Status: Contest

Welcome to ASL, Bill Kaulitz

2

Image

~*~2 days later~*~

I walked down the desolate halls of one of the biggest hospitals in the United States, my steps as silent as the rest of my world.

I was born deaf, my own cries unable to echo through my unused ears.

Smiling at a few of the patients I followed my teacher and mentor, Mrs. Judy Hahns, to room 468B.

The room that housed Bill Kaulitz, a world renowned singer.

Not that I’d know any of that from personal experiences, but my eyes still work and I do know how to read.

Walking into the room after Judy I smile at the family gathered around the occupied hospital bed.

There was an older couple, both looking strained, who stood by the head of the bed. A younger man stood by them; he looked to be their son. There were a few more people, but they didn’t look related to anyone else.

Finally I turn to the bed, studying the patient. He looked a little pale, with a few lines of stress around his face. The lines didn’t make him look less handsome, instead they added to his charm. His dark caramel eyes held desperation and depression.

I watched as Judy began talking to the patient and his company, her back to me so that I couldn’t lip read what she was saying.

But that’s okay, because it gives me a few extra minutes to study Bill Kaulitz. There was a faint red scar running down his neck, the end just reaching the hospital’s gown.

Catching movement out of the corner of my eyes I turn to Judy.

She held up her hands, signing, ”These are Bill’s parents Simone and Jörg Kaulitz and his stepfather Gordon Trümper. “

I smiled, nodding to the people she gestured to.

”And this is his brother, Tom, as well as his band mates.”

Again I smile and nod to them, signing back as Judy translated, ”It’s a pleasure to meet you all.”

Judy smiled and turned to Bill, not signing so that their conversation was confidential.

I looked away from them, glancing around the room. I’ve learned how to read lips, Judy’s always mouthed the words as she signed them to me, and I didn’t want to impose on anything.

Judy turned back to me, ”He’s nervous and scared. His voice was his whole life and now that it’s gone he doesn’t know what to do next. I’ve suggested he work with us, learn our language. He’s fluent in Germen, French, and other languages. Learning ASL shouldn’t be too hard.”

I nodded, ”Whatever he needs, I’ll help. I may not have had a voice, but I know how to live in this world without one. He’ll have to learn too.”