Are We Demented Or Am I Disturbed

Salvation

Joey rushed in her room.

"Jaelyn, what are you-" He froze, then pulled her into his arms. She continued to cry into him, soaking his shirt.

"I'm sorry, Joe... So sorry..." She sobbed.

"Shh, babe. It's okay."

When she was done, she sat up and wiped her eyes.

"I broke that vase." She said softly.

"The red one?"

"No. The blue one. Is... Was that expensive? I can't pay for it, but I'll make up for it."

"Oh, It was a gift...My parents hated it anyway."

"How much-"

"Don't worry about it."

"Okay." Jaelyn paused. "Joey, I think there's something wrong with me."

"What? No-"

"There is something very fucked up with me."

"Jaelyn, you're not fucked up."

"No, Joey, you don't understand."

"There is nothing wrong with you... You're perfect."

"No..."

"You've had a fucked up relationship, but it's not your fault."

"But I could have left him... and I just went back... over and over..." Jaelyn trailed off.

"He manipulated you."

"But he tried to leave twice!"

"He made you feel useless without him. It's not your fault."

"Yes it is!"

"Jaelyn, Don't be stupid. It wasn't your fault."

She sighed and leaned against the wall. They sat in silence.

"Remember how things were before you met Tom?" Joey asked. Jaelyn smiled faintly.

"Yeah, We were crazy fuckers, weren't we?"

"Still are... What about that one time you and Kiri went through that wedding crash phase?" Jaelyn laughed.

"Yeah... She got so many guys."

"And you didn't?"

"No... All they wanted was a one-night-stand, and... I'm not like Kiri... I do remember hooking up with you one time, though!"

"What?"

"You were so fucking wasted. I swear you had twenty beers."

"So, you took advantage of me?" Joey pretended to be shocked.

"No, you pinned me down. Theron would've kicked your sorry ass, too, if Linz hadn't stopped him."

"He has it so bad for you." Jaelyn gaped at Joey as he blushed.

"What?"

"Don't say anything to him." Joey mumbled.

"Why hasn't he done anything about it?"

"I don't know. He thinks you're too good for him." She shook her head.

"Things are so confusing right now." Joey put his arm around her.

"Come on. Let's get this cleaned up." He helped her up.

"I don't have shoes." Joey gently lifted her and carried her to the bed. He left the room and came back witha broom and dust pan. She watched as he swept up the remains of the vase, the blue pieces sparkling.

She saw the piece she'd been clutching and struggled to remeber when she'd dropped it.

She absently ran her fingers up and down her forearm, wincing slightly as her fingers brushed scabs and scars. She pulled her sleeve down as Joey finished throwing the glass away.

"So, Jaci, what do you feel like doing today?" Joey asked as he sat on the bed next to her. She shrugged.

"I don't know... Watch some movies... What time is it?"

"Hmm... You woke up at four, so... I'd guess around 6:30..."

"Wait... four PM?"

"No. The other one." She playfully punched his arm.

"Joey!" Adie called.

"What?" Joey yelled back.

"Come here." Joey obeyed. After a few minutes, he came back up to Jaelyn's room.

"Mom and Dad are going to some parties, and Jakob is going to Steffen's house. So, I guess this means we have the house to ourselves..."

Jaelyn faintly heard the front door slam. She smiled at Joey