Green Day Baby

Tre vs Rosie

I woke up the next morning on the couch, next to Tre. The power went out late last night so we put on the fire place and we all crashed in the living room.
"Morning sweetie," my mom says from the kitchen. Without moving I look through the arch way into the kitchen to see her with Rosie on her lap.
"Morning mom," I yawn as I get up.
"She's cutie," she says as Rosie takes a bite out of a banana.
"Bew!" she squeals. "Baabaabaa!" she holds up her banana.
"Here," she says handing Rosie over, "I have to get ready for work."
"Rosie, Rosie, Rosie," I sigh as I open the fridge, to my delight the power is back.
"Baabaabaa!" she giggles as she takes another bite. I adjust her on my hip and grab the juice out of the fridge.

I sit her on the counter as I go to pour myself a glass. She starts to whine and point at the floor.
"Down?"
"Mmm!" she says pointing at the floor.
"Down."
"Down!" she says annoyed. I put her on the floor and she waddles off into the living room. I follow her with my eyes as I sip my juice as she goes up to where Tre is fast asleep.

"Tay!" she says and pauses to take another bite of banana, "Tay!" she seems slightly annoyed now, she slaps his forehead with her free hand, "TAY!"
"Ahh!" he says rubbing his forehead, she laughs. "No hitting!" her chin starts to wiggle and she bursts out crying. "Shh shh, I'm sorry, shh." I can't help but laugh.
"What's going on?" Mike mumbles as he rubs his eyes. "Oh Rosie," he says scooping her up, "How can you just let her cry like that?" he scolds at Tre.
"He's the one who made her cry," I say getting Mike's attention.
"It's okay, Tre is just an idiot," Mike coos. "Yes he is."
"I'm not an idiot! She hit me!" Tre pouts.
"She's a baby," Mike says rolling his eyes.
"She knew what she was doing," Tre glares at Rosie and she bursts out laughing, "How old is she anyway?"
"I think she's a year and a half," I say thoughtfully. Mike thinks for a second.
"Yeah that's about right."

"Alright boys, I'm off to work," my mom says from the doorway, "Don't forget to lock up when you leave."
"Yup," I say and turn to Mike and Tre. "Do we go to work?"
"Yeah," Mike says getting up, "Wait, don't we all work today?" the three of us stare at Rosie.
"Well I only work the afternoon," Tre says glancing at us.
"Maybe I can get the afternoon off," Mike says shrugging.
"Let's get going then," I say trying to find my shoes and jacket. The guys do the same and then Mike helps Rosie with her jacket.

We get back to the apartment and find three of our neighbors gathered around Adeena's door. Tre rocks Rosie in her arms.
"What's going on?" he asks nervously.
"I don't know," Mike says jumping a bit to see over their heads. I get aggravated and push past the neighbors and find myself standing over Adeena's still body. I kneel next to her and put my finger to her neck. No pulse and she's not breathing.
"Sh-sh-she's dead," I stutter as everyone at the doorway's eyes bulge.
"Don't listen Rosie," I hear Tre's voice crack.
"Someone call-oh fuck-call someone!" I yell not sure who to call when someone dies.
"I'll call 911," one of the neighbors say as she runs off.

"Mike gimme the keys, I don't want Rosie to see this," Tre says uneasily. Mike hands him the apartment keys and I find me and Mike just standing and staring at Adeena's body.
"O.D.?" I ask nervously.
"Most probably," Mike says glancing at the coffee table which is covered in small glass vials and a couple of syringes. Adeena's arms are all blue and her pants are soiled..
"I can't look at this," I say heading back to our apartment. I march past Tre to the kitchen sink and start scrubbing my hands.

"Is she really-" Tre gulps, "Dead?"
"Yeah," Mike says coming into the apartment.
"What's going to happen to Rosie?" Tre asks as he holds her close.
"I don't know," I say finally turning off the water. "I guess we'll just have to see how this pans out."
"Do you think she'll be sent to a foster home?" Tre asks worriedly, "I knew a guy who grew up jumping from foster home to foster home, he was really screwed up-"
"Tre just shut up!" Mike yells.

We spend the next fifteen minutes we sit in absolute silence, I think Rosie could sense the tension because she didn't say a word. We heard the hospital workers in the hallway taking away Adeena.