Demon in an Angel's Skin

The End.

Life and death are balanced on the edge of a razor.
~Homer, Iliad

Walking through the deserted streets, filled with the white-washed walls of the houses and the empty promises of reassurance to young and unknowing children, Death walking with a deliberating pace soaking in all the foreign emotions to his naturally emotionless soul. the Demon was long since dead, only the ghost occasionally resurfacing but easily overwhelmed in Deaths own territory.

Stopping at a black-draped house, Death adjusted his hold on the squirming ghost of the Mexican toddler, dead eyes glistening in recognition of the safety only home can give. Knocking gently on the door, he put the ghost boy down and stalked back into the shadows behind. The door was opened somewhat hesitantly, but was soon flung open at the sight of their lost boy whole and unharmed, once more in his human form.

'Just one night' Death whispered to himself, skulking closer to the rejoicing parent in the shadows, unseen and unknown.

He could always erase the memories afterwards, but the question was; which ones? the ones of joy and happiness at finding their supposed dead child or those of grief and sorrow at seeing him die?

Across the sea, the parents and siblings of the ever-daydreaming girl shared just one more night with their daughter and sister, rejoicing in life. And the trees swayed gently in the ghost of a wind and the girls beliefs in a guardian angel weren't too far from the truth, the only fault being that some guardians may have no emotions, empty eye sockets and will carry on playing the fiddle amongst the dead every 1st and 2nd of November.

However, whether they were going to be tore and cast away into the afterlife was balanced on the edge of a razor.

Author's Note:
Done.
Thank you all for reading, commenting [I hope] and encouraging me throughout this story.

Black_Queen