Status: Complete 12/14/11

Scream Me a Dream

Chapter 14: A Notebook of Dance

Thursday May 13, 2010
11:30am


Soya sighed as she settled down behind her desk and moved the mouse of the desktop computer that sat humming peacefully. It had been three days since she had last seen Ville, though they did talk every evening, either before he headed out with his friends or before she went to bed. Resting her chin in her hand, she clicked on the internet icon on the desktop and went into her e-mail, sighing when she saw one from Anya.

Anya had sent her an e-mail everyday that she had been gone, with the itinerary for her classes. It was getting a bit annoying for Soya, who knew exactly what need to taught, seeing, as she was the one that had set up the standards for the classes.

Opening Anya’s message, it was full of instructions on what Soya was supposed to go over with Anya’s class with her older students. This was the class that Soya looked forward to everyday that she taught it, especially when she taught full time. It was a class with girls and boys, ages fifteen to eighteen years old all in advanced dance.

While she loved teaching her younger kids, mostly for the look of joy that came across their faces when they landed their first jump or did their first pirouette, there was something about teaching her older students that left Soya fulfilled and leaving her studio proud of herself.

Making sure she wrote the notes that Anya had left for her in her notebook, she looked at the clock and sighed, she still had an hour and a half before the class actually started and she couldn’t go down to the classroom because another teacher was using it for her Pilates class.

Taking her cell, she contemplated calling Josef before she remembered that he had gone down to the company’s studio to get together with the main dancers. She smiled remembering how proud he had been when a girl started crying the minute he had walked in the door on his first day, a personal record for him. Biting her lip, she wondered if Ville was up, before dialing the number.

XxxxxxX

Ville looked over at Bam as he raised his hands in triumph after beating Raab at some video game, shaking his head in amusement he went back to his book, only to look back up when he heard the familiar ring of his phone. He grabbed it from the table beside him, before Bam had a chance to and answered, not bothering to check the caller ID.

“Hello?”

“I’m bored.”

Ville smiled as he stood up from the couch, walking down to the Pirate Bar, unnoticed, with his book, before settling down on the stool. “Aren’t you at the studio?”

“Yes,” Soya sighed. “But my next class isn’t for another hour and a half. I have nothing to do until then. Entertain me.”

“How would you like me to entertain you?” he laughed.

“I don’t know.” Soya whined, causing him to laugh. “What are you doing?”

“I was reading.”

“Reading what?”

He looked down at the tattered book of Poe’s short stories and answered. “Poe.”

“Is that the only book you have with you?”

“Doesn’t matter how many times I read them, the stories never get old.”

“You don’t have to defend your choice to me.” Soya laughed.

“I saw a book on your nightstand when I was over, didn’t have a chance to see what it was. What was it?”

“Much like you, I have my own author I enjoy reading over and over again, and her name is Sylvia Plath. I’m reading“The Bell Jar” for the hundredth time.” Soya teased herself.

“Depressing much.” Ville teased back.

“And yours isn’t?” Soya laughed. “We make quite a pair don’t we?”

“Mmm.” Ville murmured, as he watched the sliding door leading from the backyard open, Missy smiled at him as she let the cats into the house before she moved around him to the refrigerator to his side. “Että teemme.”(That we do.) He said, causing Missy to look up at him with a frown.

“You’re speaking Finnish.” Soya accused.

“Olen.”(I am)

“Why did you switch?” Soya asked, he could hear the confusion in her voice.

“Miksei?” (Why not?)

“Ville! Tell me why?” she laughed.

“Tuntui että.”(I felt like it) He laughed as Missy continued to look at him oddly, as she unscrewed the cap to her water.

“Valehtelija!”(Liar!) She laughed. “Is someone else in the room with you? Are you embarrassed to be talking to me?” she teased.

“Olet harmittaa, te tiedätte, että?”(You’re annoying, you know that?.) he teased.

“So I’ve been told.” Soya laughed. “So who’s in the room with you?”

“Bam vaimo.”(Bam’s wife) Ville answered, smiling over at Missy, who was still looking at him oddly before she walked past him with a small wave walking up the stairs towards the living room where the rest of the boys were.

“Hey babe.” Missy said as she wrapped her arms from behind Bam to rest on his chest. “Who’s Ville talking to?”

Bam frowned as he looked around the living room, to the corner of the couch where Ville was sitting not twenty minutes ago, reading. “Where is he?”

“He’s talking down at the Pirate Bar with someone, I could have sworn I heard him talking English and then I walked in and he switched to Finnish.”

Bam frowned as he got off the couch going towards the Pirate Bar, but instead of going all the way down, he sat on one of the steps out of Ville’s sight, but still within hearing range.

