Status: New co-written story. Comments are love.

Time Runs Through Our Veins.

You hate the Paradox.

Diabetes.

One word can change a life. In my case it changed two. When we were eight Jordan got diagnosed with diabetes.

Its not something we tell people. Nobody knows but us. Well, us and our parents.

that’s the reason I make sure we’re on the same lunch shift. I need to make sure Jordan checks his levels. I know he wouldn’t monitor it if I didn’t make him.

When I walk into the cafeteria I’m waved over by Alex and Olivia.

We eat lunch together as usual but I’m dead quiet. The whole thirty minutes I watch Jordan. I know he didn’t eat breakfast this morning. Neither of us did.

Somewhere at the end of the shift I notice that he and Nolan are talking. Jordan looks pissed and Nolan looks worried.

I decide that this is the perfect time to have Jordan take his blood test.

“Nolan! Rylan wouldn’t do that.” Jordan says.

“I wouldn’t do what?” I ask coming up behind him.

“You wouldn’t lie to me if my girlfriend were cheating on me.” Jordan says eyes never leaving Nolan’s.

“Okay then? Uh…we gotta go do your thing.”

“Damn. I forgot about that.” Of course he did.

Jordan follows me to the bathroom and waits for me to set up the little machine. When the blood is drawn I scan the screen.

“What’d you eat for lunch?”

“I forgot my money.” He mumbles.

“So, you haven’t eaten all day? Damn it, Jordan! Why didn’t you come find me?”

“Chill okay? Nolan gave me some Twizlers.”

“Nolan gave you Twizlers? that’s your excuse?!” I grab his arm and he lets me pull him to the only line that’s still open in the cafeteria.

“Rylan! I can fucking control this! It might be low but I’m still conscious.”

“Barely! Not eating and using your energy by fighting with that kid? You’re gonna-”

“‘That kid’ has a name! God, do you even care about anyone but your little circle of friends?” Jordan yells and stalks out of the cafeteria.

I grab a slice of pizza and an apple before running after him. I notice that the cafeteria is silent and all eyes are on me.

Nolan stands and runs out just ahead of me. When he clears the doors he spins back to face me. “What’s going on?”

“No offense but this is between my brother and me.” I brush past him and find Jordan sitting outside.

“Rylan, I’m sorry. I know you’re just trying to help.” He says in that childlike voice of his.

“It’s okay. Now eat before your blood sugar gets lower.” He takes the apple from me and bites into it.

“Nolan told me about the contest.”

“Yeah? Do you think we should do it?”

He sighs. “Nolan’s afraid you’re using him.”

“What? Why?” How could he think that?

“He’s just used to it I guess. I told him you wouldn’t do that.” Jordan takes another bite. “You wouldn’t do that, right?” Jordan looks up at me through his hair.

No.” How could Jordan think that? “I-I like working WITH Nolan. Not making him work.”

“Good. Just- maybe next time let him choose if he wants to come over.”

“He said yes.” I counter.

“but what if he had other plans? From what I heard you forced him into it.”

God, do they tell each other everything?

“He coulda said no If he didn’t want to come.”

Jordan laughs. “Nolan’s to nice to say no. Just next time? Let him choose.”

“Okay! Okay.” We sit in silence for a while. “How’re you feeling?”

“Better.” He smiles. “Thanks.”

“That’s what I’m here for. And I’ll talk to Nolan if you want. I don’t want to come across as a jerk.”

“Since when? He snorts. He stands up and waits for me to follow him.

Jordan did have a point. One day I’m laughing at kids’ misfortune and the next I care about being a jerk?

“I guess since now.”

“Well, lets not scare him with your sudden kindness.” He says sarcastically. “Talk to him when he comes over later.”

We walk back to the cafeteria. I go back to Alex and Olivia and Jordan goes back to Nolan. They both look happier than I feel.

I wonder what’d its be like to be friends with someone like Nolan.

Its only a matter of time….
♠ ♠ ♠
TC: Master Plan- Adam Lambert

Paradox: a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.

Sorry, I'm on an Adam Lambert kick. It's not passing anytime soon.
And it kinda fits if you really [really] think about it.

Anyway, what do you think? Comments? Suggestions?
Peace&Love