Sequel: Take Aim At Myself

A Loaded God Complex.

Fashion Diasters

"Nice… hunting vest?" Pete noticed my blaze orange gear as soon as I walked up. I simply smiled and nodded, I finally believed we were on good terms again.

"I thought you had church today?" Nicole brushed some hair back to the top of her head. The mass of red quickly fell back and this time she ignored it.

Taking a spot next to the pair by the river, I opened my sandwich, "No, I didn't have to go. Well, my mom didn't want me to."

"I guess she found out about you and Ryan?" Nicole stated like it was any other conversation.

"Uh-huh, I told them."

"I always knew you were a happy fellow." Pete stared forward and kept an even tone. I shook my head and laughed heartily at the joke, Nicole joined once seeing my approval.

"Are they going to kick you out?" Nicole twirled her racquet and bounced it once or twice off her foot.

"I don't know." I crossed my arms and shrugged.

"If you need a place to crash, my house is open." Pete snickered, "It isn't like you can piss her off anymore than she already is." I sighed and returned the hand he was holding out for a high five.

"I don't want to talk about it anymore," I began lightly and then grumbled, "I have to go hunt with Ryan's dad in half an hour."

"I see." Nicole retorted. While Pete's reaction was much more impolite as he let out an 'ou' and covered his mouth.

"Is that even safe? I mean, he's a fucking alcoholic." Nicole and I went silent. There was a gasp, but that was about it. "What? Ryan told you that. Didn't he?" A smugness was coming out in his body language. It grew when our reactions became more shocked.

Why hadn't he ever told me? Why the heck would he tell Pete? Stunned, I knew I had to talk to Ryan about this, yet today didn't seem the day. I mean I couldn't, seeing as how he was at his mom's house today. The news only made me more uncomfortable to be with Mr. Ross, it was going to be the only thing on my mind when I saw him. More nerves sent waves in my stomach, I began to pick my sandwich apart, and then threw it in the river. Once I no longer held a sandwich in my hands, I joined Nicole and Pete in a game of badminton. We played a relaxed game up until I had to leave to meet up with Ryan's dad.

As quickly as my stress level decreased it went back up. Mr. Ross kept a few feet ahead of me the whole time and continuously looked over his shoulder.

"I'm sorry about that one day."

"What day?" He grunted out.

"Wh-When I trespassed." I felt awkward and felt flem slide down my throat.

"Oh yeah…" Mr. Ross said in a quiet garble. "You're lucky I didn't shoot you, boy."

"So, what do we d-do now?" I kept my voice low as we squatted in the grass.

"We wait." He said sounding annoyed and then his lips sealed for the next hour.

Not a sound was emitted from him the whole time, not a single leaf crumpled and not a single joint crack. When I made a noise a I received dirty looks. It only made me squirm more. It also made me realized that Ryan was a brave soul for living with such an intimidating man… that or I was a lamb.

"Come on, we're done," Mr. Ross commanded, I nodded silently and stood up unsteadily.

For once I was walking in front. I tried not to look back when I heard him open his canteen and listened to him gulping from it. Again, no words were exchanged. I kept my eyes on the black top in front of me, my head filled with a happy tune, and my hands fidgeting in my pockets. The footstep behind me had ceased and I ignored it since I figured he was taking another drink. I turned to when I heard a car coming.

"Look ou--" I threw a hand in the air and was stunned like a deer in the headlights. He stood in perfect posture with his bow drawn. In the milliseconds it took me to process, should I be shouting at him not to shoot or to move. With no answer Mr. Ross was hit from behind by a screeching green truck. It pulled a U-ie and was gone. My body was tense and my shoulders dropped as I let out a sigh. My mind was working again and I ran over to Mr. Ross.

Mr. Ross's bow was on the ground, arrows, some broken, littered the pavement around it. A boot was near the edge of the road and the other was inches in front of what should have been a foot. Shakily I approached the hit man and my eyes weren't lying. Still I tilted my head to make sure the angle I was at wasn't lying. Hooves laid limply on the ground, not being able to bare the sight I crouched down near his shoulders. Mr. Ross lifted his head and moaned in pain.

"I-- guh…" He held up a shaky hand as if reaching for mine, which was just as unsteady. Softly, he planted his head back down on the cement with a sigh. A moment of horror and aw passed and he managed to sit up with aide from me.

"Don't tell Ryan-" He coughed and cringed as pain must have shot through him.

"But, I think you should tell him about your… your um hooves." I suggested gently.

"No, no." His throat cracked and he coughed again, "That I tried to shoot you."

Mr. Ross's voice was plagued with regret and I couldn't help but forgive him right there. It wasn't a clear apology but, whatever it was, was genuine. This was the man I would have been if Ryan hadn't of come along. I would have become bitter, hating and hunting myself.

No one told Ryan that his dad was in the hospital until he came home from his mom's house later that weekend on Sunday night. Of course, everybody in the hospital found out about his feet and it got around town… but it wasn't that big of a deal. Now days Mr. Ross and I are on much better terms.

As for Ryan and I, you can find us around town whether it be helping at the nursing home or playing bad-mitten in the cemetery.
♠ ♠ ♠
ah yes, this is the end! I tried not to drag it out too long :D hoped you enjoyed!