Star Crossed

the bird

When she saw me in the locker room, I didn't know what to do.

I knew I wanted her to see me like this, but this so close to when I first met her? No.

She was beautiful; her body looked amazing in those ripped jeans and tight band tee.

I knew her. Of course, I didn't know everything about her, but I knew her. She was Gerald's little sister, I just didn't know her name.

I didn't learn it until Gerald introduced us. Blair.

He had told me little about her, only that she was a year younger than me. He just wouldn't tell me her name until I actually met her.

Yes, she was Gerald's little sister, and looked a lot like him. But her beauty was just too much for words to describe.

When he brought me over, all sweaty and horrible looking, to meet her, I was happy.

And that's when everything I believed in came true...

___

Blair was giving me a ride home since Gerald was "late for work". Actually, Gerald didn't have a job. I'll explain it all later.

The truck was silent. I didn't know many teenage girls with trucks here in Colorado, so it was a bit new to me. But, the seats were really comfy.

"Turn right here and then left onto Salamander Dr." She nodded. I could hear the faint beat of some music from the radio. I looked at her again. It was a bit hard to see her since she had black hair and it was almost 10:30 pm.

I had ended up staying later than I thought at the Frank's house. Mrs. Frank ended up putting in a movie and I stayed to watch it. Blair didn't seem very comfortable with me sitting right beside her on the couch, but it was a very comfy spot... and I wanted to be close to her.

After a few more minutes, Blair turned onto my road and I told her to stop at the fifth apartment building on the right. She did, stopping fully and shutting off the truck when I didn't get out right after. We sat in the dark, the radio silently yelling at us.

And in the dark, I can hear your heartbeat
I tried to find the sound
But then it stopped, and I was in the darkness,
So darkness I became


It was dark, I could hear her heart beat - or was that mine? - my hand flexed back and forth.

"Walk me to my door?" I asked. She nodded in the darkness; I couldn't see it but I knew she did.

I opened the truck door, she copied me. I hoped down from the seat, she simply put one foot on the ground. Blair was taller than me by almost a whole head. Why are almost all gymnasts short and most swimmers tall? It makes no sense...

Blair followed behind me as we walked to my apartment door. On the way, I was digging through my bag for my keys. Nikki, my roommate, was either passed out or not home yet so I didn't find any use in knocking.

My door came faster than I wanted.

"Thanks for the ride," I gave her a smile, she gave me one back. Gerald and she had the same smile.

"Don't worry about it. I don't have anything else to do."

My smile faltered for just a split second, but it went right back up before she could notice. I finally looked at her, for the real first time.

Her hair was straight, board straight, unlike Gerald's cute little black curls. She had sea foam blue eyes...

The moon, the stars, nothing could compare to the shine they gave off. If all the light had gone out, she would be my flashlight to find the on switch. It was like I could take that look she was giving me and shine it over the whole earth. The sun was just a big ball of yellow compared to those bright blue eyes.

There was no dawn, no day, no night, nothing but her. I know, I sound very cliché since I just actually met her this afternoon, but I felt like I had known her my whole life.

"Well, night." She turned to leave, but I grabbed her shoulder and stopped her.

"A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes..." She was tense, hearing me whisper those words into her ear. "I screamed aloud, as it tore through them, and now it's left me blind." I let go of her and watched as the muscles in her back tenses and untenses as she breathed in and out.

"He's not at work is he?" I shook my head, even though she couldn't see me. "He's never been at work as he?" Again, I shook my head. "Where is my brother, then?" I knew she knew the answer, she knew she knew the answer, but she still wanted me to say it.

"With Oliver, his boyfriend." Yes, Gerald was gay. I was just part of his show that he put on, making his parents think that he wasn't a "failure", as he called himself.

Blair turned to face me; she was grinning. "Do you believe in love at first sight?"

"Yes."

"Good, 'cause I thought I was starting to go crazy."

___

And we kissed. The stars had never shown so bright since that night, but we didn't notice since we were staring into each others eyes like a couple of lost lovers.

Now I knew what to write about for my "Star Cross'd" essay for Literature class.