“I don’t know.” He heard Ville say. “I don’t want anyone else knowing my business is all.” There was silence while the other person talked causing Ville to laugh. “Yes, I consider you business….there’s no need for offence!” he laughed. “I just like keeping you to myself for a while, its bad enough I have to share you with Linde and Mige…”

Bam looked to his side where Dunn settled down next to him; Bam put his finger to his lips for Dunn to keep quiet, while Dunn raised his chin, questioning what they were doing. “Ville’s taking to someone.” Bam whispered.

“Dude, this isn’t right.” Dunn whispered back, not noticing that the conversation from below had stopped.

“Why not, I just wanna know who he’s talking to.”

“And that’s an invasion of privacy.” Ryan pointed out, though he knew Bam wouldn’t care.

“Ryan’s right.”

They both looked to the bottom of the stairs to see Ville standing there, phone still to his ear, while his eyebrow rose in question.

“Since when do I give a shit about privacy?” Bam asked them both.

“I would hope that you respect me enough to give me five minutes on the phone.” Ville told Bam only to frown at his phone. “Don’t laugh.”

“We’ve been talking for twenty minutes Ville.”Soya told him with another giggle.

“Has it been that long?” Ville frowned.

“Entertaining me has its price.” Soya said, her voice holding a haughty tone, though he could tell she was teasing.

Ville shook his head, and turned back to Bam. “Did you need something?”

“Just wanted to know who you’re talking to.” Bam told him. “Missy said you switched languages on her and she found that weird.”

“Told you it wasn’t normal behavior.” Soya sing-songed in his ear.

Ville sighed. “I’m talking to Soya,”

“Oh.” Bam muttered. “You can talk to her upstairs you know, you didn’t have to come down here.”

“I know.” Ville said slowly, “I’ll meet you back upstairs in a minute; I’m going to grab my book.”

Bam nodded and followed Dunn upstairs, while Ville grabbed his book from the counter and started up the stairs.

“I’m still bored.” Soya sighed as she fiddled with her iPod that she had connected to the iHome that sat on her desk.

“What are you doing now?” Ville asked, she could hear him moving and she assumed that he was going to the living room with the rest of his friends.

“Playing with my iPod.”

“How long do you have until your next class?” she heard the squeak of the leather as he sat down and sighed.

“An hour, are you with the rest of the boys?”

“I am,”

“And look at that no Finnish.” She teased.

“Voin aloittaa uudelleen, jos haluat.”(I can start again, if you want.) He taunted, though Bam glared at him when he heard the Finnish.

“Its fine!” she laughed. “As much as I love that I have business coming in, I hate that all the studios are being used right now.”

Ville frowned as he remembered the layout of her studio. “I thought you didn’t have classes in the room upstairs.”

Soya froze. “I don’t…” she said slowly, as she looked down at her iPod and saw that her finger had stopped its circling motion on the ‘H’ section of her music. “Oh!”

“You’ve found entertainment.” Ville said.

“I have, but I need a favor.”

“For you anything.”He teased.

“Call me in exactly one hour.”

“What?”Ville asked confused.

“One hour, exactly, five minutes to one, you need to call and keep calling until I answer.” Soya told him as she kicked off her flats that she had worn to work and grabbed her ballet shoes from their peg, going towards the studio across from her office.

“All right, one hour.”

“Thank you, I’ll talk to you later.” Soya smiled. “And thanks for the idea.”

“I’m not sure what idea, but you’re welcome.”

“One hour Ville.”

“Lupaan,” he said with a nod, receiving another glare from Bam. “Yksi tunti.”(I promise, one hour.)

“Kiitos.”(Thank you) Soya said before she hung up, causing Ville to look at his phone, before he hung up the call himself.

“What did Soya want?” Bam asked, wincing when his voice came out harsh, apparently Ville noticed too because his eyebrow shot upwards, while Missy rammed her elbow into his side.

“She was bored; her next class isn’t for another hour, so she called.”

“Needy?” Bam asked, causing Missy to ram him again.

“Be nice.” Missy said with a glare.

“Yes, Bam-Bam, be nice,” Ville smirked. “You do know that eventually you’re going to have to share me right?”

“I don’t have to do shit.” Bam muttered crossing his arms over his chest.

Ville sighed. “Look, I know you don’t know Soya very well, but if you take the time to talk to the women, you’ll find that she’s a very interesting person.”

“Is that what you’re attracted to Valo?” Ryan asked with a smirk. “The fact that she’s interesting?”

Ville raised his hand flipping Ryan off, causing the bearded man to laugh. “Give Soya a chance Bam-Bam, she’s spending a week here, so you’re going to have to get use to not only her, but sharing me.”

“Yeah, sharing toys, didn’t you learn that in like kindergarten?” Raab asked with a laugh.

“I’m not going to be here to at least help even the playing field Bam, she’s going to be the only girl in the house, with an occasional visit from April, I want you to be nice when she gets here.” Missy told him.

