Are We Demented Or Am I Disturbed

Love

Jaelyn woke up to find her head pillowed on Joey's chest. She sighed contentedly as she felt him gently stroke her brown hair. She smiled and sat up, briefly pressing her lips against his. God, she loved this boy.

"Good morning," he said, his voice thick from sleep.

"Good morning." She lay back down, and he continued playing with her hair.

"Hey, Joey?" she asked suddenly, frowning.

"Yeah?" she heard his voice vibrate through his chest, and she placed her hand on it, feeling his heart beat.

"Where is this going? I mean... Is it going anywhere?" Joey paused and shifted, trying to see her face.

"Do you want it to?"

"I'd like it to... I've never been the 'friends with benefits' type..." Joey placed his hand on her cheek, gently turning her to face him.

"Jaelyn, I... You have no idea how long I've loved you. It killed me to see you with Tom. I wanted to hurt him so bad for hurting you. And when you wouldn't tell me-"

"I was scared, Joey," she whispered. He caressed her slightly bruised face.

"I know. I wanted to protect you, Jaci. I love you so much. You don't know how long I've waited. I've loved you since that day when we were twelve, you came over to my house and we planned our wedding..." Jaelyn smiled.

"I remember that."

"I love you so much, Jaelyn. I want to be with you forever." Jaelyn grinned and kissed him passionately, her arms wrapping around him. His tongue flicked against her lips, and she opened them, letting her tounge explore his mouth. She gently pulled away, but he pulled her closer, and their lips crashed together again, her stomach flipping. She smiled into the kiss and ran her fingers through his black hair.

They broke apart as they heard a gasp from the corner of the room. It was Billie Joe. Jaelyn jumped and accidentally pushed Joey off the bed. He landed with a loud thump. Billie's expression changed from shocked to smug.

"I knew it," he stated simply and helped Joey up. Jaelyn could feel her face turning red with embarrassment.

"I'm telling Gerard," Billie said, still grinning like an idiot. Jaelyn opened her mouth, but Billie ran out of the room, laughing evilly. She sighed and flopped back onto the pillow, still warm from Joey lying there.

"We can't stop him. He's gonna tell everyone," Joey said, shifting uncomfortably. She looked at him.

"Did you want it to be a secret?" she asked. He sighed and sat next to her.

"I don't know... I didn't want them to find out like this..." She nodded.

"I understand." Her head began to pound, and she rested it against her knees. "Joey, I don't feel good..." He frowned and felt her forehead. It was scalding hot.

"Jaelyn, what's wrong?" Her vision got blurry, and her world began to fade. Joey clutched her hand, and it brought her back for a little while.

"Joey..." she whispered. His concern-filled face disappeared as her world went black...

***

Joey stood outside the room, looking inside the window. He felt an arm rest across his shoulders, and he turned to see his father. He sighed and turned back to the team of doctors trying to still her as she struggled, screaming. A tear fell down his cheek, and he briskly rubbed it away.

"She'll be okay, Joey..." Billie said softly. Joey shook her head.

"She's so sick... I don't understand. What happened?"

"They don't know, Joey. She won't let them come near her." He watched as they put restraints around her body. She struggled, still screaming.

"Is she conscious?" Joey asked. Billie shook his head.

"No. Whatever is in her mind is terrifying, though..." Joey looked at him.

"How do you know?" Billie paused.

"What else could make anyone scream like that?" Joey nodded and turned back to the window.

"I want her to be okay..." Joey whispered, and Billie squeezed his shoulders comfortingly.

"She will be."

"You have no idea, Dad. I love her so much..."

"I know, Joey... I know..." Gerard walked up to them, pressing his hand against the glass. She was still struggling, tears running down her face. Suddenly the monitors screeched. The doctors rushed to her, pushing a breathing tube down her throat. They pushed some buttons, and soon the monitors returned to normal. One of the doctors left the room, removing his rubber gloves and throwing them away. He turned to the group by the window.

"Mr. Way?" the doctor asked. Gerard stepped forward.

"Yes."

"Your niece has stopped breathing on her own. She is still unconscious."

"But why?" Joey interrupted. "What's wrong with her?"

"We are trying to figure that out. Now, we found some lacerations on her left forearm. Do any of you have any information as to how she obtained these?" All three men shook their heads. The doctor nodded.

"They appear to be self-inflicted." Gerard frowned and turned to Joey and Billie.

"Did either of you know-" They both shook their heads.

"Very well," the doctor said. "We are working as hard as we can. She appears to be having terrors. The best thing we can do is induce a coma, but we need your permission, Mr. Way." Gerard sighed, running his fingers through his hair.

"And she'll wake up from this?" he asked.

"Yes. We are able to terminate the coma at any time." Gerard nodded and signed the paper. The doctor nodded and walked down the hallway. Gerard sighed again and walked back to the waiting room, where the rest of the people were waiting. Joey turned back to the window.

"I want to talk to her," he said softly. Billie nodded, and they knocked on the door. One of the nurses opened it.

"Yes?" she said briskly.

"I'd like to speak to Jaelyn." The nurse looked him over and sighed.

"She won't be able to hear you, but go ahead." She let him pass, and, seeing him, the rest of the doctors left for a few minutes. Joey sat on a chair next to the bed. He took her hand in his. A tear rolled down his cheek as he saw her body forcefully twitching.

"Jaelyn?" Her body stilled, and he smiled, kissing her forehead. "Jaelyn, it's me... It's Joey." He could almost see a smile of relief on her face. "I'm right here, I'm not going anywhere. You have to let the doctors help you, okay? That's the only way you'll get better." He stood and looked at her left arm, at the multiple scars running up and down. He frowned and ran his fingers down it. Her body started convulsing again, and he pulled away from her left arm, holding her right hand in both of his.

"It's okay, Jaci. I promise." Her body stilled again, and her eyes opened a little. Joey smiled hopefully at her.

"You'll be okay, I promise." Her eyes fluttered shut again, and he pressed a kiss to her forehead. "You have to be okay...I can't live without you..." he whispered.