Are We Demented Or Am I Disturbed

Distance and Time; Time and Distance

Jaelyn stared out the window of her new room, frowning at the unfamiliar scent of the air. She cracked the window to let the sea breeze float in.

"Hey, you should come swim with us," Jason said from the doorway, making her jump. She hadn't heard him approach. She glanced back at him, then looked out the window, stretching her hand out to touch the glass. Suddenly he was right beside her, crouching in front of her, a frown plastered on his face.

"You okay?" he asked softly, reaching to touch her face. She flinched at the contact.

"Yeah, I'm just... Just thinking, I guess." She ran her fingers through her dark hair, sighing.

"About what? You look upset..." She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand, then shook her head, fumbling in her pockets in hopes to find a cigarette. Not finding one, she sighed and fell backwards, stretching her arms above her head.

"About... About someone I left behind," she admitted, surprising herself. She felt the bed sink in next to her and looked up, grey eyes meeting grey eyes.

"Your boyfriend?" Jaelyn shrugged.

"I guess. I don't really know what he was. You could say we didn't part on the best of terms." He nodded, understanding.

"So is he the reason you left?" Jaelyn shrugged.

"And a lot of other things." She laughed harshly. "It was really... messy. Confusing..." She sighed and flung an arm over her eyes. "I don't know."

"Well... You could always start over here..." He murmered, mimicking her thoughts. Jaelyn's stomach churned delightfully. His warm breath tickled her skin, sending a chill down her spine and bringing a smile to her lips. She peeked out from behind her arm and looked at the attractive boy lying next to her. Was he good enough to sacrifice Joey?

He already seemed to understand her, although he'd known her for a few short hours... But Joey had been her life, her soul...

She had to decide... Did she want to come back or did she want to stay here... Stay here with this gorgeous boy who was now staring in her eyes... Pushing her arm away from her face and brushing a tendril of hair behind her ear... Leaning in ever so slowly to press his lips against hers...