“I will be. Why do you expect any different?” Bam asked his wife.

“Because you’re Bam fucking Margera.” Missy said with a roll of her eyes. “I know you better,” she looked at the rest of the men scattered around the living room. “That doesn’t just go for Bam, that goes for all of you. Best behavior guys.”

Ville laughed. “Trust me, she doesn’t expect you to roll out the red carpet, she’s use to hanging out with a group of guys. She was always with me, Mige and Linde, and her best friend is a man, she’s use to being around them. She’s just a bit nervous because she doesn’t know you guys…and you have a bit of a reputation.”

“So what?” Bam asked with a raised eyebrow. “I’m supposed to act like a completely different person just to make some chick feel better. Fuck that.”

“I’m not asking you to change at all.” Ville said with a shake of his head. “I would never ask that of anyone, I just don’t want you to be overtly mean, like you tend to be with people you’re not fond of.”

“Who says I’m not fond of her?” Bam asked, causing the group to laugh, while Ville stared at him in disbelief.

“Bam, you wouldn’t be putting up this much of a fight for someone you liked.” He settled back on the arm of the couch and opened his book again, resting the spine on his knees. “Soya isn’t going anywhere Bam, we’ve been apart for thirteen years and we’re not going to let go now that we’ve found each other again. Even if I had the choice to let her go, Linde and Mige would not allow it and frankly I don’t want the choice. I really hope you learn to accept her.” With that said, he set the alarm on his phone to remind himself to call Soya then started back on “Fall of the House of Usher” where he had left off when Soya had called.

XxxxxxX

Soya stood in the middle of the room, staring at herself in the mirror as Ville’s voice filled the room. She stood up straight trying to control her breathing before she walked back over to the stereo and started the song over, thinking about the tweaks she had to do to the dance, only to growl in frustration, remembering her notebook wasn’t with her but in her room, sitting on the bed where she had left it that morning.

She was about to press play, when she heard her cell phone start vibrating on the floor, the chirping coming from it getting progressively louder the longer she left it ringing. Grabbing it from the floor, she answered, still out of breath.

“Hello?”

“It’s been an hour,” Ville said into her ear. “Have you been dancing?”

“Mmm, I have.” She said, turning off the stereo, unplugging her iPod and walking to her office, only to wince when she found herself limping. “Oh hell.” She muttered, shaking her head at herself.

“Soya?”

“Hmm.”

“You all right?” Ville asked, concern lacing his voice.

“I’m fine.” She said.

“You’re out of breath.” Ville pointed out.

“Forgot to get water.” She laughed. “I haven’t stopped since I hung up with you,” she leaned down and grabbed the water from her mini fridge that was hidden underneath papers, before she grabbed the notebook that was lying on top of the desk. “It was a good work out; I haven’t danced like that all week.”

“You’ve been teaching, don’t you dance with them?” Ville asked.

“It’s not the same; it’s very stop and go, especially with the younger students.” She explained as she walked down the stairs, to the store part of the studio, smiling at a few of the parents who were waiting for their kids to come out of their class.

“Were you practicing for something?” Ville asked.

“Not really.” She admitted, as she smiled at Brooke and walked into her class, only to be bombarded by the squeals of girls as she got hugged.

“Miss Soya!” The girls laughed as they hugged her.

“Hi girls.” Soya laughed as she hugged some of them with one arm.

“Who are you talking to?” one of the girls asked as they separated and allowed Soya to walk further into the room.

“None of your business.” Soya laughed as she closed the door and walked over to the stereo, some of the girls following her. “I have some fans in this class you know.” She said into her phone.

Ville laughed. “Do you?”

“I’m talking about die-hard fans.” Soya said, watching in interest as some of the girls stared at her curiously. She shook her head in amusement. “Don’t stare to hard girls, start your exercises while I set up, boys off the wall and into your spot.” She said pointing to the group of five boys that were standing in the corner talking.

“Really, Miss. Soya, who are you talking too?” Regan Ronalds asked, he was one of her advanced students that had been with her from when she first opened her studio. “Is it your boyfriend?”

Soya rolled her eyes. “Regan, if you knew who was on the other end, you would scream like a girl.” Knowing that one of the main reasons Regan loved taking her class was because she had them dance to a lot of rock, including HIM.

“I doubt it.”

“I want to say 'hi'!” Ville said with a laugh.

Soya plugged in her iPod and flipped her notebook to the correct page as she laughed. “Are you sure?”

“Positive!” Ville laughed.

Soya shook her head as she stood up and walked to her group. “All right, you guys want to know who’s on the other end?” she teased.

“Yes!” the group shouted.

She laughed at their eagerness. They usually weren’t so nosy, but then again she didn’t usually come to class with her phone attached to her ear. She just found it so hard to hang up on Ville once they started talking. “Fine,” she said with a roll of her eyes she took the phone away from her ear and put it on speakerphone. “Ville say ‘hi’ to my class, class say ‘hi’ to Ville Valo.”

