Stalking Charlie

Friday, September 10

I'm not quite sure how things ended up like this; with me having to sit in the counselor's office today, beside Charlie and in front of one angry looking Mrs. Mathen. Although contrary to popular belief, Mrs. Mathen is not at all married. She's an old shrew now, and its been said that she has issues living on her own and coping with loss. However Mr. Mathen, now married to some blonde chick with two lovely children, is very far from dead. Our counselor must have decided she'd lovingly hold on to the title of a married woman if she couldn't have the house he took from her. She insists we use her name at all times.

Yeah. Things get around pretty quickly in this town. Your whole life story could probably end up on the front of the newspaper if you're not careful - not because you're interesting in any way, but more likely because there's nothing else to talk about around here...

Jogging back to what's more important here though, I'd like to say that, first of all, I wasn't the one to start these ridiculous rumors about myself, so I had no idea why I was subject to such punishment. Charlie was accused of 'defamation of peers' (as Mathen likes to put it) while I was accused of "unruly behavior". Apparently it is the kind of behavior where you help someone out and take them home so they won't get their asses handed to them - they just couldn't make a new fancy name for it quick enough.

And the only chaos at this school has been directed towards me. Every one of Charlie's little friends can't pass up the chance the to say the nastiest things as I walk down the hallway. So when I punched her friend Cindy Hayes in the throat yesterday morning, I was a little confused at everyone's surprise. It's not like they didn't see it coming.

What I didn't see coming was her foot connecting to the back of my kneecap. I forgot she was part of the girls' field hockey team. Yes, I'm walking around with a limp at the moment..
As punishment, her brilliant idea was to require a month of community service towards the school. She says that our actions "have cause far too much chaos in the foundation of this school and in the minds of our students."

I'm stuck swabbing lunch puke off the floor and cleaning crap and writing off the walls of bathroom stalls after school. Community service is just another fancy word for god damned detention.

-Max