Green Day Baby

Rip My Heart Out and Let Me Bleed

One month later, Rosie had really made herself at home with us. We found a way to rearrange our work schedules so that at least one of us would be home with her. When we play gigs she'd stay with our neighbor. Rosie also learnt a shit load of new words and could do a lot of things by herself.

"Bewie!" She calls to as she runs out of the washroom proudly, "Flush!" I clapped my hands, Mike spent all of Saturday teaching her to use a toilette. The only thing she couldn't (or wouldn't) do is flush the toilette. I go into the washroom and press the flusher.
"Good job," I say as she goes off into the kitchen and opens the fridge. She takes out an orange and brings it up to me.
"Help." I peel the orange for her and she goes to sit in front of the TV to eat it. I can't believe how smart she is for a kid not even two yet.

"Blah, I work don't I?" Tre grumbles as he leaves his room, "Ahh, its already eleven."
"Yup," I say, taking my seat on the sofa.
"Tway!" Rosie squeals happily as she puts her half orange on the coffee table and runs up to him. "Hug!"

He drops to his knees with a thud and hugs her tightly.
"I love you," he reminds her. Last week when he was home, he found himself watching Oprah, an episode about children who feel unloved, so now he's always telling her she loves her.
"I wa-wa-wuv you," she says back.
"Did you hear that Bill!" Tre says excitedly.
"Yup."
"I wuv you Tway," She says, giggling, "I wuv you Bewie."
"YAY! I'm loved," I say hugging myself.

"Where Mike?" She asks. lifting her arms. Mike was the only name she could say perfectly.
"Work," Tre says clearly, to Rosie. Work was a word the pissed her off.

"Remember we have a gig tonight," I say as Tre releases Rosie from his grasp.
"Oh goody!" Tre says in the ultimate girly voice. "Can the wee punk come?" I look over at Rosie for a second.
"We'll have to find someone, who's not a druggy to watch her at the club."
"What about Lisea?" Tre suggests. Lisea is his newly acquired girlfriend who thinks it's, Absolutely sweet how we're taking care of Rosie.
"Yeah, if she's willing," I say, lying on the couch. I worked the graveyard shift last night so I'm one tired fuck.

I sleep most of my day away on the couch. Rosie would wake me up when she needed something but other than that she was content in watching TV all day. I wake up to find Tre shoving a piece of licorice up my nose while Mike and Rosie watch laughing.
"Ahh, you jerks!" I say pushing Tre away.
"Jerks! Jerks! Jerks!" Rosie cheers.
"Way to teach her to talk like a sailor." Mike laughs as he heads to the kitchen. I get up to see there's already a pot of spaghetti. "Dinner's ready."

We all help ourselves to a bowlful each and eat in front of the TV. Someone knocks at the door.
"You expecting anyone?" I ask my roommates.
"No," Mike says, getting up none the less. He answers the door and the cop who came to find Rosie a month earlier is standing there.

"Can I help you?" Mike asks nervously.
"Yes, an aunt of Rosie's has stepped up and offered to take care of her." We all remain speechless.
"But we've been-" Tre says slowly but I kick him.
"It's in her best interests," The cop says clearly, "she'll be living in a much safer environment than she is here. We've checked her aunt's record, her and her husband seem like model citizens. They have two kids already."
"You can't take her away from us!" Mike says, frustrated.
"I have the warrant," He says handing Mike a piece of paper. Mike reads it over, "Now if you please, can you pack up her stuff."

I go into my room where Rosie's stuff is and pack it into a large plastic bag.
"Bew!" She exclaims, crossing her arms, "What happen?" I try not to cry as I go up to her. I put on a fake smile.
"You're going to go for a car ride," I say sweetly, "You're going to meet some new people."
"Crying," She says, touching my face. I hug her tightly. Tre is next to say his goodbyes as I hand the bag to the police officer. Mike keeps re-reading the paperwork looking for a loophole. He's just delaying the inevitable, we all know there's no way we can keep her.

Mike picks her up and hugs her tightly. "I love you," he repeats several times before handing her over to the cop. That's when she starts to panic and she starts screaming her head off. "Mike! Mike!" She screams at the top of her lungs, "Tway! Bewie!"

Its simply heart-drenching to watch her screaming her head off as she's being carried away from us. The sound of her screaming my name remains ringing in my head, long after the cop has driven away.