“Hello.” Came from the phone, followed by a high-pitched scream.

Soya looked up and laughed when she saw Regan holding his hands to his mouth, his eyes wide with shock.

“What was that?” Ville asked, “It didn’t come from my end.”

“It came from mine.” Soya laughed.

“Ah, thought maybe Bam had done something to one of the guys.”

Bam!” Jasmine, one of the girls, mouthed in shock.

“How do you know Miss. Soya?” Brady, another of the boys asked, still shocked that Ville Valo was on the phone.

“We’re old friends from Finland.” Ville answered. “You guys are very lucky to have her as a teacher, you know?”

“We know.” Jasmine smiled. “We like her so much better then Ms. Anya.”

“Hey!” Soya laughed. “That’s not nice.”

“Why do you like her better?” Ville asked, clearly amused.

“Don’t humor them!” Soya admonished.

“Don’t get us wrong, Ms. Anya is a great teacher. She was hand-picked by Miss. Soya.” Brady explained. “Ms. Anya is just a bit more rigid.”

“She likes structure.” Soya explained. “She’s definitely more of a traditionalist when it comes to teaching Ballet.”

“And you aren’t?” Ville asked.

“Not when we’re dancing to HIM.” Regan said, causing Soya to blush, she hadn’t told Ville any of that.

“Wait, wait, wait.” Ville laughed. “You dance to our songs, Soya, you never told us that.”

“She choreographed an entire number to “Resurrection” and “Dead Lovers Lane” that won us last year’s competition!” Emmy, another of the girls that had found her voice, said.

“Why in the world wouldn’t you tell us this Soya?!” Ville asked, stunned. “I didn’t even think it was possible for someone to choreography any type of dance to any of our songs. The fact that you did…does Linde know? You always told Linde shit like this.” Ville muttered.

“We have it videotaped!” Brady said.

“Bring it with you.” Ville said. “I want to see it, better yet I want to see you dance it.”

“How come you haven’t told him about it?” Jasmine asked. “You have an entire notebook-”

Soya cut her off with wide eyes, covering Jasmine’s mouth with her hand.

“Kokonainen muistikirja! Jumala, Soya, täällä kerroitte meille, että olet tehnyt mitään tärkeää elämässäsi ja voit piilottaa tämän?!”(An entire notebook! God, Soya, here you are telling us that you've done nothing important in your life and you hide this?) Ville said quickly, frustration lacing his voice, which Soya knew was half the reason he had switched to Finnish.

“I wasn’t hiding it.” Soya muttered, taking him off speakerphone.

“I want to know these things.” he said quietly.

“I know.” Soya said, “I was going to tell you.”

“Really?” He asked full of skepticism.

“Of course, you know, eventually.” She hedged.

“So when I found the notebook or when Josef told me?”

“One or the other, it’s embarrassing Ville.”

“How is it embarrassing?”

Soya sighed, and smiled at her class. “You should see the amount of trophies they’ve won,” Soya said. “Most of them to your songs.”

“Most?” Ville smirked.

“Most.” Soya nodded. “I’ll talk to you later, I should probably start my class.”

“All right, you know I wouldn’t mind watching your class perform.”

“Really?” Soya asked surprised.

“Really.”

Soya bit her lip and smiled. “They have a showcase in two weeks.”

“I’ll be in the area; I have no reason not to stop by.”

“I’ll let them know, maybe that’ll make them work harder.” Soya teased. “Talk to you tonight?”

“Of course, bye Soya.”

“Bye.” Soya said quietly shutting her phone and looking at her class.

“Sorry we got you in trouble.” Regan said with a shy smile.

“I’m not in trouble.” Soya laughed. “I just hadn’t told him that I use their songs, I haven’t told him a lot and I plan on keeping it that way. Now.” She walked back over to the stereo. “I know Ms. Anya has something a bit more traditional planned for the showcase, and we’ll still practice that number in this class.” She said looking at the time. “But first, I hope you all remember the number to ‘Dead Lovers Lane.’.”

“But we’ve already performed that one.” Emmy pointed out.

“True.” Soya nodded as she motioned for them to get in their places. “But I think it would be wise to practice it so Mr. Valo can see it when he comes to the showcase.”

“He’s coming?” Regan asked with wide eyes.

“Ville is curious by nature, he’s interested to see you guys dance, doesn’t hurt that we’re using one of his songs, does it?” Soya laughed as she nodded for them to get ready. “And…” she pressed play. “one, two, three, one, two, three, four, and down!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you all enjoyed the newest chapter and thank you to all of those who commented on the last!

As always I adore feedback, I want to know what you enjoy and what you don't. It helps knowing this stuff when I write chapters.

Next chapter will be up Wednesday!

-Kassandra