Status: This is something my friend (samusdorothydarby) and I are writing and it's weird but cute. So enjoy!

Love Among the Pizza Boxes

Chapter 16: Riku

I hate the lighting in Dunkin’ Donuts.
It hurts my eyes.
I should’ve brought my glasses.
No. Then I would look like a tard.
And I can’t look like a tard in front of Shayla.
So I’m sitting at one of the really germy and really brightly colored tables in Dunkin’ Donuts.
Shayla’s sitting across from me.
Sora is leaning on the counter where the register is, looking like a dweeb in his apron and paper hat.
Kairi’s sitting on the counter in front of him, like an open invitation to stare at her butt. She's facing Shayla and I. Staring at me intently, her amazing sapphire eyes narrowed at me, determined to do… something. I dunno what.
Awkward.
“So, Riku, who’s this?” Sora asks. He’s not even paying attention to Kairi’s butt that’s all up in his business without his knowledge.
I open my big fat gob to say something, but breathe in deeply instead. Take a really long drink of my coffee to stall.
“I’m Shayla,” she says pleasantly, “And who are you?” She blinks pleasantly and takes a pleasant little sip of her coffee.
I tap her on the hand to get her attention, then motion with two fingers for her to lean closer.
“I’m Sora,” he says with a dorky grin and a thumb jab in his own direction.
Kairi giggles. “I’m Kairi.”
“Hey, uh… Shayla? I need to ask you a favor.” I speak in a very quiet voice so they can’t hear us.
“It’s nice to meet you.” She smiles and takes another sip of her coffee before leaning in across the table and tilting her head.
“Yeah… I kinda need you to pretend you’re my girlfriend. Just until we leave.”
Well.
That was awkward and hard to say.
You see, I had earlier told Sora and Kairi that I had a girlfriend to make Kairi jealous. But, I never thought things through. Because the only other girl I know is a girl named Bethany.
Bethany works at Pizza Hut, too. She’s sixteen and wears glasses and has a unibrow and a shaved head.
So the three year age difference would be a problem.
I’m not going to say anything about her looks.
Constance might.
But then she’ll get angry.
“I’m game.” She grins slyly, throws a glance at Sora and Kairi and takes my hand up in hers.
Oh. ……. Oh.
I’m very warm now. And when I’m very warm my skin turns a reddish pink color.
So basically speaking I’m blushing like crazy.
And my palms are sweaty.
Shiz, I didn’t think she’d agree.
My eyes are widening too.
I have to take a second to collect myself. So I chug the rest of my coffee.
Like it’s going to help my body temperature issue.
Maybe I’ll go ice fishing.
“Is she the girl you’ve been telling us about?” Sora asks.
Oh shiz.
“Thank you, Sora.” I grumble at him.
Kairi giggles.
I take a deep breath. Throw my coffee cup at the trash can. Miss. Sigh. Fidget a little and draw little circles on the back of Shayla’s hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
:) Yay. I love these guys...