Status: Active. Please rate and comment. :)

A Christmas to Remember

The Annoying Sister

Stephanie’s POV

I walked home with Mom after a day of shopping. I got a new sweater and gifts for everyone — not Mom, of course, or Dad. I always make theirs homemade. DJ will just accept just about anything. She usually returns it to the store for money.

“Well, Steph, are you excited to see your Uncle Jesse and Joey?” asked Mom.

“You betcha! This Christmas will be so much fun! I’m gonna make string popcorn, which is Joey’s favorite decoration,” I explained.

Mom laughed as she opened the door. Kimmy and D.J. were chatting on the stools while Uncle Jesse was making something for dinner. Dad and Joey were sitting at the table talking over cups of coffee. Dad had his 1# DAD mug that I got him last year.

“Howdy-ho, everyone!” I called out.

“Hey, Steph, what’s shaking,” Uncle Jesse said, giving me the usual greeting.

“Yo, my fellow cartoon lover. How about tomorrow, five-ish, TV?” asked Joey.

“It’s a date. What shall I wear?” I pretended to muse. I gave Joey a quick hug and then sat down beside D.J., grabbed a few carrots and tried to get involved with D.J.’s conversation.

“So, D.J., how’s the 4th grade?” I asked.

D.J. rolled her eyes. “Stephanie, I have a life. You have no life. Buzz off.”

“I do too have a life!” I protested.

Kimmy rolled her eyes, “Oh, puh-lease. Your date tomorrow is watching cartoons with a guy who still wears footie pajamas.”

“Uh… they’re actually Ninja Turtle pajamas,” Joey corrected.

“See what I mean?” Kimmy said to DJ.

“Well, at least I don’t have a monster for hair,” I said, giving D.J. a look.

Kimmy started to laugh. “You know, she got you there.”

D.J. rolled her eyes, but grinned. “Oh, you two. Come on, Kimmy, let’s go.” The two marched upstairs.

“Wait for me!” I shouted and ran after them.

That is why I hate sisters,” Uncle Jesse pointed out as I left. Mom just rolled her eyes, and then laughed.

D.J.’s POV

“OK, I found out that Dad is keeping the Christmas presents in his closet,” I whispered to Kimmy.

“All right, but what does this have to do with me?” asked Kimmy, putting her hands on her hips.

“I’ve told you a million times. The presents that I don’t like and have no value go to you,” I explained for what seemed like the millionth and one time.

“Oh, yeah!” Kimmy said as she came to that realization. We were soon interrupted by the annoying little sister, Stephanie.

“Hey, guys!” Stephanie said happily.

Kimmy and I groaned. “Steph, can’t you just go play with Mom, or Joey, or something?” I suggested.

Stephanie placed her finger on her chin. “Hmm, no.”

“OK squirt, if you leave, I’ll pay you a nickel,” bribed Kimmy, taking out change from her pocket.

“Quarter,” Steph suggested.

“Dime,” said Kimmy.

“Fifteen cents,” replied Stephanie.

“Deal,” said Kimmy, handing over the change. Stephanie then turned and skipped away, humming Christmas Carols.

“Oh no, she’s becoming like Dad,” I whispered. Kimmy nodded her agreement.

We were about to open the door when Dad came walking up the stairs. Immediately, Kimmy and I ran for the cover of our room.

“This stinks,” Kimmy said.

“You’re right. Kimmy, did you put on deodorant?” I asked, holding my nose.

“No, but that’s not what stinks. The thing is, I didn’t find out what the presents were, and I lost fifteen cents to that squirt that you call your sister,” Kimmy complained.

“Kimmy, suck it up like a real Gibbler,” I said, rolling my eyes.

“D.J., I suggest you tell that to my mom when she’s on one of her diets,” Kimmy pointed out in reply while giving me a stern look for once. I blinked in surprise.

When I think about it now, I realized that Kimmy did have a good point there, of course.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, what do you think so far? I hope you like it. Thanks for all the comments. :) That means a lot to me. (On the plus side, today I’m 23 years old. :)