally realising what he was trying to say. “You think that last night, when I told Priscilla to come up to my room… You think we had sex or something?”

“Well, yeah?” Benji squeaked, his eyebrows raising and his cheeks slowly turning that familiar and adorable shade of pink.

I laughed and pushed my hair off my face, relieved. “She’s my boss, yes, and my friend. Just my friend. We were just talking.”

“Oh,” he said, hanging his head low so that his hair blocked my view of his face. “I’m sorry,” he whispered.

“Don’t be,” I told him, unsure of what to do. I really wanted to go over to him and comfort him, but I didn’t know if I should or not. “I understand how you thought that and… Well, you’re pretty cute when you’re jealous.”

“I was not jealous!” Benji protested, blushing harder than I’d seen before.

I chuckled at the flustered boy sitting at my desk. There was a small pout on his lips and he whined.

“Don’t laugh at me!”

“I’m sorry,” I said, doing my best to stifle my laughter. “Now why are you sitting all the way over there? Come, sit here.”

He stood and slowly made his way over to me, sitting on the edge of the bed next to me. “I… Well, I didn’t want to sit here because I thought you and Priscilla had… y’know.”

I let the laughter burst forth from my lips and Benji pouted again.

“Stop,” he complained, dragging out the ‘o’.

I leaned forward and pressed a gentle kiss to his burning cheek, grinning to myself when I saw how flustered it made him. When I pulled away, he was no longer pouting, instead biting his lower lip. He looked up at me through his inky lashes, his blue eyes wide.

“You’re adorable,” I whispered.