Are We Demented Or Am I Disturbed

Awakening

White walls. White walls and a white ceiling. The girl blinked, wondering who and where she was. She attempted to sit up, but a blinding pain burst through her body.

"Fuck," she hissed, lying back down. She lifted one arm, noticing a hospital bracelet.

Way, Jaelyn M

Yeah, that was her name. Jaelyn. Jaelyn Marie Way. She closed her eyes and lowered her arm.

A noise came from one corner of the room, and voices floated in.

"Is she awake yet-"

"No, Gerard... I'm so sorry..." Jaelyn's eyes snapped open.

"Gerard," she called, and she saw her uncle run to her bedside.

"Jaelyn! Thank fuck! We were so scared!" He hugged her lightly, avoiding her right arm.

"Where am I, Gerard? What happened?" His face fell. "What?"

"I had hoped I wouldn't have to tell you..." he whispered. Jaelyn frowned.

"What? Gerard, what happened? Where's Joey?" She attempted to sit up, but Gerard gently pushed her back down.

"Calm down, he's in the waiting room. I think Mike just went to get him...he really cares about you, kid."

"Why do you say that?"

"He has barely left your side..."

"Wait...Why am I here? Where am I?" Gerard sighed sadly and took her hand in his.

"You're in the hospital, Jaelyn." She gaped at him. She couldn't be. There was nothing wrong...other than the pain surging through her body.

"What? Why?" He paused.

"Tom...Tom beat you up, broke your arm, then shot you twice. He then shot Joey-"

"He shot Joey!" She attempted to sit up, but Gerard pushed her down again.

"In the leg. He's made a full recovery." She sighed in relief.

"JAELYN!" Joey yelled and came bursting into what she assumed was her room. He practically pushed Gerard out of the way and held her hand, gently caressing her face with the other hand.

"Joey..." She felt a surge of emotion towards Joey, emotions she didn't understand.

"I'm so happy you're awake! We waited for so long-"

"Wait...how long have I been here?" Joey frowned and glanced at Gerard.

"About three and a half weeks..." Joey said slowly.

"What?" Joey shifted uncomfortably.

"Yeah..." Jaelyn blinked at the ceiling, then sat up quickly.

"You're not pressing charges, are you-"

"Against Tom?"

"Yeah." Joey sighed.

"Let's not talk about this now, okay?"

"Are you or not?"

"It depends on if you want me to or not, and we'll talk about it later." Jaelyn sighed and lay back down.

"Hey, Jaelyn?" Gerard asked softly.

"Yeah?"

"Only two people can see you at a time, so is it okay if I let someone else in?"

"Who else is here?" Gerard laughed softly.

"A lot of people, actually... Mikey, Frankie, Billie, Adie, Jake-"

"No, Jake had to leave," Joey interrupted.

"Oh, well... Tré, I think, Mike, a couple of your friends-"

"Cizz, Kiri, Theron, and Linz," Joey interrupted again.

"Yeah, and, oh, Lyz was here for a while... Um... Who else, Joey?"

"Um... Did you say Mike?"

"Yeah..."

"Mike said Lolli was coming later... Oh, and her new boyfriend, Dave..."

"Um, and... Someone came earlier, but they might have left..." Gerard shifted uncomfortably.

"Who was it?" Jaelyn asked, furrowing her eyebrows. Gerard shook his head.

"I think I was hallucinating... Never mind, don't worry about it."

"Gerard... Who was it?" He paused, then sighed.

"I swear it looked just like your dad."

Jaelyn froze, gaping at Gerard.

"What?" she asked for what felt like the millionth time.

"That's why I think I was hallucinating, it couldn't have been your dad. He's been dead for-"

"Eight years..." Jaelyn whispered, staring at the purple blanket carefully placed over her frail body.

"Lyz never told me he died..." her voice was barely audible. "But it's obvious... Why else would he have disappeared from my life?" She looked at Gerard, tears stinging her eyes.

"How?" she asked, her voice trembling.

"Car wreck," Gerard answered simply.

"Why didn't Lyz tell me?"

"I don't know, kid. I don't know." Jaelyn looked away again, this time at the small couch in the corner of her room, where a pillow and blanket were carelessly thrown. The pain in her body had faded to a dull ache, but her mind was exploding with raw emotion.

"Is it okay if I don't see anyone else today?" she asked quietly.

"Sure. They'll understand." Gerard smiled faintly and leaned down to kiss her temple. "I'm so glad you're awake. I'll see you tomorrow, kid." She nodded.

"Love you, Gee."

"Love you too." She heard his footsteps recede into the hallway, fading into silence.

"I'm so sorry, Jaci." She gave him a watery smile.

"It's okay. You didn't know either..." She paused. "Who has been staying with me?"

"I have." She looked at him, slightly confused.

"Why would you do that for me?"

He shook his head and kissed her temple in response.

***

In time, she had seen all the visitors, except the mysterious man Gerard had talked about, and Jaelyn tried to forget about it, though it nagged at the back of her mind.

Joey stayed with her every night, rarely leaving the hospital.